Avoiding expensive consequences of improperly handling your IRA assets means knowing which transactions will result in penalties. Some of these transactions are well known while others are not. To help you prevent being caught off guard, we explain some of the common transactions and mistakes that could result in IRS penalties on your IRA assets or IRA-related transactions.

Early-Distribution Penalty If you are under age 59.5 when a distribution occurs from your IRA, you may have to pay an early-distribution penalty (also referred to as a 10% additional tax) on the gross distribution amount. The IRS makes exceptions to the 10% early-distribution penalty if you meet certain requirements. If you qualify for one of these or any other exception, you must either have the IRA custodian/trustee report the distribution as one that meets an exception or file the necessary IRS forms to claim the exception (see below for details). Improper reporting could result in having to pay penalties that could have been avoided. (For more insight, see Can I take money out of my IRA if I'm still working?)

Tax on Excess Contributions Each year there is a maximum limit on the amount you may contribute to an IRA. For instance, for 2010, the limit is $5,000. Contributions in excess of the limit are referred to as "excess contributions", and they must be removed (plus any earnings or minus any losses) by your tax-filing deadline (including extensions) for the year. For instance, if you made an IRA excess contribution in May of this year, the excess amount must be removed from your IRA by April 15 of next year (plus tax-filing extensions). If the excess amount is not removed by this deadline, a 6% tax is assessed on the excess amount for each year that the excess remains in the IRA. This extra tax could result in a substantial amount, and failure to remove the excess amount in a timely manner could result in double taxation of the assets.

ExampleJane has two IRAs at different financial institutions, and in 2010 (for which the limit was $5,000) she contributed $7,000 to each IRA, resulting in an excess contribution of $9,000 ($14,000 - $5,000). Jane was under age 50 and therefore was not allowed to make catch-up contributions, so the maximum amount she was allowed to contribute for the year was $5,000. Jane did not remove the excess amount by her tax-filing deadline for 2010, so she was required to pay the 6% tax on the excess amount for each year that it remained in her IRA. Also, for the year that she finally distributed the excess amount from her IRA, she had to add the amount to her taxable income. Since she was under age 59.5, she owed also the 10% early-distribution penalty on the amount, unless she qualified for an exception (to the penalty).Note: If the excess contribution had been $5,000 (the contribution limit for the year) or less, Jane wouldn\'t have been required to add the amount to her taxable income, and the 10% early-distribution penalty wouldn\'t have applied. She would\'ve owed only the 6% tax for each year the excess remained in the IRA.

Excess-Accumulation Tax If you are a Traditional IRA owner, (or SEP or SIMPLE IRA owner), you must begin taking required minimum distributions (RMD) from your IRAs the year you reach age 70.5, and you must distribute a minimum amount from the IRA each subsequent year. Failure to distribute the RMD amount will result in a 50% penalty on the amount not distributed. For example, if your RMD for this last year was $5,000 and you distributed only $4,000 from your IRA, you will owe the IRS $500 (50% of $1,000).

Filing IRS Form 5329 There may be instances in which your IRA custodian/trustee may report your IRA distribution that is exempt from the 10% early-distribution penalty as a distribution that is not exempt. For instance, if your distribution is used toward the purchase of your first home, you are not required to report the distribution as one that is exempt from the penalty, even though it is exempt. If your IRA custodian did not indicate that the distribution is exempt from the early-distribution penalty, you may file IRS Form 5329 to claim the exception. Failure to file this form could result in you paying the 10% early-distribution penalty even though an exception applies.

IRS Form 5329 is also used to file the error that occurs when an IRA custodian reports a non-exempt distribution as one that is exempt from the early-distribution penalty. The IRA holder would file the form to notify the IRS that the exception does not apply and pay the penalty.

Filing Form 8606 and Consequences of Overstating Amounts on Form 8606 You must file IRS Form 8606 for each year that you make a nondeductible contribution to your Traditional IRA and for each subsequent year that you make a distribution from any one of your Traditional IRAs. Form 8606 serves to notify the IRS of the nondeductible contribution and helps you determine the portion of a distribution that is nontaxable. If you fail to file form 8606, you could end up paying taxes on an otherwise nontaxable amount. Make sure you keep track of the nontaxable assets and file the form to determine the nontaxable portion. In addition, there is a $50 IRS penalty for failure to file Form 8606.

Finally, you must take care not to overstate amounts on Form 8606, as there could be a $100 penalty for each overstatement. The IRS may waive the penalty in circumstances wherein the overstatement was due to a reasonable cause.ConclusionYou don't want to suffer avoidable penalties and taxation on any IRA transactions, so be sure to consult your tax professional regarding transactions that could result in penalties. The more you know about the restrictions on contributions and distributions, the better you will be at bypassing unnecessary charges.

Related Articles
  1. Investing Basics

    Understanding How Dividends Are Taxed

    Learn how dividends are taxed by the IRS, and understand the different types of dividend income as well as the capital gains tax rates.
  2. Investing Basics

    6 Reasons Why Dividends Should Be Reinvested

    Learn about the advantages of dividend reinvestment programs and how they may benefit longer-term investors who want to build a position in a company.
  3. Investing News

    How Does US Social Security Measure Up Abroad?

    Social Security is a hotly debated topic. After examining the retirement plans of three different countries, the U.S.'s does not come out the winner.
  4. Professionals

    Your 401(k): How to Handle Market Volatility

    An in-depth look at how manage to 401(k) assets during times of market volatility.
  5. Professionals

    How to Build a Financial Plan for Gen X, Y Clients

    Retirement is creeping closer for clients in their 30s and 40s. It's a great segment for financial advisors to tap to build long-term client relationships.
  6. Professionals

    Don't Let Your Portfolio Be Trump'd by Illiquidity

    A look at Donald Trump's statement of finances and the biggest lesson every investor can learn.
  7. Professionals

    What to do During a Market Correction

    The market has corrected...now what? Here's what you should consider rather than panicking.
  8. Retirement

    Maxing Out Your 401(k) Is Profitable: Here's Why

    It's shocking, but most American workers (73%) have no 401(k) retirement funds. Start saving now to anchor your retirement.
  9. Professionals

    Top Questions to Ask When Choosing a Robo-Advisor

    Think a robo-advisor might be the right choice for you? Be sure to ask these questions first.
  10. Professionals

    Top Retirement Hack? Start with a Lifestyle Change

    Instead of going through the usual retirement planning steps, some people are focusing on fostering a lower cost lifestyle from the start.
  1. Qualified Longevity Annuity Contract

    A Qualified Longevity Annuity Contract (QLAC) is a deferred annuity ...
  2. See-Through Trust

    A trust that is treated as the beneficiary of an individual retirement ...
  3. Backdoor Roth IRA

    A method that taxpayers can use to place retirement savings in ...
  4. Current Service Benefit

    The amount of pension benefit accrued by an employee who had ...
  5. Self Invested Personal Pension ...

    A tax-efficient retirement savings account available in Great ...
  6. Elder Care

    Elder care, sometimes called elderly care, refers to services ...
  1. Can I use my IRA to pay for my college loans?

    If you are older than 59.5 and have been contributing to your IRA for more than five years, you may withdraw funds to pay ... Read Full Answer >>
  2. Can I use my IRA savings to start my own savings?

    While there is no legal reason why you cannot withdraw funds from your IRA to start a traditional savings account, it is ... Read Full Answer >>
  3. Can creditors garnish my IRA?

    Depending on the state where you live, your IRA may be garnished by a number of creditors. Unlike 401(k) plans or other qualified ... Read Full Answer >>
  4. How does an IRA grow over time?

    Individual retirement account, or IRA, growth depends on many factors, including what types of investments are included in ... Read Full Answer >>
  5. Can you buy penny stocks in an IRA?

    It is possible to trade penny stocks through an individual retirement accounts, or IRA. However, penny stocks are generally ... Read Full Answer >>
  6. Can my IRA be used for college tuition?

    You can use your IRA to pay for college tuition even before you reach retirement age. In fact, your retirement savings can ... Read Full Answer >>

You May Also Like

Trading Center

You are using adblocking software

Want access to all of Investopedia? Add us to your “whitelist”
so you'll never miss a feature!