Income Tax Law Fundamentals - Sample Questions 1 - 5
1. Lillian bought local public activity municipal bonds and financed a new home because she was interested in getting some tax-free interest and itemizing her deductions on her federal tax return. This would be a good example of which of the following:
(1) Tax evasion
(2) Buying bonds exempt from regular income tax, but subject to AMT
(3) Tax avoidance
(4) Supporting a local municipality
(5) Building long-term equity through home ownership
A) 1, 2, and 5 only
B) 2, 3, 4, and 5 only
C) 3, 4, and 5 only
D) 3 and 5 only
2. Which of the following might a CFP® certificant recommend if they want to provide tax-deferred income to an investor:
(1) Corporate bonds in a brokerage account
(2) Dividend stocks in a traditional IRA
(3) Fixed annuity
(4) High-yield mutual funds in a 401(k) plan
(5) REIT investments in a joint brokerage
A) 1, 2 , and 3 only
B) 2, 3, and 4 only
C) 3, 4, and 5 only
D) 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5
3. Which of the following statements about taxes are TRUE?
A) Tax evasion is illegal
B) Tax avoidance is illegal
C) Tax-free income is taxed at the federal level
D) The Treasury Department is the highest source of tax authority
4. All of the following are issued by the National Office of the IRS, EXCEPT?
A) Private letter rulings
B) Technical advice memorandums
C) Revenue rulings
5. Which of the following statements are TRUE regarding the federal tax trial & appeal courts?
I. Jury trial is not available in the U.S. Tax Court
II. Appeals can be made to the U.S. Court of Appeals
III. In the U.S. District Court, taxpayer must pay their deficiency, then sue for refund
IV. U.S. Court of Federal Claims rules on monetary cases against the U.S.
A) I and II only
B) I, II, and III only
C) II, III, and IV only
D) I, II, III, and IV
Career Education & ResourcesIt was a big year for change within the RIA industry. Here are 2015's biggest mergers, acquisitions and buyouts.
Options & FuturesFutures have a number of advantages over options such as fixed upfront trading costs, lack of time decay and liquidity.
Products and InvestmentsThe 10 steps outlined here are essential to the creation of a new financial product.
ProfessionalsHere's an inside look at the workdays of two experienced CPAs, to give you an idea of what it might be like to pursue a career as a public accountant.
ProfessionalsThere’s no typical day in the life of a public accountant, but one accountant’s experience may shed some light on what the career entails.
Saving and SpendingRetirees who don't want to deplete their nest eggs during a bear market should make sure to do the following.
Mutual Funds & ETFsGet a brief overview of Fidelity's seven target risk funds, with a description of each fund's asset allocation and expense ratio.
Investing NewsWarning signs have started to emerge that point to a potentially dismal 2016 for the U.S. economy.
MarketsAlgorithmic HFT has a number of risks, and it also can amplify systemic risk because of its propensity to intensify market volatility.
Mutual Funds & ETFsExplore analyses of the top three Invesco mutual funds for retirement diversification in 2016, and learn about the characteristics of these target-date funds.
A modification of the Sharpe ratio that differentiates harmful ...
The excess return that investing in the stock market provides ...
The amount of risk that an insurance company retains after subtracting ...
Coverage that provides financial protection to investors, financial ...
The maximum loss from a peak to a trough of a portfolio, before ...
The absolute level of a fund's investments.
Different types of orders allow you to be more specific about how you'd like your broker to fulfill your trades. When you ... Read Full Answer >>
Secured loans are better for the borrower than unsecured loans because the loan terms are more agreeable. Often, the interest ... Read Full Answer >>
Out of the 2,800 mutual funds that Morningstar, Inc., the leading provider of independent investment research in North America, ... Read Full Answer >>
Like all securities, mutual funds are subject to market, or systematic, risk. This is because there is no way to predict ... Read Full Answer >>
Mutual funds have become an incredibly popular option for a wide variety of investors. This is primarily due to the automatic ... Read Full Answer >>
While your auto insurance company cannot pull your full motor vehicle report, or MVR, it does pull a record summary that ... Read Full Answer >>