Reinsurance occurs when multiple insurance companies share risk by purchasing insurance policies from other insurers to limit the total loss the original insurer would experience in case of disaster. By spreading risk, an individual insurance company can take on clients whose coverage would be too great of a burden for the single insurance company to handle alone. When reinsurance occurs, the premium paid by the insured is typically shared by all of the insurance companies involved.
Reinsurance can help a company by providing:
- Risk Transfer - Companies can share or transfer of specific risks with other companies
- Arbitrage - Additional profits can be garnered by purchasing insurance elsewhere for less than the premium the company collects from policyholders.
- Capital Management - Companies can avoid having to absorb large losses by passing risk; this frees up additional capital.
- Solvency Margins - The purchase of surplus relief insurance allows companies to accept new clients and avoid the need to raise additional capital.
- Expertise - The expertise of another insurer can help a company obtain a proper rating and premium.
(For more on this topic, read When Things Go Awry, Insurers Get Reinsured.)
This question was answered by Steven Merkel.
Learn about what makes an insurance company the best. Read about the best life insurance companies in the U.S. in 2014, following ...
Learn about situations where insurance bundling may not be a favorable option. Bundling insurance is often a good idea, but ...
Learn about commonly excluded perils with different standard insurance policies. Explore events that homeowners should consider ...
Learn the instances in which you are required to pay taxes on a life insurance policy loan, so you can avoid making a costly ...
The ratio of an insurance company’s net investment income to ...
The amount of money that an individual or business must pay for ...
An insurance agent that sells insurance policies provided by ...
Liabilities for claims that have long settlement periods.
A type of insurance policy that provides coverage to a business ...
An insurance policy that provides coverage when a claim is made ...