Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax - Sample Questions 1 - 4
1. Which of the following concerning the GSTT is TRUE?
A) The GSTT annual exclusion amount is $1 million for the 2013 tax year.
B) The GSTT gift is also subject to the gift tax.
C) A great-grandchild would not be considered a skip-beneficiary to the great-grandfather.
D) The GSTT is not imposed on direct skips.
2. All of the following are true statements concerning the GSTT EXCEPT:
A) The GSTT is in addition to an estate and gift taxes.
B) The maximum GSTT rate of tax is 40%.
C) GSTT transfers do not apply to bequests.
D) For 2013, each taxpayer is given a $5,250,000 GSTT exemption.
3. Beverly, age 68, decides to make several gifts from her estate in 2013. Which of the following gifts are subject to the GSTT?
A) $60,000 to the daughter (age 12) of her best friend.
B) $14,000 to her granddaughter (age 19) for a car.
C) $50,000 to her niece (age 10) to go to Europe.
D) $100,000 paid directly to Harvard University for her grandson's business school tuition.
4. James and Judy are both 72 years old. They have two children (Allen and Aaron). Allen had two children with his first wife Betty (age 50), and their names are Tom and Tanya. Allen died in an automobile accident a few years back while both of his children were in college. Since that time, they both live with Betty. Judy has a $5 million life insurance policy. Which of the following are TRUE statements as they apply to James and Judy?
(1) The grandchild, Tom, is a skip beneficiary.
(2) James gets a $5 million GSTT exclusion that can be carried over to Judy in the event of his death.
(3) Judy can gift $10,000 to each child and grandchild without any GSTT liability.
(4) Aaron is a non-skip beneficiary.
(5) Judy can gift $14,000 to Betty without any GSTT liability.
A) 1, 3 and 5 only
B) 2, 3 and 4 only
C) 1 and 4 only
D) 3, 4 and 5 only
Career Education & ResourcesIt was a big year for change within the RIA industry. Here are 2015's biggest mergers, acquisitions and buyouts.
Options & FuturesFutures have a number of advantages over options such as fixed upfront trading costs, lack of time decay and liquidity.
Products and InvestmentsThe 10 steps outlined here are essential to the creation of a new financial product.
ProfessionalsHere's an inside look at the workdays of two experienced CPAs, to give you an idea of what it might be like to pursue a career as a public accountant.
ProfessionalsThere’s no typical day in the life of a public accountant, but one accountant’s experience may shed some light on what the career entails.
Saving and SpendingRetirees who don't want to deplete their nest eggs during a bear market should make sure to do the following.
Mutual Funds & ETFsGet a brief overview of Fidelity's seven target risk funds, with a description of each fund's asset allocation and expense ratio.
Investing NewsWarning signs have started to emerge that point to a potentially dismal 2016 for the U.S. economy.
MarketsAlgorithmic HFT has a number of risks, and it also can amplify systemic risk because of its propensity to intensify market volatility.
Mutual Funds & ETFsExplore analyses of the top three Invesco mutual funds for retirement diversification in 2016, and learn about the characteristics of these target-date funds.
A modification of the Sharpe ratio that differentiates harmful ...
The excess return that investing in the stock market provides ...
The amount of risk that an insurance company retains after subtracting ...
Coverage that provides financial protection to investors, financial ...
The maximum loss from a peak to a trough of a portfolio, before ...
The absolute level of a fund's investments.
Different types of orders allow you to be more specific about how you'd like your broker to fulfill your trades. When you ... Read Full Answer >>
Secured loans are better for the borrower than unsecured loans because the loan terms are more agreeable. Often, the interest ... Read Full Answer >>
Out of the 2,800 mutual funds that Morningstar, Inc., the leading provider of independent investment research in North America, ... Read Full Answer >>
Like all securities, mutual funds are subject to market, or systematic, risk. This is because there is no way to predict ... Read Full Answer >>
Mutual funds have become an incredibly popular option for a wide variety of investors. This is primarily due to the automatic ... Read Full Answer >>
While your auto insurance company cannot pull your full motor vehicle report, or MVR, it does pull a record summary that ... Read Full Answer >>