Risk and Return Measures - Sample Questions 1 - 5
- With respect to the internal rate of return on an investment (IRR):
- It is the weighted average term to maturity of a bond's cash flows.
- It strips out the cash flow bias for an investment's return.
- It is a simple period return.
- It is a dollar weighted return which assumes reinvestment at the IRR to maturity.
- All of the following are forms of dollar weighted return, except:
- Yield to Maturity.
- Yield to Call.
- Internal Rate of Return.
- None of the foregoing.
- The current yield of Varity Corp. 9.07 of 20 is:
- 8.9% if Varity's current market value is 102
- 10.4% if Varity trades presently at 874
- a & c
- b & c
- Taxable Equivalent Yield may be defined as:
- The different between a tax-exempt yield and a taxable yield.
- The rate at which the investor would be indifferent to the tax-exempt yield.
- The yield obtained by "grossing up" the tax-exempt yield by the reciprocal of the investor's marginal tax bracket.
- Both b & c
- None of the foregoing.
- The nominal return on an investment is 11.34%. The real return is:
- The nominal return adjusted for inflation.
- 7.57% using a 3% inflation assumption.
- 7.57% using a 3.5% inflation assumption.
- Both a & c
Chart AdvisorThere has been lots of hype around the IPO market lately. We'll take a look at whether now is the time to buy.
EntrepreneurshipLearn how a complete risk management plan can minimize or eliminate your financial exposure through insurance and prevention solutions.
Investing BasicsA diversified portfolio will protect you in a tough market. Get some solid tips here!
EntrepreneurshipThere are a lot of risks associated with running a business, but there are an equal number of ways to prepare for and manage them.
Active TradingIt's impossible to avoid disaster without trading rules - make sure you know how to devise them for yourself.
Trading StrategiesReduce position size by 50% to 75% in a flat market.
Credit & LoansIf you are seeking a personal loan, be aware of these pitfalls before you proceed.
Chart AdvisorFalling lumber prices and weakness on the charts of home builders suggest that the next leg of the trend could be downward.
ProfessionalsMale clients aren't always financially literate. Here's how advisors can meet their needs.
Investing BasicsSimply put, investing requires a degree of risk, and the bigger that risk, the higher the gain should be.
The excess return that investing in the stock market provides ...
The amount of risk that an insurance company retains after subtracting ...
Coverage that provides financial protection to investors, financial ...
The maximum loss from a peak to a trough of a portfolio, before ...
The absolute level of a fund's investments.
A technique used by insurance companies to calculate loss reserves.
Out of the 2,800 mutual funds that Morningstar, Inc., the leading provider of independent investment research in North America, ... Read Full Answer >>
Like all securities, mutual funds are subject to market, or systematic, risk. This is because there is no way to predict ... Read Full Answer >>
Mutual funds have become an incredibly popular option for a wide variety of investors. This is primarily due to the automatic ... Read Full Answer >>
While your auto insurance company cannot pull your full motor vehicle report, or MVR, it does pull a record summary that ... Read Full Answer >>
While the majority of financial advisors work for financial institutions such as banks, a large proportion of them are self-employed ... Read Full Answer >>
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, or FDIC, is a government-run agency that provides protection against losses if ... Read Full Answer >>