Tax Accounting - Sample Questions 1 - 5
1. Which of the following can use "cash method" accounting?
(1) Certain farming businesses
(3) Corporations with prior years gross annual receipts not exceeding $5 million per year and no income producing merchandise for sale
(4) An art gallery with extensive inventories
(5) Partnership with a C Corp partner that produces and sells merchandise as an income-producing factor and gross receipts in excess of $10 million last year
A) 1, 2, and 3 only
B) 1, 3, and 4 only
C) 2, 3, and 5 only
D) 4 and 5 only
2. All of the following are true statements EXCEPT?
A) Changing from cash to accrual accounting is acceptable practice
B) Hybrid accounting is a combination of both cash and accrual
C) An accounting period of Oct. 1 to Sept. 30 is known as fiscal year
D) Constructive receipt income can be carried forward into the next year
3. Johnson Plumbing Supply Company is using LIFO inventory system during an inflationary period. If the company changes over to FIFO method, which of the following will be TRUE?
A) Net business income will be reduced
B) Tax liability will be higher
C) Most recently added inventory will be moved out first
D) Tax liability will be lower
4. All of the following statements concerning Net Operating Losses (NOL) are correct EXCEPT:
A) There's a 20-year carry forward for NOL not used
B) There's a three-year carry back on casualty losses
C) There's a seven-year carry back on farming losses
D) Most NOL items have a two-year carry back
5. A long-term contract was entered into between the State of Florida and Tower Builders Company (a large national builder with gross annual receipts in excess of $50 million each year) to complete a bridge project. If they elect to use percentage-of completion method, which of the following are TRUE?
(1) Tower Builders can use the completed contract method if they choose
(2) Most long-term contracts are percentage-of-completion
(3) Long-term contracts can be completed in the same year if requested
(4) Completed Contract method allows the business to realize all revenue in year one
(5) The formula currently used is Contract Price Reportable = Total Contract Price x [Period Cost/Total Est. Cost]
A) 1 and 2 only
B) 2 and 5 only
C) 3, 4, and 5 only
D) 3 and 5 only
E) 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5
InvestingWhile stocks have rallied since the economic recovery in 2009, many active portfolio managers have struggled to deliver investor returns in excess.
RetirementWe discuss the advantages of seeking professional help when it comes to managing our retirement account.
Personal FinanceWhile there’s still potential for some “tweaking” around your Social Security retirement benefits, I’d like to share some insight on what we know now.
Chart AdvisorThere has been lots of hype around the IPO market lately. We'll take a look at whether now is the time to buy.
EntrepreneurshipLearn how a complete risk management plan can minimize or eliminate your financial exposure through insurance and prevention solutions.
Investing BasicsA diversified portfolio will protect you in a tough market. Get some solid tips here!
EntrepreneurshipThere are a lot of risks associated with running a business, but there are an equal number of ways to prepare for and manage them.
Active TradingIt's impossible to avoid disaster without trading rules - make sure you know how to devise them for yourself.
Trading StrategiesReduce position size by 50% to 75% in a flat market.
Credit & LoansIf you are seeking a personal loan, be aware of these pitfalls before you proceed.
The excess return that investing in the stock market provides ...
The amount of risk that an insurance company retains after subtracting ...
Coverage that provides financial protection to investors, financial ...
The maximum loss from a peak to a trough of a portfolio, before ...
The absolute level of a fund's investments.
A technique used by insurance companies to calculate loss reserves.
Secured loans are better for the borrower than unsecured loans because the loan terms are more agreeable. Often, the interest ... Read Full Answer >>
Out of the 2,800 mutual funds that Morningstar, Inc., the leading provider of independent investment research in North America, ... Read Full Answer >>
Like all securities, mutual funds are subject to market, or systematic, risk. This is because there is no way to predict ... Read Full Answer >>
Mutual funds have become an incredibly popular option for a wide variety of investors. This is primarily due to the automatic ... Read Full Answer >>
While your auto insurance company cannot pull your full motor vehicle report, or MVR, it does pull a record summary that ... Read Full Answer >>
While the majority of financial advisors work for financial institutions such as banks, a large proportion of them are self-employed ... Read Full Answer >>