1. Which of the following are required in order to utilize the marital deduction?
(1) Spouse must be a U.S citizen.
(2) Property passing to the spouse must be included in the decedent's gross estate.
(3) Decedent must be married for at least five years.
(4) Decedent must be legally married at time of death.
(5) Spouse must file a gift tax return for the property received.
A) 1, 2, 3 only
B) 2, 4 and 5 only
C) 1, 2 and 4 only
D) All of the above
2. Which of the following are advantages of a Qualified Domestic Trust (QDOT)?
I. Taxes are paid at the death of the first spouse.
II. Taxes are delayed until the death of the surviving spouse.
III. This trust provides assets for the non-U.S. citizen spouse.
IV. Allows the non-citizen spouse to qualify for the marital deduction.
A) I and III only
B) II, III and IV only
C) I and IV only
D) II and III only
3. Which of the following is not a method of leaving assets to a spouse under the marital deduction?
A) Naming your spouse as an IRA beneficiary
B) Power of appointment
C) QTIP trust
D) Specific outright bequest
4. All of the following are exceptions to the terminal interest rule, EXCEPT:
A) QTIP income for life
B) General power of appointment
C) Property that reverts to the children if surviving spouse remarries
D) CRAT beneficiary
TaxesCheck out the perks designed to promote and preserve your post-work savings - if you're married, that is.
Financial AdvisorWhen someone dies, it's natural for a surviving spouse to grieve. But with a little planning, fear of an unknown financial future can be avoided.
RetirementYou don't automatically get your spouse's IRA, 401(k) and other accounts when he or she dies. Here's how to plan so the right survivors get the funds.
Personal FinanceJust because you are in love doesn't mean that a joint return is best for both of you.
RetirementThis is how disclaimer trusts work and when it makes sense to use them in an estate plan.
Personal FinanceA guide to determine if you're at risk that you or your surviving spouse could be evicted from your home.
Financial AdvisorWhat are the best ways to advise client couples when it comes to filing for social security? Here are some strategies.
Small BusinessOne person often deals with the finances in a relationship, but being ignorant has a cost.
Financial AdvisorBequeathing assets in tax-deferred investments can be tricky. Here are some of the pitfalls and how to avoid them.