Many of us like to think of April as tax refund time, but for some, filing a tax return will bring an unpleasant surprise: you owe money you weren\'t expecting, and you don\'t have the money to pay the bill. So, what do you do?

Before panic sets in, double-check your math. If you haven\'t been using tax software or an accountant, consider using one or the other to double check your return. Make sure that you actually do owe money, and that you\'ve taken advantage of any deductions and credits you\'re entitled to. If everything checks out and you still owe money, the next step is to resolve to deal with the problem. In this article we\'ll explore nine ways to pay this unexpected tax debt. (If you haven\'t started your taxes yet, read 10 Steps To Tax Preparation.)

Believe it or not, facing the problem is the least expensive and most painless route you can take. Ignoring a debt to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will always cause problems. Not only will interest and penalties start accruing on every dollar you owe from the moment your taxes aren\'t paid in full, but if you ignore the situation, the IRS will assume you are trying to evade your taxes. You don\'t want to convince the IRS that they should take enforced collection action such as levying your bank accounts, garnishing your wages, or seizing other assets like your car.

To start addressing your tax debt, go ahead and file your return even if you can\'t pay all of what you owe. According to the IRS, a delay in filing may result in penalty and interest charges that could increase your tax bill by 25% or more. Remember that while you can request a filing extension using Form 4868 Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Tax Return, the extension only increases the amount of time you have to file the paperwork - it does not increase the amount of time you have to pay your bill. On the other hand, Form 1127 will allow you to request a six month payment extension, but you have to demonstrate that paying the tax immediately would cause "undue hardship", not mere inconvenience. Completing this paperwork involves preparing a statement of all your current assets and liabilities for the IRS along with an itemized list of all money you received and spent in the three months prior to requesting the extension. The IRS reserves payment extensions for extremely trying circumstances. (For an in-depth walk through, check out Get A Six-Month Tax Extension.)

Alternative Payment Methods
The following is a list of nine payment options you can turn to if you find yourself saddled with an unexpected tax bill. Follow along to determine which option, or combination of options, will help you best resolve your situation.

  1. Pay With Your Credit Card
    If you have enough available credit, paying your tax bill with one or more of your credit cards is an option. It may not be the best option, however, given how high credit card interest rates are. Also, when you pay your taxes with your credit card, you\'ll incur a convenience fee ranging from 2.25-3.93% of the amount you owe depending on which third-party company you use to submit your credit card payment to the IRS. If you decide to go this route, choose the third-party company with the lowest fee and the credit card with the lowest APR. Check the terms and conditions of your card agreement for details. Better yet, try to acquire a new card with a low introductory APR and get your bill paid off by the time the APR resets. Don\'t get a cash advance - it doesn\'t make any sense to get a cash advance on your credit card to pay your tax bill now that the IRS actually allows you to pay taxes with your credit card because you\'ll end up paying unnecessary fees. (To get started, check out How To Read Loan And Credit Card Agreements.)
  2. Obtain a Bank Loan
    Banks and credit unions offer loans to help consolidate debt such as personal loans and unsecured lines of credit not attached to a credit card or secured by your home, but this option will not necessarily be much better than putting the money on your credit card. A debt consolidation loan might charge between 6-21% APR depending on your creditworthiness and fluctuations in interest rates over time. For instance, the interest rates available in 2007 aren\'t the same as interest rates in 2010. These rates are comparable to credit card interest rates. If you currently have good credit and this tax debacle is a one-time thing, your credit score may be better off if you take out a personal loan instead of racking up a credit card balance that you can\'t make the high-interest payments for. The other problems with a bank loan are that you\'ll have to go through an application process, and you might not get approved.
  3. Pay What You Can Afford Now and Wait for a Bill
    Scrape together as much as you can and send that amount to the IRS along with your return. In a few weeks, the IRS will send you a bill titled "Notice of Tax Due and Demand for Payment". This bill will show both the amount of tax you did not originally pay and the penalties and interest the IRS has assessed on that amount. Overall, you may be better off financially by putting the bill on your credit card. IRS interest and penalties may be higher than your credit card\'s finance charges.

  4. Liquidate Your Savings Accounts
    Unexpectedly owing money to the IRS could very well count as an emergency, so don\'t be shy about using your emergency fund to pay off the expense. Sure, you could hang on to your emergency money in case of events that seem more urgent, like unexpected medical expenses, but those things are only possibilities; meanwhile, if you don\'t pay the IRS, you\'ll certainly owe penalties and interest. Also, if you have the money to pay your bill but you don\'t fork it over, the IRS might see this as intentional nonpayment of taxes, which can get you into serious trouble.
  5. Sell Some Investments
    The problem with selling investments in an emergency situation is that you may have to take a loss. To put a positive spin on this negative, any loss up to $3,000 you might incur (called a "realized capital loss") by selling investments at an inopportune time can be used to offset any gains from selling appreciated investments in the same year. This will minimize next year\'s tax bill. Losses over the $3,000 limit can be carried over to the following tax year under the capital loss carryover rule. (To learn more, check out Selling Losing Securities For A Tax Advantage.)
  6. Borrow From Your Retirement Account
    While it\'s a good idea to think of your retirement account as an account that you aren\'t allowed to withdraw a penny from until you stop working for good, there actually are provisions allowing you to take the money out sooner. Most people will have to pay a penalty on the withdrawal and repay the account within a certain time frame, but this depends on factors like your age and the type of retirement account you\'re borrowing from. (To learn more about this last-resort option, check out Borrowing From Your Plan and Eight Reasons To Never Borrow From Your 401(k).)

  7. Borrow From a Relative or Friend
    Borrowing money from friends and relatives is always tricky and can put your relationship in jeopardy. It\'s often better to pay a little extra money in interest than to risk damaging an important relationship. However, if you\'ve had successful financial transactions with a friend or family member in the past and don\'t feel the relationship is at risk, borrowing from that person is probably the simplest and cheapest option.
  8. Set Up an Installment Agreement
    If you know you won\'t be able to pay in full, you can call the IRS and ask about setting up an installment agreement using IRS Form 9465. You\'ll still face interest and penalties while you\'re paying off your debt, and you\'ll need to make your payments in full and on time every month. There is a fee for setting up the agreement, and another fee to reinstate the plan if you fail to meet your obligations at any point during the repayment period. If you owe more than $25,000 in taxes, penalties and interest combined, you may also need to file Form 433F, the Collection Information Statement.

    One reason you may not want to take the installment payment route is that the government can still file a Notice of Federal Tax Lien on your property until your debt is paid off, which can make moving or using your equity a near impossibility. However, the government cannot take collection action against you while your agreement is in place.

  9. Take Out a Home Equity Line of Credit
    If you own a home, borrowing against the equity you\'ve built up can be an attractive option. Interest rates for a home equity line of credit (HELOC) tend to be low and, unlike credit card interest, HELOC interest may be tax deductible. The problem is that if you fail to make payments on your HELOC, you could risk losing your home. The extra interest you\'d pay to a credit card company may be worth it to avoid putting your home at risk. (For a rundown on how these loans work and how to get one, check out The Home Equity Loan: What It Is And How It Works and Home-Equity Loans: The Costs.)

Finally, try not to feel ashamed or alone. Not having enough money to pay your tax bill is not a unique problem; the IRS has multiple pages on its website dedicated to helping those who can\'t pay, which suggests that the problem is relatively widespread. There\'s no question that paying your bill is going to sting, but much like ripping off a bandage, your best bet is to face the pain and get it over with as quickly as possible.

Related Articles
  1. Credit & Loans

    Guidelines for FHA Reverse Mortgages

    FHA guidelines protect borrowers from major mistakes, prevent lenders from taking advantage of borrowers and encourage lenders to offer reverse mortgages.
  2. Taxes

    What IRS Form 1023 Is Used For

    To be treated as a tax-exempt organization, start by filling out this form.
  3. Taxes

    Late with Your Taxes? Grab IRS Form 4868

    Fill out this form to get a few more months to file your tax return. But remember, April 15 is still the payment due date if you owe taxes.
  4. Economics

    The Problem With Today’s Headline Economic Data

    Headwinds have kept the U.S. growth more moderate than in the past–including leverage levels and an aging population—and the latest GDP revisions prove it.
  5. Savings

    How Volatile Exchange Rates Affect Your Vacation

    Those ever-changing fluctuations can make a difference in anything from your hotel room to an ATM transaction.
  6. Credit & Loans

    Can Corporate Credit Cards Affect Your Credit?

    Corporate cards have a hidden downside. If the company fails to pay its bills, you could be liable for the amount and end up with a damaged credit rating.
  7. Investing News

    What Is The New Credit Card Chip Good For?

    Under current U.S. credit card requirements, credit card issuers are required to issue chip cards as of October 1, 2015. Instead of swiping your card as you do now, you will slide the card into ...
  8. Credit & Loans

    5 Ways to Maximize Your Credit Card Points

    How to get the most bang for your rewards buck.
  9. Investing

    How to Effectively Compare Credit Card Rewards

    There are so many different reward credit cards that are available. Understanding how each type work will help you pick the best card for your needs.
  10. Credit & Loans

    Joint Credit Cards: The Pros and Cons

    A joint credit card may sound like an easy way to split the bills, but make sure you know what you’re getting into first.
  1. Debt/Equity Ratio

    1. A debt ratio used to measure a company's financial leverage. ...
  2. Transferable Points Programs

    With transferable points programs, customers earn points by using ...
  3. Duty Free

    Goods that international travelers can purchase without paying ...
  4. Wealth Management

    A high-level professional service that combines financial/investment ...
  5. Luhn Algorithm

    An algorithm used to validate a credit card number.
  6. Personal Property Securities Register ...

    A written, public, online record of legal claims to personal ...
  1. Are spousal Social Security benefits taxable?

    Your spousal Social Security benefits may be taxable, depending on your total household income for the year. About one-third ... Read Full Answer >>
  2. How do you calculate penalties on an IRA or Roth IRA early withdrawal?

    With a few exceptions, early withdrawals from traditional or Roth IRAs generally incur a tax penalty equal to 10% of the ... Read Full Answer >>
  3. Are credit card rewards taxable?

    Credit card rewards are taxable in the United States some of the time. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) classifies credit ... Read Full Answer >>
  4. Are Social Security benefits taxable after age 62?

    Eligibility to collect Social Security benefits begins at age 62. Many seniors, to collect larger benefit amounts, wait until ... Read Full Answer >>
  5. What are the best free online calculators for calculating my taxable income?

    Free online calculators for determining your taxable income are located at, and Determining ... Read Full Answer >>
  6. In what instances does overhead qualify for certain tax allowances?

    Businesses are just as keen as anyone else to keep their tax burdens low by any means possible. Overhead expenses often qualify ... Read Full Answer >>

You May Also Like

Trading Center

You are using adblocking software

Want access to all of Investopedia? Add us to your “whitelist”
so you'll never miss a feature!