Loading the player...

Tax withholding is often seen as a mysterious science where it is better to err on the side of caution and not "to tamper with laws of nature that man was never meant to know!" Sensationalism aside, paying attention to and adjusting your tax withholding via the form W-4 is an important way to ensure you are not under or over withholding for taxes. (Understanding the origins of our tax withholding system is crucial to getting the most out of it. Refer to Understanding The U.S. Tax Withholding System.)

TUTORIAL: Personal Income Tax Guide

Another Tax Form?!
The chances are that you know the W-4 even if you don't remember it. It is the basic form you file every time you start a new job. Because the United States tax system is pay-as-you-go, there are really only two choices: withholding or estimated tax. Estimated tax payments are used by business owners and some regular people with large amounts of dividends, royalties or other significant income streams beyond their 9-to-5 job. We'll look at the plain vanilla withholding in this article.

Events That Trigger Changes
Your withholding is made up of three basic pieces of information:

  • Whether you are using a married or single rate
  • What allowances you qualify for
  • Whether or not you want to withhold extra

Changes in your household situation - one spouse loses a job, a child is born and so on - can have an immediate impact on your tax situation. In these situations, it is well worth changing withholding to avoid owing a big tax bill or essentially loaning the government extra money at zero interest. The first life event is probably the most obvious.

Will You Marry Me?
Don't say yes just because you love filing updated W-4s, but do keep in mind that marriage will affect your taxes in one of two ways. One, if your spouse has an income coming in, your overall household withholding may go up. Two, if your spouse doesn't work your overall withholding will likely go down. Of course, marriage isn't always a permanent arrangement. (Not sure whether you should file jointly or separately? Check out Happily Married? File Taxes Separately to learn about situations where the separate filing makes sense.)

You Ruined My Life and My W-4!
A divorce can change your tax situation in a couple of key ways. It will, of course, alter your household income, but there is also the matter of alimony. If you are paying alimony, you can adjust your withholding to reflect that by filing a new form. If you are receiving alimony, you have to pay the tax on it and will have to file a new form as well. (To learn more about taxes following a divorce, check out The Fundamentals Of Spousal Support Taxation.)

Junior Means a Tax Break
Having a baby, while perhaps not all fun and games, does mean new allowances that should reduce your withholding. Adopting or giving birth to a child immediately adds a dependent to your household and lessens the overall tax burden to compensate for the expenses that come with raising children. Of course, this also means that when your children grow up and move out, you have to adjust your withholding back up.

The New Digs or New Deductions
When you purchase a home, you will need to update your withholding for the expected tax break. Of course, you can leave this until the end of the year, but opportunity cost shows us that money now is worth more than money further down the road. The same is true with any large deductions or credits you will become eligible for within a given year, whether education credits, dependent care expenses, charitable giving or any of the others.

Big Increases in Non-Wage Income
Any non-wage income, whether from a side-business, dividend stocks, interest income, etc, will come as a surprise to the IRS - and an unpleasant surprise for you - if you don't adjust your withholding to reflect the extra cash. Remember that the W-4 is aimed at reflecting the average American household. If you are seeing significant amounts of income from sources other than your 9-5, you will need to withhold more or begin paying estimated tax to avoid a big bill at tax time.

Working Two Jobs
According to the IRS, most withholding disparities are created by changes in employment. If you are working two jobs, you can split your allowance between them, but you cannot claim double the allowances (that is, claim the same allowances twice). Similarly, losing that second job means that you can reduce the withholding on your remaining job or claim allowances that you were previously holding off on.

Getting Your Withholding Right
The IRS provides a very good withholding calculator that can help you account for these credits, but they will not do it for you. Simply put, they don't mind paying out refunds at all, and it is not worth adding the salaries needed to make sure everyone's salary is being withheld at the proper level.

The IRS also provides worksheets for converting credits to withholding allowances and tips about common errors. For example, you cannot claim the same allowances as your spouse, but you can split them up as needed. The chances are very good that you will learn something new by reading through the relevant publications.

The Bottom Line
It may seem like there are many circumstances that will require you to adjust your withholding. In reality, most people will go years without having to significantly alter their withholding. However, if any of these changes do occur, it is well worth the time to file the W-4. Best-case scenario, you are giving too much to the government and they will return it to you without interest. Worst case, you'll owe a big chunk of change and, oddly enough, they'll be charging you interest on that until you pay it off. (It's important to understand where that money coming out of your paycheck goes and why - after all, you earned it. See Tax Withholding: Good For Government, Bad For Taxpayers.)

Related Articles
  1. Taxes

    When You Should Change Your Withholding Tax

    Paying attention to your W-4 form, and making adjustments when necessary, is an important way to make sure your tax withholdings are correct.
  2. Retirement

    Tax Tips For The Individual Investor

    We give you seven guidelines to help you keep more of your money in your pocket.
  3. Taxes

    Happily Married? File Taxes Separately!

    Just because you are in love doesn't mean that a joint return is best for both of you.
  4. Taxes

    A "Kiddie Tax" Overview For Parents

    Understanding how children are taxed is very important when it comes to saving for their college education.
  5. Taxes

    The Fundamentals Of Spousal Support Taxation

    The spousal support that is paid out after a divorce can have varying tax implications. We'll look at what you need to know to settle on the best tax solution.
  6. Taxes

    10 Most Overlooked Tax Deductions

    The receipts you cram into your wallet could be replaced with cash come tax season.
  7. Taxes

    Taxes: H&R Block Vs. TurboTax Vs. Jackson Hewitt

    There are more and more tax services to help ease the pain of filing income taxes. Here's our take on three of the biggest.
  8. Taxes

    Confused About Estimated Tax Deadlines for 2016?

    If you run a business or have investment income, pay attention to this year's estimated tax deadlines. Here are the details, and what's new for 2016.
  9. Retirement

    Retirement Plan Tax Prep Checklist

    Here's a list of items you need to have in order by tax time, including paying attention to those pesky required minimum distributions.
  10. Tax Strategy

    A Beginner’s Guide To Tax-Efficient Investing

    Tax-efficiency is a measure of how much of an investment’s return remains after taxes are paid.
  1. How can I calculate my withholding tax rate?

    Your withholding tax rate is estimated by your employer, who relies on the information on your Form W-4. How you fill out ... Read Full Answer >>
  2. When should my tax refund arrive?

    More than 90% of income-tax refunds arrive in less than three weeks, according to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). However, ... Read Full Answer >>
  3. How do I file taxes for income from foreign sources?

    If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, your income (except for amounts exempt under federal law), including that which ... Read Full Answer >>
  4. Are Flexible Spending Account (FSA) items tax deductible?

    Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) are employer-sponsored, tax-favored savings plans expressly for the future reimbursement ... Read Full Answer >>
  5. How Long Should I Keep My Tax Records?

    The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has some hard and fast rules regarding how long taxpayers should keep their tax records. As ... Read Full Answer >>
  6. Do tax brackets include Social Security?

    A portion of your Social Security benefits may be subject to federal taxation using tax brackets. Your tax bracket is determined ... Read Full Answer >>
Trading Center