New Federal Tax Legislation (order of origination & approval):
- House Ways and Means Committee
- House of Representatives
- Senate Finance Committee
- Interprets the Code and Issues Regulations
- Second highest authority next to the IRC
- Regulations have the full force and effect of the law
National Office of the IRS
- Issues Revenue Rulings
- They do not have the full force of the law
- Can be cited as precedent
- Private Letter Rulings -– used to describe a position on a particular proposed tax issue to a taxpayer. They are considered the substantial authority for the purpose of avoiding accuracy-related penalties. It is only precedent for the taxpayer for which it was specifically addressed.
- Technical Advice Memorandums (TAMs) - ruling from an IRS office in response to a particular question raised by an audit agent, when a need for clarification arises.
- Determination Letters - similar to private letter rulings, but issued by district directors for complicated issues involving completed transactions.
Secondary Authority & Research Sources
Financial AdvisorEven if tax day has come and gone, errors still can be fixed through mid-October, including those to do with Roth and traditional IRAs.
InvestingIssued shares are the amount of authorized stocks a company’s shareholders buy and own. The annual report shows the number of outstanding shares.
InvestingCrafting a strong cover letter for a job can increase your chances of standing out from the crowd and landing an interview. Some techniques that help.
Financial AdvisorNow that the DoL's Fiduciary Rule has been released, it'll be subject to a legal fight by opponents. Here's an overview.
RetirementThis simple document can take the guesswork and headache out of settling your estate.
Financial AdvisorAlthough the normal litany of adjustments have been made to the tax code, there are several more unique issues that taxpayers must contend with.
InvestingYou have found a job that sounds ideal. You might have the exact skills that the employer is looking for, but unless you can broadcast your abilities, the employer may never know you are the ...
MarketsThe Obama administration went after tax evaders and money launderers yesterday by releasing a set of new proposals that make ownership disclosures mandatory.
Managing WealthThe pending IRS rule changes for partnerships and LLCs could drastically curtail the way assets within them are valued and taxed. Here's why.
Personal FinanceIt doesn't automatically mean an IRS agent will be ringing your doorbell. Here are the different types of IRS audits and how to handle them.