New Federal Tax Legislation (order of origination & approval):
- House Ways and Means Committee
- House of Representatives
- Senate Finance Committee
- Interprets the Code and Issues Regulations
- Second highest authority next to the IRC
- Regulations have the full force and effect of the law
National Office of the IRS
- Issues Revenue Rulings
- They do not have the full force of the law
- Can be cited as precedent
- Private Letter Rulings -– used to describe a position on a particular proposed tax issue to a taxpayer. They are considered the substantial authority for the purpose of avoiding accuracy-related penalties. It is only precedent for the taxpayer for which it was specifically addressed.
- Technical Advice Memorandums (TAMs) - ruling from an IRS office in response to a particular question raised by an audit agent, when a need for clarification arises.
- Determination Letters - similar to private letter rulings, but issued by district directors for complicated issues involving completed transactions.
Secondary Authority & Research Sources
TaxesIf tax rules and regulations are Greek to you, read on to learn how to decipher them.
TaxesThe tax code is 5296 pages long, and it still hasn't been abridged by Congress. Find out why.
Financial AdvisorEven if tax day has come and gone, errors still can be fixed through mid-October, including those to do with Roth and traditional IRAs.
Personal FinanceThe Volcker Rule is likely to be threatened by the new administration appointed by Donald Trump, who campaigned on promises to dismantle Dodd-Frank.
TaxesThe U.S. Senate recently allowed a measure for the IRS to revoke your passport. Here's what you need to know.
InvestingIssued shares are the amount of authorized stocks a company’s shareholders buy and own. The annual report shows the number of outstanding shares.
InvestingCrafting a strong cover letter for a job can increase your chances of standing out from the crowd and landing an interview. Some techniques that help.
TaxesThe U.S. Senate has passed a bill that will impose a sales tax on online retailers. Discover how the Marketplace Fairness Act could affect your bottom line.
TaxesWhat might seem like normal tax advice in the U.S. could result in stiff penalties for accountants and financial planners in the U.K. under proposed regulations.
Managing WealthThis simple document can take the guesswork and headache out of settling your estate.