Depreciation And Cost-Recovery Concepts - Sample Questions 1 - 7
1. Which of the following properties must use cost depletion?
A) Oil wells
B) Gas wells
2. Lefty Printing Company purchased a new printing press for $1 million. Under Section 179 rules, a small business is allowed a first year deduction for equipment in what amount?
D) $1 million
3. If the new printing press that Lefty Printing Company just purchased cost them $2,350,000, then how much would be their first year deduction under the Section 179 rules?
4. Chicago Computers Inc. (CCI) purchased some equipment last year to be used for their computer business. If the owner of CCI wants to maximize her tax depreciation, then she should use which depreciation method?
A) Accelerated Cost Recovery System (ACRS)
B) Straight-Line depreciation
C) Amortization Fast Line Method
D) Modified Accelerated Cost Recovery System (MACRS)
5. Which of the following Section 197 intangible property would qualify for Amortization:
(2) Sports franchise
(3) Interests in land
(5) Costs of acquiring customer lists
A) 1, 3 and 5 only
B) 1, 3 and 4 only
C) 1, 4 and 5 only
D) 1, 2 and 4 only
6. Value Cola Canning had 125 employees and a taxable income of $275,000 this year. They purchased $1 million in new canning equipment during the year, and their CPA is recommending the Section 179 deduction. What is their maximum allowable deduction under Section 179 and carry forward amount (if any) for this year's tax filing?
A) Maximum Section 179 deduction is $275,000 / Carry forward is $225,000.
B) Maximum Section 179 deduction is $500,000 / Carry forward is $0.
C) Maximum Section 179 deduction is $1,000,000 / Carry forward is $0.
D) Maximum Section 179 deduction is $0 / Carry forward is $500,000.
7. Jeffrey purchased a truck this year (year one). He used the truck for business use 75% of the time. His adjusted gross income was $70,000 and the cost of the truck was $30,000. The MACRS statutory percentage for five-year property in year one is 20%. What is Jeffrey's depreciation deduction for year one?
Investing BasicsAre you considering hiring a fee-only financial advisor or one who is compensated via commissions? Read this first.
InvestingWhile stocks have rallied since the economic recovery in 2009, many active portfolio managers have struggled to deliver investor returns in excess.
RetirementWe discuss the advantages of seeking professional help when it comes to managing our retirement account.
Personal FinanceWhile there’s still potential for some “tweaking” around your Social Security retirement benefits, I’d like to share some insight on what we know now.
Chart AdvisorThere has been lots of hype around the IPO market lately. We'll take a look at whether now is the time to buy.
EntrepreneurshipLearn how a complete risk management plan can minimize or eliminate your financial exposure through insurance and prevention solutions.
Investing BasicsA diversified portfolio will protect you in a tough market. Get some solid tips here!
EntrepreneurshipThere are a lot of risks associated with running a business, but there are an equal number of ways to prepare for and manage them.
Active TradingIt's impossible to avoid disaster without trading rules - make sure you know how to devise them for yourself.
Trading StrategiesReduce position size by 50% to 75% in a flat market.
The excess return that investing in the stock market provides ...
The amount of risk that an insurance company retains after subtracting ...
Coverage that provides financial protection to investors, financial ...
The maximum loss from a peak to a trough of a portfolio, before ...
The absolute level of a fund's investments.
A technique used by insurance companies to calculate loss reserves.
Secured loans are better for the borrower than unsecured loans because the loan terms are more agreeable. Often, the interest ... Read Full Answer >>
Out of the 2,800 mutual funds that Morningstar, Inc., the leading provider of independent investment research in North America, ... Read Full Answer >>
Like all securities, mutual funds are subject to market, or systematic, risk. This is because there is no way to predict ... Read Full Answer >>
Mutual funds have become an incredibly popular option for a wide variety of investors. This is primarily due to the automatic ... Read Full Answer >>
While your auto insurance company cannot pull your full motor vehicle report, or MVR, it does pull a record summary that ... Read Full Answer >>
While the majority of financial advisors work for financial institutions such as banks, a large proportion of them are self-employed ... Read Full Answer >>