1. Laura received a jewelry collection from her grandparents as a gift. Laura's grandparents purchased the jewelry for $20,000 about 10 years ago. The FMV at the date of the gift was $15,000. If Laura sells the jewelry collection for $18,000, which of the following is TRUE?
A) Laura will have a realized gain of $3,000.
B) Laura will have a realized loss of $2,000.
C) Laura will have no gain or loss.
D) Laura has an offsetting transaction that results in a net $1,000 gain.
2. Chris received 100 shares of XYZ stock from his brother Matt. Matt's adjusted basis in the stock is $20,000, and the FMV at the date of the gift was $80,000. Matt paid $10,000 in gift tax. What is the new basis to Chris?
3. Jeff gifts property to his dying brother Kevin so he can enjoy his last few months. The property has a basis of $5,000 and a FMV of $8,000 at the time of the gift. Kevin dies in six months and passes the property back to Jeff through his will. The FMV at the date of death was $7,000. What is Jeff's cost basis in the property?
4. Pete and Pat, as joint tenants in a community property state, own an investment account with a $120,000 basis. At Pete's death, the account had a FMV of $180,000. What is Pat's basis now that Pete has died?
5. Scott purchased a house and land and made several capital improvements to increase the market value of his investment. Which of the following will increase his original basis in the home and land?
I. Extending utility service lines
II. Legal Fees incurred for defending the title
III. Assessment for a sidewalk improvement
IV. New electrical wiring throughout the house
A) I only
B) I and II only
C) I, II and III
D) I, II, III and IV
InsightsHere's a look at how much you should spend and what you should give this holiday season.
InsightsHere are the gift cards that offer the best deals and those that aren't worth your money.
TaxesThe lifetime maximum for gift taxes is $5.12 million. However, it could drop to $1 million. Here's what that will mean.
Personal FinanceUse these tips whether you're buying someone a gift or just want to score a discount at your favorite stores.
Personal FinanceTalking Christmas gift budgets with family members can be hard, but having the talk will help you stay on track financially.
InsightsFinding a gift for a new boyfriend or girlfriend, your boss, or the postman can sometimes be a challenge.
InvestingCould you buy a gift card online and find out it's worthless? Here's how to protect yourself (and whether you need to).
RetirementThe age-old traditional gold watch has not gone out of style, but it's only one of many appropriate gifts to give a retiring employee.
Managing WealthUnderstanding equity cost basis is critical for tracking the gains or losses of an investment.