The massive Tax Reform Act of 1986 first introduced the concept of the "kiddie tax". For the next 20 years, any unearned income above a certain threshold earned by a child under the age of 14 was taxed at the parents' tax rate. The Tax Increase Prevention and Reconciliation Act of 2005 (TIPRA) expanded the scope of this tax. In this article, we'll show you the positives and negatives to the new rules regarding the "kiddie tax"..

Tutorial: Education Savings Accounts

Socking Away Money for College
Understanding how children are taxed is very important when determining how to best save money for their college education. For 2011, the first $950 of net investment income earned by a child generally isn't taxed, and the next $950 is taxed at a rate of either 5% or 10%, depending on the type of income earned. To find out how to help your kids make and save money, see What Are You Teaching Your Kids About Money?

Any income above that $1,900 (for 2011) threshold is taxed based on your child's age as follows:

  • Children under the age of 18: Your child's net investment income earned during the year that exceeds the $1,900 threshold is taxed at your marginal tax rate.
  • Children over the age of 18: Your child's income is taxed using the same tables that apply to adults (filing single, if they are single, etc). For 2011, the first $8,700 of net taxable income is taxed at 10%, and then the next $26,650 ( $35,350 - $8,700) is taxed at 15%. As with all taxpayers, corporate dividends and long-term capital gains are taxed at a lower rate.

Also, starting in 2008, children as old as 23 may be taxed under kiddie tax rules if they are full-time students and their earned income provides at least half of their support. Now that the kiddie tax applies to children through age 17, it makes even more sense to save for your child's college education either in your own name or within a 529 Plan or Coverdell Education Savings Account (ESA). Previously, when the kiddie tax only affected children 13 and under, you had three or four years prior to your child's high school graduation to liquidate investments held in their name in anticipation of paying for college while still taking full advantage of the lower tax rates. (To learn more about saving for your kids, see Don't Forget The Kids: Save For Their Education And Retirement.)

Your child also can invest in buy-and-hold strategies to save money until they turn 18. Because your child can still make a wage (which is not covered by kiddie tax), he or she can also invest that money in shares, like growth stocks, that won't earn much or any income until they are sold, which should occur after the child turns 18. This allows the child to get the added bonus paying a lower capital gains rate on any securities that are liquidated.

There are other variables to consider as well. Investments made in a child's name may reduce the amount of financial aid available to your family. And if your child receives a full scholarship or decides not to go to college, any money saved in that child's name becomes his or her property upon reaching your state's age of majority. (Don't forget that the Pension Protection Act of 2006 made tax-free distributions from 529 plans permanent.)

Reporting the Kiddie Tax
For 2011, if your child was under the age of 18 as of December 31 and earned more than $950 in interest, dividends, capital gains and other unearned income, you need to choose between the following two options when reporting that income to the IRS:

  • Form 8814: This form is used when electing to include your child's income on your tax return instead of preparing a separate income tax return for that child.
  • Form 8615: This form is used to calculate the kiddie tax when preparing a separate tax return for your child.

For the most part, the taxes owed on your child's income will be similar whether you include that income on your tax return or prepare separate tax returns for each of your kids.

It's a Balancing Act
Funding a child's education continues to get more complicated. As the tax rules continue to evolve, it remains unlikely that the government will increase funding for college education any time soon; therefore, saving for college has become a balancing act between tuition projections in excess of a quarter of a million dollars, an increasing array of confusing tax breaks for parents and students, and diminishing financial aid opportunities.

Related Articles
  1. Retirement

    How Are 401(k) Withdrawals Taxed for Nonresidents?

    As a U.S. nonresident, deciding what to do with your 401(k) after you return home comes down to which tax penalties, if any, you're willing to incur.
  2. Economics

    Explaining Corporate Tax

    A corporate tax is a tax levied on the profits a corporation generates.
  3. Taxes

    The 5 Countries Without Income Taxes

    Discover information on some of the best countries to consider relocating to that offer the financial benefit of charging no income tax.
  4. Retirement

    How Much Can You Contribute to Your 401(k)?

    Given the fairly high compensation limits on these retirement plans, most workers can pitch in more than they currently do.
  5. Taxes

    Tax Haven Vs. Tax Shelters: Is There a Difference?

    Learn about the difference between tax havens and tax shelters, and how both are used to reduce tax liability or avoid paying taxes altogether.
  6. Taxes

    Countries With The Highest & Lowest Corporate Tax Rates

    The United States is No. 2 in the world for its high corporate tax rate. There are ways around paying it, and many nations with lower rates are worse off.
  7. Entrepreneurship

    START-UP NY: How a Tax-Free Zone Would Work

    START-UP NY is an initiative designed to attract companies to New York State by giving them 10 years of tax breaks. Sounds good, but is it a success?
  8. Economics

    Explaining Fair Market Value

    Fair market value is the price at which a buyer and seller are willing to exchange a good.
  9. Budgeting

    Top 10 Ways College Students Can Save Money

    College costs are soaring, but fortunately, there are several ways for college students to save money - and some are quite painless.
  10. Personal Finance

    8 Ways to Find Cheap Textbooks

    Textbooks are so expensive. What are the tricks to find cheaper books?
  1. Why is the Cayman Islands considered a tax haven?

    The Cayman Islands is one of the most well-known tax havens in the world. Unlike most countries, the Cayman Islands does ... Read Full Answer >>
  2. Why is Panama considered a tax haven?

    The Republic of Panama is considered one of the most well-established pure tax havens in the Caribbean due to extensive legislation ... Read Full Answer >>
  3. How do I get out of my annuity and transfer to a new one?

    If you decide your current annuity is not for you, there is nothing stopping you from transferring your investment to a new ... Read Full Answer >>
  4. Are Cafeteria plans exempt from Social Security?

    Typically, qualified benefits offered through cafeteria plans are exempt from Social Security taxes. However, certain types ... Read Full Answer >>
  5. Why is Andorra considered a tax haven?

    Andorra is one of many locations around the globe considered a tax haven because of its relatively lenient tax laws. However, ... Read Full Answer >>
  6. Do financial advisors prepare tax returns for clients?

    Financial advisors engage in a wide variety of financial areas, including tax return preparation and tax planning for their ... Read Full Answer >>

You May Also Like

Trading Center
You are using adblocking software

Want access to all of Investopedia? Add us to your “whitelist”
so you'll never miss a feature!