Basis - Sample Questions 1 - 5
1. Laura received a jewelry collection from her grandparents as a gift. Laura's grandparents purchased the jewelry for $20,000 about 10 years ago. The FMV at the date of the gift was $15,000. If Laura sells the jewelry collection for $18,000, which of the following is TRUE?
A) Laura will have a realized gain of $3,000.
B) Laura will have a realized loss of $2,000.
C) Laura will have no gain or loss.
D) Laura has an offsetting transaction that results in a net $1,000 gain.
2. Chris received 100 shares of XYZ stock from his brother Matt. Matt's adjusted basis in the stock is $20,000, and the FMV at the date of the gift was $80,000. Matt paid $10,000 in gift tax. What is the new basis to Chris?
3. Jeff gifts property to his dying brother Kevin so he can enjoy his last few months. The property has a basis of $5,000 and a FMV of $8,000 at the time of the gift. Kevin dies in six months and passes the property back to Jeff through his will. The FMV at the date of death was $7,000. What is Jeff's cost basis in the property?
4. Pete and Pat, as joint tenants in a community property state, own an investment account with a $120,000 basis. At Pete's death, the account had a FMV of $180,000. What is Pat's basis now that Pete has died?
5. Scott purchased a house and land and made several capital improvements to increase the market value of his investment. Which of the following will increase his original basis in the home and land?
I. Extending utility service lines
II. Legal Fees incurred for defending the title
III. Assessment for a sidewalk improvement
IV. New electrical wiring throughout the house
A) I only
B) I and II only
C) I, II and III
D) I, II, III and IV
TermAlpha and beta are risk ratios that investors use to calculate, compare and predict returns.
RetirementRead about 401(k) plans for small businesses offered by two national providers, one delivering service online and the other through local financial advisors.
Investing BasicsSo you've gone to the trouble and expense of hiring a financial advisor. Here's how to decide whether they're doing you right or wrong.
Investing NewsRead about the investment operations of Natixis Global Asset Management, a multiaffiliate manager with $870 billion in worldwide assets under management.
Investing NewsRead about the investment management operations of Mesirow Financial, an employee-owned financial services firm with $96.8 billion in assets under management.
Investing NewsRead about the global operations of Henderson Global Investors, a London-based asset manager with more than $136 billion in assets under management.
Investing NewsRead about Pictet Asset Management, a privately held Swiss investment management company with more than $150 billion in assets under management.
Investing NewsRead about the multiaffiliate business model employed by Affiliated Managers Group, a global investment manager with $611 billion in assets under management.
Investing NewsRead about the business operations of Pioneer Investments, a global investment firm with more than $243 billion in assets under management.
Investing NewsDiscover QIC, a global alternatives investment manager based in Australia. QIC offers a global platform of strategies, including real estate and private equity.
A modification of the Sharpe ratio that differentiates harmful ...
The excess return that investing in the stock market provides ...
The amount of risk that an insurance company retains after subtracting ...
Coverage that provides financial protection to investors, financial ...
The maximum loss from a peak to a trough of a portfolio, before ...
The absolute level of a fund's investments.
Mutual funds are currently the most popular investment vehicle and provide several advantages to investors, including the ... Read Answer >>
Understand the differences between a Chartered Financial Analyst and a Certified Financial Planner. Learn how each approaches ... Read Answer >>
A stop-loss order, or stop order, is a type of advanced trade order that can be placed with most brokerage houses. The order ... Read Answer >>
Learn how to rebalance your retirement portfolio as you age, and how to redistribute profits from outperforming funds to ... Read Answer >>
Different types of orders allow you to be more specific about how you'd like your broker to fulfill your trades. When you ... Read Answer >>
Read about the differences between secured loans and unsecured loans and how they are used. Learn about forms of collateral ... Read Answer >>