1. Laura received a jewelry collection from her grandparents as a gift. Laura's grandparents purchased the jewelry for $20,000 about 10 years ago. The FMV at the date of the gift was $15,000. If Laura sells the jewelry collection for $18,000, which of the following is TRUE?
A) Laura will have a realized gain of $3,000.
B) Laura will have a realized loss of $2,000.
C) Laura will have no gain or loss.
D) Laura has an offsetting transaction that results in a net $1,000 gain.
2. Chris received 100 shares of XYZ stock from his brother Matt. Matt's adjusted basis in the stock is $20,000, and the FMV at the date of the gift was $80,000. Matt paid $10,000 in gift tax. What is the new basis to Chris?
3. Jeff gifts property to his dying brother Kevin so he can enjoy his last few months. The property has a basis of $5,000 and a FMV of $8,000 at the time of the gift. Kevin dies in six months and passes the property back to Jeff through his will. The FMV at the date of death was $7,000. What is Jeff's cost basis in the property?
4. Pete and Pat, as joint tenants in a community property state, own an investment account with a $120,000 basis. At Pete's death, the account had a FMV of $180,000. What is Pat's basis now that Pete has died?
5. Scott purchased a house and land and made several capital improvements to increase the market value of his investment. Which of the following will increase his original basis in the home and land?
I. Extending utility service lines
II. Legal Fees incurred for defending the title
III. Assessment for a sidewalk improvement
IV. New electrical wiring throughout the house
A) I only
B) I and II only
C) I, II and III
D) I, II, III and IV
InsightsHere's a look at how much you should spend and what you should give this holiday season.
InsightsAn unbelievable amount of money gets wasted in the form of non-redemption: nearly $5 billion a year. These tips will ensure that your gift card gift doesn't go to waste.
TaxesThe lifetime maximum for gift taxes is $5.12 million. However, it could drop to $1 million. Here's what that will mean.
InsightsGift cards have many benefits for retailers compared to cash sales. We'll look at a few of them.
Personal FinanceTalking Christmas gift budgets with family members can be hard, but having the talk will help you stay on track financially.
InsightsFinding a gift for a new boyfriend or girlfriend, your boss, or the postman can sometimes be a challenge.
Personal FinanceGiving a donation in someone's name as a Christmas gift is a great way to make a difference.
Personal FinanceChristmas shopping can be expensive, but there are ways to get gifts free or nearly free.
Personal FinanceAs a grandparent, you probably take pleasure in showering your grandkids with extravagances, but saving for their college education is a long-lasting gift.
Managing WealthIn any transaction between a buyer and seller, the initial price paid in an exchange for a product or service will qualify as the cost basis. When it comes to securities and related financial ...