Depreciation And Cost-Recovery Concepts - Sample Questions 1 - 7
1. Which of the following properties must use cost depletion?
A) Oil wells
B) Gas wells
2. Lefty Printing Company purchased a new printing press for $1 million. Under Section 179 rules, a small business is allowed a first year deduction for equipment in what amount?
D) $1 million
3. If the new printing press that Lefty Printing Company just purchased cost them $2,350,000, then how much would be their first year deduction under the Section 179 rules?
4. Chicago Computers Inc. (CCI) purchased some equipment last year to be used for their computer business. If the owner of CCI wants to maximize her tax depreciation, then she should use which depreciation method?
A) Accelerated Cost Recovery System (ACRS)
B) Straight-Line depreciation
C) Amortization Fast Line Method
D) Modified Accelerated Cost Recovery System (MACRS)
5. Which of the following Section 197 intangible property would qualify for Amortization:
(2) Sports franchise
(3) Interests in land
(5) Costs of acquiring customer lists
A) 1, 3 and 5 only
B) 1, 3 and 4 only
C) 1, 4 and 5 only
D) 1, 2 and 4 only
6. Value Cola Canning had 125 employees and a taxable income of $275,000 this year. They purchased $1 million in new canning equipment during the year, and their CPA is recommending the Section 179 deduction. What is their maximum allowable deduction under Section 179 and carry forward amount (if any) for this year's tax filing?
A) Maximum Section 179 deduction is $275,000 / Carry forward is $225,000.
B) Maximum Section 179 deduction is $500,000 / Carry forward is $0.
C) Maximum Section 179 deduction is $1,000,000 / Carry forward is $0.
D) Maximum Section 179 deduction is $0 / Carry forward is $500,000.
7. Jeffrey purchased a truck this year (year one). He used the truck for business use 75% of the time. His adjusted gross income was $70,000 and the cost of the truck was $30,000. The MACRS statutory percentage for five-year property in year one is 20%. What is Jeffrey's depreciation deduction for year one?
ProfessionalsSection 179 Deduction
TaxesStep-by-step, how to fill out the depreciation and amortization form for your business tax return.
Financial Advisor TechnologyFinancial advisors have many incentives to purchase technological equipment. Read the fine print to make sure you are getting the right deductions.
TermSection 1231 property is depreciable business property that’s held for a year or longer.
InvestingHow the depreciation tax rule can assist real estate investors.
EntrepreneurshipLearn how to navigate the complicated rules for writing off the expenses of starting your own business. It could save you a lot of money.
TaxesApril and taxes are due soon. If you need to file your return, you might have to decide if itemizing your deductions this year will net you a better deal.
ProfessionalsDepreciation can be used as a tax deduction.
ProfessionalsA description of the various deductions and credits that can be claimed on individuals' tax returns.
An immediate expense deduction that business owners can take ...
A tax term relating to depreciable business property that has ...
A tax form distributed by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) ...
Above the line deductions are certain types of deductions that ...
A section of the United States Internal Revenue Service Code ...
Schedule A is a U.S. income tax form that is used by taxpayers ...
Learn about some of the most common business tax deductions available to small businesses that can reduce net business expenses. Read Answer >>
Find out how your health insurance deductible is treated for tax purposes and under what conditions you may be able to deduct ... Read Answer >>
Read more about the deductions taken to arrive at adjusted gross income, or AGI, including the differences between above ... Read Answer >>
Learn which businesses are required to depreciate or amortize capital expenses, or CAPEX, and which businesses are eligible ... Read Answer >>
Each deduction that you claim may result in a decrease in the amount of taxes that you owe. However, whether you receive ... Read Answer >>
Understand the meaning of capital expenditures, and learn what the implications are for companies resulting from tax laws ... Read Answer >>