Gift Tax Filing Requirements
Generally, you must file a gift tax return on Form 709 if any of the following apply:
- You gave gifts to at least one person (other than your spouse) more than the annual exclusion for the year.
- You and your spouse are splitting a gift (see below).
- You gave someone (other than your spouse) a gift of a future interest that he or she cannot actually possess, enjoy or receive income from until some time in the future.
- You gave your spouse an interest in property that will be ended by some future event.
The short formula for computing gift taxes for the current year is:
Tentative tax – (Prior year gifts x Current gift rates) – unified credit, where:
- Tentative tax is the gift rate applied to adjusted taxable gifts for the current or preceding years.
- Adjusted taxable gifts for current or preceding years represent the total of gifts (at FMV), in excess of exclusions and deductions. The tentative gift tax is reduced by the product of the prior years' adjusted taxable gifts and the current year rates.
- Current gift rates are the same unified transfer tax rates as used for computing estate taxes.
- Unified credit is a base amount of $1,730,800, the equivalent estate or gift tax on the first $5,340,000 of taxable transfer (in 2014) reduced by the amounts allowed as credits for all preceding years.
Exclusions and Deductions
Personal FinanceIf you're not sure what gift taxes are, read on and we'll explain.
Personal FinanceThe lifetime maximum for gift taxes is $5.12 million. However, it could drop to $1 million. Here's what that will mean.
Financial AdvisorEstate planning is not just for inheritance. High net-worth individuals, who plan properly, can gift their money and save on taxes.
Personal FinanceHere are the gift cards that offer the best deals and those that aren't worth your money.
Personal FinanceGift cards are big business, amounting to an estimated $91 billion in annual retail spending. Get the most bang for your gift card buck.
Personal FinanceUse these tips whether you're buying someone a gift or just want to score a discount at your favorite stores.
Personal FinanceTalking Christmas gift budgets with family members can be hard, but having the talk will help you stay on track financially.
InvestingGift cards can cost less when you buy them through a discount website. Just do the math before you cough up the cash.
Personal FinanceGift cards have many benefits for retailers compared to cash sales. We'll look at a few of them.
InvestingCould you buy a gift card online and find out it's worthless? Here's how to protect yourself (and whether you need to).