Estate Planning For Non-Traditional Relationships - Sample Questions 1 - 3
1. Jeff and Jim have lived as a couple for over 12 years. Due to state laws, they have never had the opportunity to have a legal marriage. Jeff is a successful businessman, and wants to make sure that Jim is taken care of for life in the event of his untimely death. Which of the following property transfer options would meet his needs?
I. Tenancy by the entirety
II. Joint tenancy with rights of survivorship
III. Community property
IV. Tenancy in common with each other, no will
A) I only
B) II only
C) II and IV only
D) I and III only
2. Rebecca and Nancy have been life partners in Texas for over 20 years. Rebecca has no other survivors or family members that she desires to leave with any assets. She would like Nancy to receive her assets in the event of her death instead of the state of Texas. Which of the following recommendations would you make to Rebecca?
(1) Name Nancy as her beneficiary on her employer group life insurance policy.
(2) Make sure Rebecca drafts a will, making Nancy her property recipient.
(3) Change their accounts to tenancy by the entirety.
(4) Designate Nancy as the primary beneficiary on her IRA account.
(5) List Nancy as the recipient of the annuity in the will.
A) 1, 2 and 5 only
B) 2 and 3 only
C) 1, 2 and 4 only
D) 3, 4 and 5 only
E) All of the above
3. Larry and Shelly have been living together for five years now. They were both previously married and have children from their previous marriages. They vowed never to get married again even though they love each other very much. What documents should you recommend they consider?
I. Simple wills
II. Cohabitation agreements
III. Joint tenancy with rights of survivorship accounts
IV. Prenuptial marriage certificates
A) I and II only
B) III and IV only
C) I, II and III
D) All of the above
Options & FuturesFutures have a number of advantages over options such as fixed upfront trading costs, lack of time decay and liquidity.
Products and InvestmentsThe 10 steps outlined here are essential to the creation of a new financial product.
ProfessionalsHere's an inside look at the workdays of two experienced CPAs, to give you an idea of what it might be like to pursue a career as a public accountant.
ProfessionalsThere’s no typical day in the life of a public accountant, but one accountant’s experience may shed some light on what the career entails.
Saving and SpendingRetirees who don't want to deplete their nest eggs during a bear market should make sure to do the following.
Mutual Funds & ETFsGet a brief overview of Fidelity's seven target risk funds, with a description of each fund's asset allocation and expense ratio.
Investing NewsWarning signs have started to emerge that point to a potentially dismal 2016 for the U.S. economy.
MarketsAlgorithmic HFT has a number of risks, and it also can amplify systemic risk because of its propensity to intensify market volatility.
Mutual Funds & ETFsExplore analyses of the top three Invesco mutual funds for retirement diversification in 2016, and learn about the characteristics of these target-date funds.
Investing BasicsHedging risk is always a good idea. Here is how sophisticated investors go about it.
A modification of the Sharpe ratio that differentiates harmful ...
The excess return that investing in the stock market provides ...
The amount of risk that an insurance company retains after subtracting ...
Coverage that provides financial protection to investors, financial ...
The maximum loss from a peak to a trough of a portfolio, before ...
The absolute level of a fund's investments.
Different types of orders allow you to be more specific about how you'd like your broker to fulfill your trades. When you ... Read Full Answer >>
Secured loans are better for the borrower than unsecured loans because the loan terms are more agreeable. Often, the interest ... Read Full Answer >>
Out of the 2,800 mutual funds that Morningstar, Inc., the leading provider of independent investment research in North America, ... Read Full Answer >>
Like all securities, mutual funds are subject to market, or systematic, risk. This is because there is no way to predict ... Read Full Answer >>
Mutual funds have become an incredibly popular option for a wide variety of investors. This is primarily due to the automatic ... Read Full Answer >>
While your auto insurance company cannot pull your full motor vehicle report, or MVR, it does pull a record summary that ... Read Full Answer >>