The following section focuses on how the markets themselves function. Understanding how the markets function is key in determining how securities themselves function.
It is unlikely that your CFA Level 1 exam will test you directly on the topics presented, as the material itself is quite simplistic. However, you will be asked several comprehensive questions on this material.
The characteristics of a well-functioning securities market are:
- Efficient - Internal - Markets must be efficient internally.
- Efficient - External - Markets react quickly to new news; existing prices reflect all available information.
- Liquidity - Markets are liquid and as such, assets can be bought or sold easily. There are numerous buyers and sellers giving depth to the market.
- Continuity - In the context of liquidity, prices do not change substantially from one transaction to another unless significant new news arises.
- Marketability - In the context of liquidity, marketability is the ability to sell an asset quickly.
- Timely and accurate information - New information is brought to the market in a timely and accurate way.
Personal FinanceThe Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) is an independent agency of the United States government. The mission of the SEC is to enforce securities laws passed by congress. These laws aim ...
InvestingMake sure that your trades are safe by learning how to measure the liquidity risk.
InsightsLiquidity risk is the risk of being unable to sell an asset fast enough to avoid loss.
InvestingMarket efficiency theory states that a stock’s price will fully reflect all available and relevant information at any given time.
InvestingReduced bond liquidity caused investor concern earlier in the year, but some signs point to a resurgence going forward.
InvestingUnderstanding how this measure works in the market can help keep your finances afloat.
InvestingLearn about the two types of liquidity risk: funding liquidity risk and market liquidity risk.
InvestingDeciding whether it's possible to attain above-average returns requires an understanding of EMH.
Financial AdvisorThe integrity of the capital markets needs to be kept at utmost importance for all investors. This article shows how to maintain the integrity while investing.