Preferences and Adjustments
Positive and negative AMT adjustments are added or subtracted from regular taxable income to determine the "taxable income after AMT adjustments." Tax preference items are then added to get your AMTI. The following is a list of AMT adjustments:
Adjustments for AMT (deductions not allowed):
- Standard deduction and personal exemptions
- Certain itemized deductions
- Mortgage interest
- Medical expenses
- Miscellaneous deductions
- Investment interest
- MACRS depreciation
- Basis adjustment affects AMT gain or loss
- Incentive stock options (ISO)
- Mining exploration and development costs
- Circulation costs
- Long-term contracts
- Research and experimental procedures
- Passive tax-shelter farm losses
- Passive losses from non-farming activities
Certain tax preference items must be added back into taxable income after AMT adjustments to determine the AMTI. These primary items include the following:
AMT Preference Items (Must Know These):
- Tax-exempt interest on private-activity municipal bonds
- Percentage Depletion / Excess intangible drilling costs (IDC)
- Depreciation (ACRS/MACRS)
- Exercise of an Incentive Stock Option (Bargain Element)
Exclusion Items Vs. Deferral Items
TaxesShould you worry about the AMT? Even if you're subject to it, there are exemptions and strategies for reducing your tax bill.
TaxesGetting rid of the AMT would be great for upper-middle class taxpayers.
TaxesLearn how refundable AMT credits can help you save on taxes, AMT bills and more.
TaxesFrom grouping related expenses to factoring in the alternative minimum tax, here are some things you need to keep in mind when doing tax planning.
TaxesThe uncertainty surrounding President-Elect Trump may have a significant impact on tax planning.
TaxesOptions and restricted stock are a great perk--if you don't get caught in a tax trap. Here's what you need to know.
TaxesHere's a look at tax strategies for itemized deductions, charitable gifts and other tax credits.
TechInvestment expenses can be deducted by those who meet three main criteria. Here's what they are and how they work.
TaxesThe amount of money you save by paying your mortgage off quickly will far exceed any benefit from the mortgage interest tax deduction.
InvestingOffering both income and relative security, these uncommon shares may work for you.