Basis - Sample Questions 1 - 5
1. Laura received a jewelry collection from her grandparents as a gift. Laura's grandparents purchased the jewelry for $20,000 about 10 years ago. The FMV at the date of the gift was $15,000. If Laura sells the jewelry collection for $18,000, which of the following is TRUE?
A) Laura will have a realized gain of $3,000.
B) Laura will have a realized loss of $2,000.
C) Laura will have no gain or loss.
D) Laura has an offsetting transaction that results in a net $1,000 gain.
2. Chris received 100 shares of XYZ stock from his brother Matt. Matt's adjusted basis in the stock is $20,000, and the FMV at the date of the gift was $80,000. Matt paid $10,000 in gift tax. What is the new basis to Chris?
3. Jeff gifts property to his dying brother Kevin so he can enjoy his last few months. The property has a basis of $5,000 and a FMV of $8,000 at the time of the gift. Kevin dies in six months and passes the property back to Jeff through his will. The FMV at the date of death was $7,000. What is Jeff's cost basis in the property?
4. Pete and Pat, as joint tenants in a community property state, own an investment account with a $120,000 basis. At Pete's death, the account had a FMV of $180,000. What is Pat's basis now that Pete has died?
5. Scott purchased a house and land and made several capital improvements to increase the market value of his investment. Which of the following will increase his original basis in the home and land?
I. Extending utility service lines
II. Legal Fees incurred for defending the title
III. Assessment for a sidewalk improvement
IV. New electrical wiring throughout the house
A) I only
B) I and II only
C) I, II and III
D) I, II, III and IV
Mutual Funds & ETFsFind out about the PowerShares DB Commodity Tracking ETF, and explore a detailed analysis of the fund that tracks 14 distinct commodities using futures contracts.
Mutual Funds & ETFsFind out about the PowerShares FTSE RAFI U.S. 1000 ETF, and explore detailed analysis of the fund that invests in undervalued stocks.
Options & FuturesUsing iron ore options is a way to take advantage of a current downslide in iron ore prices, whether for producers or traders.
Mutual Funds & ETFsFind out about the Vanguard Small-Cap Value ETF, and explore detailed analysis of its characteristics, suitability, recommendations and historical statistics.
Mutual Funds & ETFsLearn about the Vanguard Intermediate-Term Corporate Bond ETF, and explore detailed analysis of the fund's characteristics, risks and historical statistics.
Mutual Funds & ETFsExplore detailed analysis and information of the top three Swiss exchange-traded funds that offer exposure to the Swiss equities market.
SavingsWomen's risk aversion, penchant for research – and lack of male-style "irrational exuberance" – means their investing strategies often put them ahead.
Investing BasicsRisk-adjusted return is a measurement of risk for an investment or portfolio.
Investing BasicsBuying below the margin of safety minimizes the risk to the investor.
Mutual Funds & ETFsFind out about the PowerShares S&P 500 Downside Hedged ETF, and learn detailed information about characteristics, suitability and recommendations of it.
The amount of risk that an insurance company retains after subtracting ...
Coverage that provides financial protection to investors, financial ...
The maximum loss from a peak to a trough of a portfolio, before ...
The absolute level of a fund's investments.
A technique used by insurance companies to calculate loss reserves.
The financial benefit that a risk-taking activity will bring ...
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, or FDIC, is a government-run agency that provides protection against losses if ... Read Full Answer >>
The rise of index trading may increase the overall vulnerability of the stock market due to increased correlations between ... Read Full Answer >>
The term delta refers to the change in price of an underlying stock or exchange-traded fund (ETF) as compared to the corresponding ... Read Full Answer >>
An investor who is overweight in a particular sector risks a loss in value for the portfolio if there is a downturn in that ... Read Full Answer >>
The retail sector consists of companies operating in multiple industries such as specialty retail, general retail, food and ... Read Full Answer >>
Like all equity investments, insurance companies present investors with market risk. Insurance companies, like banks, also ... Read Full Answer >>