Alternative Minimum Tax - Preferences and Adjustments
Preferences and Adjustments
Positive and negative AMT adjustments are added or subtracted from regular taxable income to determine the "taxable income after AMT adjustments." Tax preference items are then added to get your AMTI. The following is a list of AMT adjustments:
Adjustments for AMT (deductions not allowed):
- Standard deduction and personal exemptions
- Certain itemized deductions
- Mortgage interest
- Medical expenses
- Miscellaneous deductions
- Investment interest
- MACRS depreciation
- Basis adjustment affects AMT gain or loss
- Incentive stock options (ISO)
- Mining exploration and development costs
- Circulation costs
- Long-term contracts
- Research and experimental procedures
- Passive tax-shelter farm losses
- Passive losses from non-farming activities
Certain tax preference items must be added back into taxable income after AMT adjustments to determine the AMTI. These primary items include the following:
AMT Preference Items (Must Know These):Exclusion Items Vs. Deferral Items
- Tax-exempt interest on private-activity municipal bonds
- Percentage Depletion / Excess intangible drilling costs (IDC)
- Depreciation (ACRS/MACRS)
- Exercise of an Incentive Stock Option (Bargain Element)
The amount of risk that an insurance company retains after subtracting ...
Coverage that provides financial protection to investors, financial ...
The maximum loss from a peak to a trough of a portfolio, before ...
The absolute level of a fund's investments.
A technique used by insurance companies to calculate loss reserves.
The financial benefit that a risk-taking activity will bring ...
Learn how the rise in popularity of passive ETFs and mutual funds tracking indexes has increased the correlation among stocks, ...
Learn about common delta hedging strategies, including how to make a position in options delta neutral by offsetting risk ...
Learn about the risks of having a portfolio that is overweight in a particular sector and how investors should regularly ...
Learn about the primary risks of investing in the retail sector, such as bad economic conditions, regulation, competition ...