Charitable Contributions And Deductions - Sample Questions 1 - 5
1. You donate stock (held for two years) with a FMV of $20,000 to your church. Your AGI for the same year was $50,000. What is the amount of your allowable deduction in the year of the gift?
2. All of the following statements are true EXCEPT:
A) Charitable contributions can be carried forward for up to five years.
B) Cash charitable contributions are deductible up to 50% of AGI.
C) Non-profit public hospitals are qualified public charities.
D) Donation of a $2,500 car will require a written appraisal.
3. All of the following would be considered "qualified" public charities EXCEPT:
A) Republican Campaign Committee
B) Boy Scouts of America
C) Penn State University
D) United Way
4. Lefty bought a Hank Aaron baseball card in 1995 for $200. He donated the card to the Humane Society 15 years later when the card had a FMV of $800. Lefty has an AGI of $30,000 and he plans on itemizing his deductions. What is his charitable deduction if the Humane Society can sell the card for $800?
5. ABC Corporation donated seven boxes of new jackets (from inventory) to the Salvation Army, which cost them $2,000 to manufacture two years ago. ABC Corp has a total taxable income of $100,000 and the seven boxes of jackets have a FMV of $4,000. Which of the following are true statements?
I. ABC Corp's maximum allowable charitable deduction is $10,000.
II. ABC Corp's charitable deduction for the jackets is $4,000.
III. ABC Corp's charitable deduction for the jackets is $2,000.
IV. ABC Corp will have a $2,000 carry forward charitable deduction.
A) I and II only
B) I and III only
C) I, III and IV only
D) I and IV only
ProfessionalsCharitable Contributions And Deductions
TaxesAn overview of the limits and tax deductions of charitable donations.
TaxesDonations made to charitable organizations can reduce your taxable income, thus your overall tax bill. But not all donations qualify to be deductable.
Saving and SpendingCharitable donations can be a great financial planning tool. Here are some ways to make the most of them.
ProfessionalsCharitable Contributions by Business Entities
TaxesTax deductions and credits aren't just for big companies. You might be surprised how many tax breaks apply to your return.
PhilanthropyClients who wish to make donations to charity can reap an enormous tax deduction with charitable remainder trusts, but it must be set up correctly.
One of the itemized deductions available for taxpayers who donate ...
A gift made by an individual or an organization to a nonprofit ...
A document published by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that ...
A nonprofit organization that qualifies for tax-exempt status ...
The sale of a good or service to a charitable organization for ...
Substantiation required by the Internal Revenue Service for a ...
Read more about the deductions taken to arrive at adjusted gross income, or AGI, including the differences between above ... Read Answer >>
Find out how your health insurance deductible is treated for tax purposes and under what conditions you may be able to deduct ... Read Answer >>
Giving stock, instead of cash, as a donation can greatly benefit both parties. You will find that most charities, hospitals, ... Read Answer >>
Taking the standard deduction is the easiest and most common method chosen by filers, but many taxpayers may wind up paying ... Read Answer >>
Learn about some of the unexpected tax deductions for fees incurred through credit card purchases for both individuals and ... Read Answer >>
Each deduction that you claim may result in a decrease in the amount of taxes that you owe. However, whether you receive ... Read Answer >>