Investment Strategies - Review Questions 6 - 11
- With respect to market timing,
- The potential for gain is unlimited.
- It is the single greatest determinant of a portfolio's performance.
- It is possibly quite expensive.
- Some have dubbed it 'closet rebalancing' of a portfolio.
- Possible disadvantages of a buy and hold strategy include:
- It is expensive.
- It subjects the portfolio to the risk of a single asset class, inadvertently driving that portfolio's risk and return.
- Implementation is complicated.
- The strategy is dynamic.
- An investor looking to hedge downside risk and preserve gain in a long stock position whilst minimizing transaction cost would pursue which of the following strategies:
- A debit spread.
- A strap.
- A zero-cost collar.
- A short straddle.
- In a long margin account, the investor's initial margin is:
- The debit balance/.75
- None of the foregoing.
- In a rising market, a short seller's loss is limited to:
- the amount borrowed.
- the decline in price.
- none of the above.
- DRIP plans entail which of the following risks:
- transaction costs could erode returns significantly.
- the investor may not be able to identify stocks with a history of significant dividend payouts.
- the strategy is complex.
- there are tax implications.
Personal FinanceWhile there’s still potential for some “tweaking” around your Social Security retirement benefits, I’d like to share some insight on what we know now.
Chart AdvisorThere has been lots of hype around the IPO market lately. We'll take a look at whether now is the time to buy.
EntrepreneurshipLearn how a complete risk management plan can minimize or eliminate your financial exposure through insurance and prevention solutions.
Investing BasicsA diversified portfolio will protect you in a tough market. Get some solid tips here!
EntrepreneurshipThere are a lot of risks associated with running a business, but there are an equal number of ways to prepare for and manage them.
Active TradingIt's impossible to avoid disaster without trading rules - make sure you know how to devise them for yourself.
Trading StrategiesReduce position size by 50% to 75% in a flat market.
Credit & LoansIf you are seeking a personal loan, be aware of these pitfalls before you proceed.
Chart AdvisorFalling lumber prices and weakness on the charts of home builders suggest that the next leg of the trend could be downward.
ProfessionalsMale clients aren't always financially literate. Here's how advisors can meet their needs.
The excess return that investing in the stock market provides ...
The amount of risk that an insurance company retains after subtracting ...
Coverage that provides financial protection to investors, financial ...
The maximum loss from a peak to a trough of a portfolio, before ...
The absolute level of a fund's investments.
A technique used by insurance companies to calculate loss reserves.
Out of the 2,800 mutual funds that Morningstar, Inc., the leading provider of independent investment research in North America, ... Read Full Answer >>
Like all securities, mutual funds are subject to market, or systematic, risk. This is because there is no way to predict ... Read Full Answer >>
Mutual funds have become an incredibly popular option for a wide variety of investors. This is primarily due to the automatic ... Read Full Answer >>
While your auto insurance company cannot pull your full motor vehicle report, or MVR, it does pull a record summary that ... Read Full Answer >>
While the majority of financial advisors work for financial institutions such as banks, a large proportion of them are self-employed ... Read Full Answer >>
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, or FDIC, is a government-run agency that provides protection against losses if ... Read Full Answer >>