Risk and Return Measures - Sample Questions 11 - 15
- Your client, Geoffrey Harrow, inquires about the appropriateness of a municipal bond for his portfolio. You would tell him that:
- The inclusion of a municipal bond would make little sense for a taxpayer in a high marginal tax bracket.
- Municipal bonds are typically exempt from all manner of income tax.
- A revenue bond's debt is serviced by an income generating facility and bears less risk than a general obligation bond.
- Municipal bonds contain implicit federal backing.
- Calculate the after-tax yield for an investor in the 35% marginal tax bracket. The investment yielded 17.3% with 14% coming from capital appreciation and the remaining 3.3% coming from dividends.
- Between 15% and 17.3%
- Both b & c.
- The difference between beta and alpha is:
- Beta measures systematic risk, whereas alpha measure total risk.
- Beta measures total risk, where as alpha measures excess over market risk.
- Alpha measures the incremental return that a manager adds over the benchmark, while beta measures risk in the market for a portfolio of securities.
- Beta measures market risk, whereas alpha measures excess return.
- Measures of central tendency include all of the following, EXCEPT:
- Time-weighted return.
- Dollar-weighted return.
- Standard deviation.
- Coefficient of variation.
- Semivariance may be defined as:
- A simplified version of standard deviation.
- A measure of skew.
- The average squared deviation below the mean.
- A measure of value at risk.
Fundamental AnalysisGet information on some of the leading publicly-traded companies worldwide that are major players in the transportation industry.
Mutual Funds & ETFsExplore the viability of two exchange-traded funds offering exposure to natural gas prices, including advantages, issues and an alternate investment selection.
RetirementCharles Schwab has a solid reputation for retirement services, with something for everyone from beginners to those with half a million or more in assets.
Bonds & Fixed IncomeLearn about the risks investors face by using an unconstrained bond fund. These funds are more complex and may be more expensive than other bond funds.
Mutual Funds & ETFsDiscover how mega-cap stocks have fared in 2016 and read a comparative analysis of the Guggenheim S&P 500 Top 50 ETF and the Vanguard Mega-Cap ETF.
Investing BasicsWhen managing their wealth, women choosing between a robo-advisor and a human advisor should look at how well the two options fit their investing style.
Mutual Funds & ETFsDiscover the top five mutual fund managers located in the Midwest. These leading asset management companies serve individuals and institutions.
Mutual Funds & ETFsExplore the performance of the United States Natural Gas Fund since 2012, including the influence of contango and backwardation on the fund's returns.
Mutual Funds & ETFsExplore the financial profiles of two leveraged ETFs that invest in China, and learn about what types of investors may find these funds attractive.
RetirementFinancial scams perpetrated on seniors are far too common and can be devastating. Increasingly, healthcare providers are playing a role in spotting them.
Cities are categorized as Tier I, Tier II, or Tier III depending ...
Bunny market describes a stock market that does not have an obvious ...
Davos man/Davos woman refers to the members of the World Economic ...
File and suspend is a Social Security claim strategy that allows ...
An IRS Form sent to individuals who received minimum essential ...
An IRS form sent to anybody who received health insurance coverage ...
Discover the differences between money market accounts and money market funds, including minimum balance requirements, withdrawal ... Read Answer >>
Learn about the 1003 mortgage application form, what information it requires and why this form is the industry standard for ... Read Answer >>
Learn about the basic types of money market funds and discover how they are characterized by the types of investments that ... Read Answer >>
The first step in planning for long-term goals is actually determining how much you spend on short-term expenses. Once you ... Read Answer >>
Learn what large-cap stocks are and how investors can benefit from common advantages of adding large-cap stocks to their ... Read Answer >>
There's really no pre-determined age when it suddenly becomes necessary to take out a life insurance policy. However, if ... Read Answer >>