- A non-qualified stock option (NQSO) is any option other than an incentive stock option.
- Non-qualified stock options have greater flexibility than incentive stock options in a number of ways.
1. Shareholders approval is not required.
2. There is far greater flexibility for the employer to grant the options as to terms of the grant, vesting and period over which they may be exercised (e.g. no limits on the annual value of the grant or any requirement that the option be out of the money at the grant date).
3. There is greater flexibility as to whom the option may be granted: an employee, independent contractor as well as any family members of the foregoing.
4. There are more transferability options for holders of NQSOs.
- Grant - no taxable event is triggered when options are granted as the strike price and market price are nearly identical.
- Exercise - to the extent that the option is in the money, that amount is deemed W-2 income and subject to payroll tax.
- Basis - after exercise, the strike price plus the in-the-money amount serve as the basis in the shares for the computation of any capital gains.
- Sale (disposition) - there are two options here:
1. The sale of shares results in a capital gain/loss, depending upon whether or not the option is in the money.
2. The holding period determines whether the capital gain is long- or short-term.
Transferability of NQSOs
Managing WealthThese plans can be lucrative for employees - if they know how to avoid unnecessary taxes.
TradingLearn the good, the bad and the ugly sides of this type of payout.
Managing WealthMany corporations encourage employees to participate in the company’s growth by offering them a piece of the pie. That means employee stock options.
TradingLearn more about stock options, including some basic terminology and the source of profits.
TaxesThat depends on the type of stock option you have. A rundown of the tax treatment for statutory and nonstatutory, or non-qualified, options.
TradingThe pros and cons of corporate stock options have been debated since the incentive was created. Learn more about stock option basics and the cost of stock options.
TradingExotic options provide investors with new alternatives to manage their portfolio risks and speculate on various market opportunities. The pricing for such instruments is considerably complex, ...
TradingLearn the top three risks and how they can affect you on either side of an options trade.