Financial Statements - Setting and Enforcing Global Accounting Standards
What is the International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO)
Although the IFRS and GAAP frameworks are different, they usually agree in the overall structure and principle and are working toward convergence. The two differ in the following ways:
• IFRS requires users to consider the general principles in the absence of specific standards.
• US GAAP distinguishes between objectives for business and non-business entities.
• The IASB framework gives more emphasis to the importance of the accrual and going concern assumptions than FASB
• GAAP framework establish a hierarchy of qualitative financial statement characteristics;
• Some differences in how each defines, recognizes, and measures individual elements of financial statements
• Companies reporting under standards other than GAAP that trade in USA must reconcile their statements with GAAP.
The International Accounting Standard Board (IASB)
The IASB structure's main features are:
- the IASC Foundation - which is an independent organization whose two main bodies are the Trustees and the IASB
- a Standards Advisory Council
- the International Financial Reporting Interpretations Committee
The IASC Foundation Trustees appoint the IASB members, exercise oversight and raise the funds needed, but the IASB has sole responsibility for setting accounting standards. This organization was created to set international accounting standards in an effort to bridge the gap between the accounting standards of different nations.
- Dividends paid by a company to its shareholders are classified on the cash flow statement under cash flow from financing.
- The dividends received by a company from its investments are classified as cash flow from operations.
- All interests received and paid by or to a company are classified as cash flow from operations.
Under IAS GAAP:
- Dividends paid by a company to its shareholders, dividends received by a company from its investments and all interests received and paid by or to a company can be classified as either cash flow from financing or cash flow from operations.
These rules are summarized in the following chart:
|U.S. GAAP||IAS GAAP|
|Dividends paid by a company to shareholders||Cash Flow from Financing||Cash Flow from Financing or Operations|
|Dividends received by a company from investments||Cash Flow from Operations||Cash Flow from Financing or Operations|
|All interest received and paid by or to a company||Cash Flow from Operations||Cash Flow from Financing or Operations|
It is highly likely you will need to calculate a figure on a cash flow statement according to one of the two rules.
Career Education & ResourcesLearn about the difficulty of the CFA exams with a description of the tests, some statistics on pass rates and suggestions that can help you pass the exams.
ProfessionalsA financial analyst researches companies and economic conditions to make business, sector and industry recommendations.
Career Education & ResourcesRead about what it takes to become a financial analyst in a corporation or securities firm, and learn how far you can rise in the profession.
Career Education & ResourcesLearn what education and certifications you need to become a financial planner, as well as the future prospects and earnings potential for financial planners.
Career Education & ResourcesThe non-profit sector offers a stable selection of jobs for those who seek other types of fulfillment from their jobs than just purely financial.
Career Education & ResourcesLearn about the basic requirements for getting hired as a portfolio manager, and discover how most professionals in the field rise into the position.
Your PracticeThese four professional organizations are among the most respected and well known in the industry.
ProfessionalsFind out what equity research analysts do on a day-to-day basis, and learn more about the typical career progression for these securities professionals.
ProfessionalsThe Chartered Financial Analyst Level II exam is the second of three tests that CFA candidates must pass.
ProfessionalsLearn more about the career options available to financial data analysts, and determine whether the profession is a good match for you.
Professionals who help individuals manage their finances by providing ...
Formerly known as the Association for Investment Management and ...
A financial professional who studies various industries and companies, ...
A professional designation given by the CFA Institute (formerly ...
The differences between a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) and a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) are many, but comes down ... Read Full Answer >>
According to the CFA Institute, a person who holds a CFA charter is not a chartered financial analyst. The CFA Institute ... Read Full Answer >>
The types of positions that a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) is likely to hold include any position that deals with large ... Read Full Answer >>
Prepaid expenses benefit both businesses and individuals. Prepaid expenses are the types of expenses that are bought or paid ... Read Full Answer >>
If you are looking specifically for an investment banking position, an MBA may be marginally preferable over the CFA. The ... Read Full Answer >>
You may still pass the Chartered Financial Analysis (CFA) Level I even if you fare poorly in the ethics section, but don't ... Read Full Answer >>