Charitable Contributions And Deductions - Sample Questions 1 - 5
1. You donate stock (held for two years) with a FMV of $20,000 to your church. Your AGI for the same year was $50,000. What is the amount of your allowable deduction in the year of the gift?
2. All of the following statements are true EXCEPT:
A) Charitable contributions can be carried forward for up to five years.
B) Cash charitable contributions are deductible up to 50% of AGI.
C) Non-profit public hospitals are qualified public charities.
D) Donation of a $2,500 car will require a written appraisal.
3. All of the following would be considered "qualified" public charities EXCEPT:
A) Republican Campaign Committee
B) Boy Scouts of America
C) Penn State University
D) United Way
4. Lefty bought a Hank Aaron baseball card in 1995 for $200. He donated the card to the Humane Society 15 years later when the card had a FMV of $800. Lefty has an AGI of $30,000 and he plans on itemizing his deductions. What is his charitable deduction if the Humane Society can sell the card for $800?
5. ABC Corporation donated seven boxes of new jackets (from inventory) to the Salvation Army, which cost them $2,000 to manufacture two years ago. ABC Corp has a total taxable income of $100,000 and the seven boxes of jackets have a FMV of $4,000. Which of the following are true statements?
I. ABC Corp's maximum allowable charitable deduction is $10,000.
II. ABC Corp's charitable deduction for the jackets is $4,000.
III. ABC Corp's charitable deduction for the jackets is $2,000.
IV. ABC Corp will have a $2,000 carry forward charitable deduction.
A) I and II only
B) I and III only
C) I, III and IV only
D) I and IV only
Options & FuturesFutures have a number of advantages over options such as fixed upfront trading costs, lack of time decay and liquidity.
Products and InvestmentsThe 10 steps outlined here are essential to the creation of a new financial product.
ProfessionalsHere's an inside look at the workdays of two experienced CPAs, to give you an idea of what it might be like to pursue a career as a public accountant.
ProfessionalsThere’s no typical day in the life of a public accountant, but one accountant’s experience may shed some light on what the career entails.
Saving and SpendingRetirees who don't want to deplete their nest eggs during a bear market should make sure to do the following.
Mutual Funds & ETFsGet a brief overview of Fidelity's seven target risk funds, with a description of each fund's asset allocation and expense ratio.
Investing NewsWarning signs have started to emerge that point to a potentially dismal 2016 for the U.S. economy.
MarketsAlgorithmic HFT has a number of risks, and it also can amplify systemic risk because of its propensity to intensify market volatility.
Mutual Funds & ETFsExplore analyses of the top three Invesco mutual funds for retirement diversification in 2016, and learn about the characteristics of these target-date funds.
Investing BasicsHedging risk is always a good idea. Here is how sophisticated investors go about it.
A modification of the Sharpe ratio that differentiates harmful ...
The excess return that investing in the stock market provides ...
The amount of risk that an insurance company retains after subtracting ...
Coverage that provides financial protection to investors, financial ...
The maximum loss from a peak to a trough of a portfolio, before ...
The absolute level of a fund's investments.
Different types of orders allow you to be more specific about how you'd like your broker to fulfill your trades. When you ... Read Full Answer >>
Secured loans are better for the borrower than unsecured loans because the loan terms are more agreeable. Often, the interest ... Read Full Answer >>
Out of the 2,800 mutual funds that Morningstar, Inc., the leading provider of independent investment research in North America, ... Read Full Answer >>
Like all securities, mutual funds are subject to market, or systematic, risk. This is because there is no way to predict ... Read Full Answer >>
Mutual funds have become an incredibly popular option for a wide variety of investors. This is primarily due to the automatic ... Read Full Answer >>
While your auto insurance company cannot pull your full motor vehicle report, or MVR, it does pull a record summary that ... Read Full Answer >>