Tax Accounting - Sample Questions 1 - 5
1. Which of the following can use "cash method" accounting?
(1) Certain farming businesses
(3) Corporations with prior years gross annual receipts not exceeding $5 million per year and no income producing merchandise for sale
(4) An art gallery with extensive inventories
(5) Partnership with a C Corp partner that produces and sells merchandise as an income-producing factor and gross receipts in excess of $10 million last year
A) 1, 2, and 3 only
B) 1, 3, and 4 only
C) 2, 3, and 5 only
D) 4 and 5 only
2. All of the following are true statements EXCEPT?
A) Changing from cash to accrual accounting is acceptable practice
B) Hybrid accounting is a combination of both cash and accrual
C) An accounting period of Oct. 1 to Sept. 30 is known as fiscal year
D) Constructive receipt income can be carried forward into the next year
3. Johnson Plumbing Supply Company is using LIFO inventory system during an inflationary period. If the company changes over to FIFO method, which of the following will be TRUE?
A) Net business income will be reduced
B) Tax liability will be higher
C) Most recently added inventory will be moved out first
D) Tax liability will be lower
4. All of the following statements concerning Net Operating Losses (NOL) are correct EXCEPT:
A) There's a 20-year carry forward for NOL not used
B) There's a three-year carry back on casualty losses
C) There's a seven-year carry back on farming losses
D) Most NOL items have a two-year carry back
5. A long-term contract was entered into between the State of Florida and Tower Builders Company (a large national builder with gross annual receipts in excess of $50 million each year) to complete a bridge project. If they elect to use percentage-of completion method, which of the following are TRUE?
(1) Tower Builders can use the completed contract method if they choose
(2) Most long-term contracts are percentage-of-completion
(3) Long-term contracts can be completed in the same year if requested
(4) Completed Contract method allows the business to realize all revenue in year one
(5) The formula currently used is Contract Price Reportable = Total Contract Price x [Period Cost/Total Est. Cost]
A) 1 and 2 only
B) 2 and 5 only
C) 3, 4, and 5 only
D) 3 and 5 only
E) 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5
Options & FuturesFutures have a number of advantages over options such as fixed upfront trading costs, lack of time decay and liquidity.
Products and InvestmentsThe 10 steps outlined here are essential to the creation of a new financial product.
ProfessionalsHere's an inside look at the workdays of two experienced CPAs, to give you an idea of what it might be like to pursue a career as a public accountant.
ProfessionalsThere’s no typical day in the life of a public accountant, but one accountant’s experience may shed some light on what the career entails.
Saving and SpendingRetirees who don't want to deplete their nest eggs during a bear market should make sure to do the following.
Mutual Funds & ETFsGet a brief overview of Fidelity's seven target risk funds, with a description of each fund's asset allocation and expense ratio.
Investing NewsWarning signs have started to emerge that point to a potentially dismal 2016 for the U.S. economy.
MarketsAlgorithmic HFT has a number of risks, and it also can amplify systemic risk because of its propensity to intensify market volatility.
Mutual Funds & ETFsExplore analyses of the top three Invesco mutual funds for retirement diversification in 2016, and learn about the characteristics of these target-date funds.
Investing BasicsHedging risk is always a good idea. Here is how sophisticated investors go about it.
A modification of the Sharpe ratio that differentiates harmful ...
The excess return that investing in the stock market provides ...
The amount of risk that an insurance company retains after subtracting ...
Coverage that provides financial protection to investors, financial ...
The maximum loss from a peak to a trough of a portfolio, before ...
The absolute level of a fund's investments.
Different types of orders allow you to be more specific about how you'd like your broker to fulfill your trades. When you ... Read Full Answer >>
Secured loans are better for the borrower than unsecured loans because the loan terms are more agreeable. Often, the interest ... Read Full Answer >>
Out of the 2,800 mutual funds that Morningstar, Inc., the leading provider of independent investment research in North America, ... Read Full Answer >>
Like all securities, mutual funds are subject to market, or systematic, risk. This is because there is no way to predict ... Read Full Answer >>
Mutual funds have become an incredibly popular option for a wide variety of investors. This is primarily due to the automatic ... Read Full Answer >>
While your auto insurance company cannot pull your full motor vehicle report, or MVR, it does pull a record summary that ... Read Full Answer >>