Characteristics, Uses and Taxation of Investments - Convertible Bond Mathematics
- Analysis and valuation of convertible bonds could fill volumes and actually do [Much has been written about convertible securities. Two volumes, in particular, explore both the basics and the arcana of these instruments. They come from the portfolio managers at Calamos Investments, an investment management firm with a focus on convertible bonds. Calamos, John P. CONVERTIBLE SECURITIES The Latest Instruments, Portfolio Strategies, and Valuation Analysis Revised Edition McGraw-Hill ,1998 and Calamos, Nick P. Convertible Arbitrage: Insights and Techniques for Successful Hedging John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2003]. For the purpose of the Certified Financial Planner ™ examination, a working knowledge of the basic traits, the mathematics of conversion and their suitability in a client portfolio is sufficient. Evaluation considers several factors, to wit:
- Price appreciation required of the underlying common stock of the issuer for conversion to be attractive. The conversion premium ration measures this.
- The growth prospects of the underlying common stock.
- The bond's downside potential should the underlying common stock's price be so low as to render the conversion privilege worthless.
- The yield sacrifice required to purchase the convertible.
- The income advantage to acquiring the convertible bond rather than the quantity of shares of the underlying common stock that would be obtained upon conversion.
- The quality of the bond and the underlying stock, both of which are, in turn, a function of the quality of the issuer.
- The breakeven time which is the number of years over which the premium paid to acquire the convertible will be recovered through what the bondholder expects to be the favorable income differential offered by the convertible bond relative to the underlying common stock.
- Formulae: better than committing them to memory alone is an understanding of how and where they figure in the analytical and valuation process. Therefore, a detailed example is provided to bring these concepts together and reinforce them.
Information on the Globotron Meganet (GMN) 5 ¾ % Convertible Bond Due in 9+ Years and Common Stock
|Coupon rate||5 ¾ %|
|Current market price||$106.5|
|Conversion Ratio||25.320 shares of ADC/$1,000 par value|
|Non-callable for||three years|
|Maturity Date||9+ Years|
|Call Price Schedule|
|In Year 4||103.59|
|In Year 5||102.88|
|In Year 6||102.16|
|In Year 7||101.44|
|In Year 8||100.72|
|In Year 9||100.00|
|In Year 10||100.00|
|ADC Common Stock|
|Current dividend yield||2.727%|
|Dividend Per Share||$0.90|
Conversion Ratio: the number of shares of common stock that the investor receives from exercising the call option. The ratio may be valid for all or a portion of the bond's life and the ratio itself may change. It is adjusted proportionately for stock splits and stock dividends. ADC Conversion ratio: 25.32 shares
(Stated) Conversion Price: par value/conversion ratio. ADC's conversion price: $1,000/25.32 shares = $39.49
Conversion (parity) Value: conversion value = market price of common stock x conversion ratio. This formula determines the value of the security if immediately converted. Callable and Foreign Bonds and Promissory Notes
Career Education & ResourcesIt was a big year for change within the RIA industry. Here are 2015's biggest mergers, acquisitions and buyouts.
Options & FuturesFutures have a number of advantages over options such as fixed upfront trading costs, lack of time decay and liquidity.
Products and InvestmentsThe 10 steps outlined here are essential to the creation of a new financial product.
ProfessionalsHere's an inside look at the workdays of two experienced CPAs, to give you an idea of what it might be like to pursue a career as a public accountant.
ProfessionalsThere’s no typical day in the life of a public accountant, but one accountant’s experience may shed some light on what the career entails.
Saving and SpendingRetirees who don't want to deplete their nest eggs during a bear market should make sure to do the following.
Mutual Funds & ETFsGet a brief overview of Fidelity's seven target risk funds, with a description of each fund's asset allocation and expense ratio.
Investing NewsWarning signs have started to emerge that point to a potentially dismal 2016 for the U.S. economy.
MarketsAlgorithmic HFT has a number of risks, and it also can amplify systemic risk because of its propensity to intensify market volatility.
Mutual Funds & ETFsExplore analyses of the top three Invesco mutual funds for retirement diversification in 2016, and learn about the characteristics of these target-date funds.
A modification of the Sharpe ratio that differentiates harmful ...
The excess return that investing in the stock market provides ...
The amount of risk that an insurance company retains after subtracting ...
Coverage that provides financial protection to investors, financial ...
The maximum loss from a peak to a trough of a portfolio, before ...
The absolute level of a fund's investments.
Different types of orders allow you to be more specific about how you'd like your broker to fulfill your trades. When you ... Read Full Answer >>
Secured loans are better for the borrower than unsecured loans because the loan terms are more agreeable. Often, the interest ... Read Full Answer >>
Out of the 2,800 mutual funds that Morningstar, Inc., the leading provider of independent investment research in North America, ... Read Full Answer >>
Like all securities, mutual funds are subject to market, or systematic, risk. This is because there is no way to predict ... Read Full Answer >>
Mutual funds have become an incredibly popular option for a wide variety of investors. This is primarily due to the automatic ... Read Full Answer >>
While your auto insurance company cannot pull your full motor vehicle report, or MVR, it does pull a record summary that ... Read Full Answer >>