Are you looking for a fee-only registered investment advisor (RIA) but don't know where to start? Well, you're in luck.
They factored in several metrics to come up with a financial advisor ranking, including assets under management, the number of professionally-designated CFP or CFA staffers on staff, number of years in the business, and the past five years of annualized growth. The formula was then applied to Meridian-IQ’s RIA database to come up with the top 100 firms. In the event of a tie, the firm with greater assets under management was placed higher. The full list, which also includes location, contact information and average account size, can be found here. (For related reading, see: Paying Your Investment Advisor: Fees or Commissions)
The final step in creating the list entailed applying a compliance review, which checked all the names for complaints of misconduct with state regulators, insurance commissioners, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority. Any firms that had any actions or complaints leveled against them were taken off the list. (For related reading, see: Fiduciary Designations For Financial Advisors)
The ranking, which includes each firm’s web address and total assets under management, is as follows:
1. Creative Planning
2. Halbert Hargrove
3. Wescott Financial Advisory Group
4. Burt Wealth Advisors
5. Point View Wealth Management
6. Adams Hall Wealth Advisors
7. SMF Financial Advisors
8. Silveroak Wealth Management
9. Carl Domino
10. Regency Investment Advisors
12. Inverness Counsel
13. Foster Group
14. Bloom Asset Management
15. Lodestar Private Asset Management
16. Carlson Capital Management
17. CPS Investment Advisors
18. Jackson Thornton Asset Management
19. Jones Barclay Boston & Co.
20. Financial Designs Corp.
21. Segall Bryant & Hamill
22. BKD Wealth Advisors
24. Warren Averett Asset Management
25. LBMC Investment Advisors
26. Durbin Bennett Peterson Private Wealth Management
27. Capital Performance Advisors LLP
28. Windham Brannon Financial Group
29. Heritage Investment Group
30. Sanderson Wealth Management
31. Lutz Financial
32. PBMares Wealth Management
33. KR Financial Services
34. Kraft Asset Management
35. Buckingham Asset Management
36. Balasa Dinverno Foltz
37. South Texas Money Management
39. Waddell & Associates
40. Beaird Harris Wealth Management
41. Sandhill Investment Management
42. DT Investment Partners
43. Schenck Investment Solutions
44. Wagner Bowman Management Corp
45. Fiduciary Financial Services of the Southwest
46. HBC Financial Services
47. Lowery Thomas
48. Matter Family Office
49. Empirical Wealth Management
50. Grandfield & Dodd
51. AKT Wealth Advisors
52. PrairieView Partners
53. Kuntz Lesher Capital
54. Tellone Management Group
55. Mason Road Wealth Advisors
56. Pennington Financial Group
57. McCarthy Asset Management
58. Geller Family Office Services
59. Jacobsen Capital Management
60. Disciplined Investments
61. Brighton Jones
62. Foster & Motley
63. Dean Investments
64. SB Capital Management
65. The Proper Analysis Corp.
66. Thor Investment Management
67. Asset Strategies
68. White Oaks Wealth Advisors
69. East Coast Asset Management
70. GreerWalker Wealth Management
71. William Mack & Associates
72. Whitener Capital Management
73. Crowley Wealth Management
74. Pathstone Family Office
75. Raffa Wealth Management, LLC
76. Kyle Financial Services
77. Mercer Global Advisors
78. Smith & Howard Wealth Management
79. Lehman Financial Resources
80. Cranbrook Wealth Management
81. Rockbridge Investment Management
83. Alexander Randolph Advisory
84. Commonwealth Advisory Group
85. Weaver C. Barksdale & Associates
86. TFO Phoenix
87. New Wealth Advisors
88. The Golub Group
89. GHP Investment Advisors
90. Valicenti Advisory Services
91. KEB Asset Management
92. Daniels + Tansey
93. Carter Asset Management
94. Investment Advisory Professionals
95. Tricapital Advisors
96. Pathway Financial Advisors
97. Red Door Wealth Management
98. Landmark Wealth Management
99. Onyx Financial Advisors
100. The Mosaic Financial Group
SavingsLike most things in life, the effort and thought you put into something will determine what you get out of it. It's no different with a financial advisor.
RetirementStressed caregivers in need of help managing their loved one's affairs should consider enlisting a financial advisor.
ProfessionalsUnderstanding one's own needs and what different advisors do are critical elements in the selection process.
ProfessionalsWomen's wealth is increasing and so is their need for a solid financial plan. Savvy advisors should be taking advantage.
ProfessionalsThese finance professionals have different titles and areas of expertise. Find out what you should know before you consult a financial advisor.
Personal FinanceMany investors are intimidated by the financial services industry, but just a little work can make a major difference.
SavingsLearn how the ultra-rich solve the problems the rest of the world would love to have with apps such as JetSmarter, SlipFinder and the Tesla Model S.
Stock AnalysisExamine the current state of Starbucks in relation to its major competitors in the coffee shop business, including Dunkin' Donuts and McDonald's.
ProfessionalsTake a look at five primary reasons why financial advisors still choose to recommend mutual funds over other types of investment vehicles.
ProfessionalsAs the cost of managed care continues to rise a new breed of hybrid life insurance offers a reasonable level of protection at a far more affordable price.
Life insurance companies are facing a challenging environment. Those that sell variable annuities have been able to mitigate ... Read Full Answer >>
Keep all tax-related records for at least three years. For example, keep your 2015 tax return, filed in early 2016, at the ... Read Full Answer >>
Working capital can be negative if a company's current assets are less than its current liabilities. Working capital is calculated ... Read Full Answer >>
Prepayments, or prepaid expenses, are typically included in the current assets on a company's balance sheet, as they represent ... Read Full Answer >>
A hedge fund manager does not necessarily need any specific license to operate a fund, but depending on the type of investments ... Read Full Answer >>
A hedge fund analyst primarily provides support to a portfolio manager on how to best structure the hedge fund's investment ... Read Full Answer >>