Basis - Sample Questions 1 - 5
1. Laura received a jewelry collection from her grandparents as a gift. Laura's grandparents purchased the jewelry for $20,000 about 10 years ago. The FMV at the date of the gift was $15,000. If Laura sells the jewelry collection for $18,000, which of the following is TRUE?
A) Laura will have a realized gain of $3,000.
B) Laura will have a realized loss of $2,000.
C) Laura will have no gain or loss.
D) Laura has an offsetting transaction that results in a net $1,000 gain.
2. Chris received 100 shares of XYZ stock from his brother Matt. Matt's adjusted basis in the stock is $20,000, and the FMV at the date of the gift was $80,000. Matt paid $10,000 in gift tax. What is the new basis to Chris?
3. Jeff gifts property to his dying brother Kevin so he can enjoy his last few months. The property has a basis of $5,000 and a FMV of $8,000 at the time of the gift. Kevin dies in six months and passes the property back to Jeff through his will. The FMV at the date of death was $7,000. What is Jeff's cost basis in the property?
4. Pete and Pat, as joint tenants in a community property state, own an investment account with a $120,000 basis. At Pete's death, the account had a FMV of $180,000. What is Pat's basis now that Pete has died?
5. Scott purchased a house and land and made several capital improvements to increase the market value of his investment. Which of the following will increase his original basis in the home and land?
I. Extending utility service lines
II. Legal Fees incurred for defending the title
III. Assessment for a sidewalk improvement
IV. New electrical wiring throughout the house
A) I only
B) I and II only
C) I, II and III
D) I, II, III and IV
Your ClientsEstate planning is not just for inheritance. High net-worth individuals, who plan properly, can gift their money and save on taxes.
BudgetingTalking Christmas gift budgets with family members can be hard, but having the talk will help you stay on track financially.
Personal FinanceFinding a gift for a new boyfriend or girlfriend, your boss, or the postman can sometimes be a challenge.
SavingsCould you buy a gift card online and find out it's worthless? Here's how to protect yourself (and whether you need to).
BudgetingFall is finally here, and everywhere I look I see pumpkin carvings, seasonal door hangings, and all kinds of pumpkin-flavored cookies, breads, and pies.
SavingsAs a grandparent, you probably take pleasure in showering your grandkids with extravagances, but saving for their college education is a long-lasting gift.
Investing BasicsIn any transaction between a buyer and seller, the initial price paid in an exchange for a product or service will qualify as the cost basis. When it comes to securities and related financial ...
SavingsStart planning and saving for the holiday season, to avoid starting the New Year with a mountain of holiday debt.
Personal FinanceClichés are clichés for a reason. Sometimes the most clichéd gift can actually be an ideal one.
Investing BasicsA stock’s cost basis is its purchase price plus all reinvested dividends and commissions.
An indirect bequest of assets to a beneficiary by means of a ...
A federal tax applied to an individual giving anything of value ...
A federal tax form that must be filled out by any individual ...
A taxation rule that allows a married couple to split a gift's ...
The sale of a home made to a family member or someone with whom ...
The amount of money that may be transferred by gift from one ...
80 + .7 = $56 margin price 80 - 56 = $24 in debt New Low (NL) is [NL - $24 = .3NL] or, 7NL = $24 = $34 ¼ = Lowest price to ... Read Answer >>
My mother in law wants to know the best way to leave the deed to her house to her son (my husband). Should it be left in ... Read Answer >>
I. It is mitigated by writing calls.II. It includes the risk the investor will lose invested principal.III. It is the same ... Read Answer >>
The correct answer is c. A donor of money and/or gifts may give up to $12,000 to as many different recipients as they desire ... Read Answer >>
Stocks, bonds or any other securities can be transferred as gifts. Giving the gift of stock also has benefits for the giver. ... Read Answer >>
Back in 2000, my mom had a quit claim deed done on the house with my husband and I being the names add... Read Answer >>