1. Lillian bought local public activity municipal bonds and financed a new home because she was interested in getting some tax-free interest and itemizing her deductions on her federal tax return. This would be a good example of which of the following:
(1) Tax evasion
(2) Buying bonds exempt from regular income tax, but subject to AMT
(3) Tax avoidance
(4) Supporting a local municipality
(5) Building long-term equity through home ownership
A) 1, 2, and 5 only
B) 2, 3, 4, and 5 only
C) 3, 4, and 5 only
D) 3 and 5 only
2. Which of the following might a CFP® certificant recommend if they want to provide tax-deferred income to an investor:
(1) Corporate bonds in a brokerage account
(2) Dividend stocks in a traditional IRA
(3) Fixed annuity
(4) High-yield mutual funds in a 401(k) plan
(5) REIT investments in a joint brokerage
A) 1, 2 , and 3 only
B) 2, 3, and 4 only
C) 3, 4, and 5 only
D) 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5
3. Which of the following statements about taxes are TRUE?
A) Tax evasion is illegal
B) Tax avoidance is illegal
C) Tax-free income is taxed at the federal level
D) The Treasury Department is the highest source of tax authority
4. All of the following are issued by the National Office of the IRS, EXCEPT?
A) Private letter rulings
B) Technical advice memorandums
C) Revenue rulings
5. Which of the following statements are TRUE regarding the federal tax trial & appeal courts?
I. Jury trial is not available in the U.S. Tax Court
II. Appeals can be made to the U.S. Court of Appeals
III. In the U.S. District Court, taxpayer must pay their deficiency, then sue for refund
IV. U.S. Court of Federal Claims rules on monetary cases against the U.S.
A) I and II only
B) I, II, and III only
C) II, III, and IV only
D) I, II, III, and IV
TaxesAppealing an unfavorable or unfair tax ruling may be your last chance to save your finances.
TaxesWhen you're budgeting for post-military life, certain state tax issues need to be considered.
TaxesLearn the logic behind the belief that reducing government income benefits everyone.
TaxesLearn about the difference between tax havens and tax shelters, and how both are used to reduce tax liability or avoid paying taxes altogether.
TaxesWhen you add direct and indirect taxes together, your real tax rate is much more than you expected.
TaxesAlthough many taxpayers would love to see the IRS abolished, only a handful of thinkers have come up with any sort of viable replacement plan. The Fair Tax is one such idea that has continued ...
TaxesLearn about the differences between a use tax and an Internet sales tax. Find out about transactions in which the taxes apply, and to whom they apply.
TaxesWhen it comes to taxes, it's hard to make people happy but these deductions raised more than the average amount of controversy.
InvestingHere's how to invest a large sum, such as assets from a profit-sharing plan, with a mind toward tax efficiency.
TaxesNet of tax is a figure that has been adjusted for taxes.