Tax Implications of Special Circumstances - Sample Questions 1 - 6
1. Which of the following would qualify as alimony payments to an ex-spouse if directed by the divorce decree?
I. Payment of the rent for the ex-spouse.
II. Payment of life insurance premiums on a policy owned by the ex-spouse, but on the life of the payer.
III. Payment of SUV payments for a truck owned by the payer, but being used by the ex-spouse.
IV. Payment of mortgage payments for a house owned by the payer, where the ex-spouse is living in the home.
A) I only
B) I and II only
C) I, II and III
D) I, II, III and IV
2. Which of the following is a TRUE statement?
A) Child support received is taxable to the recipient.
B) Separated parents can file a joint return and claim the alimony deduction.
C) Child support payments are non-deductible.
D) Alimony is non-taxable to the recipient.
3. A divorce and separation agreement instructs Tammy to give her ex-husband (Jim) $200,000 worth of stock with a cost basis of $70,000. All of the following statements are false EXCEPT:
A) Jim will have a cost basis of $200,000 in the stock.
B) Tammy can deduct 50% or $100,000 as a loss on her tax return.
C) If Jim sells the stock in six months for $220,000, he will have a $150,000 gain.
D) If Jim sells the stock immediately and gets $200,000, he will have no gain.
4. Gus and Ingrid are getting a divorce, and they agreed amicably to split the IRA and 401(k) plan belonging to Gus in a 50/50 split arrangement. The proper court issued document to notify the plan administrator and IRA custodian of this ruling is which of the following:
A) Divorce decree
B) Order to distribute assets
C) Form 1099-R
D) Qualified Domestic Relations Order
5. All of the following are "Community Property" states EXCEPT:
6. Ronald and Rose (husband and wife), owned a jointly titled home together in a common law state. They paid $80,000 for the home, and made $10,000 in capital improvements over the years. Ronald dies and Rose is now left with maintaining the home. The FMV of the home at Ronald's death was $400,000. What is Rose's new adjusted cost basis in the home?
What would be the answer if they lived in California (a community property state)?
Mutual Funds & ETFsFind out about the PowerShares DB Commodity Tracking ETF, and explore a detailed analysis of the fund that tracks 14 distinct commodities using futures contracts.
Mutual Funds & ETFsFind out about the PowerShares FTSE RAFI U.S. 1000 ETF, and explore detailed analysis of the fund that invests in undervalued stocks.
Options & FuturesUsing iron ore options is a way to take advantage of a current downslide in iron ore prices, whether for producers or traders.
Mutual Funds & ETFsFind out about the Vanguard Small-Cap Value ETF, and explore detailed analysis of its characteristics, suitability, recommendations and historical statistics.
Mutual Funds & ETFsLearn about the Vanguard Intermediate-Term Corporate Bond ETF, and explore detailed analysis of the fund's characteristics, risks and historical statistics.
Mutual Funds & ETFsExplore detailed analysis and information of the top three Swiss exchange-traded funds that offer exposure to the Swiss equities market.
SavingsWomen's risk aversion, penchant for research – and lack of male-style "irrational exuberance" – means their investing strategies often put them ahead.
Investing BasicsRisk-adjusted return is a measurement of risk for an investment or portfolio.
Investing BasicsBuying below the margin of safety minimizes the risk to the investor.
Mutual Funds & ETFsFind out about the PowerShares S&P 500 Downside Hedged ETF, and learn detailed information about characteristics, suitability and recommendations of it.
The amount of risk that an insurance company retains after subtracting ...
Coverage that provides financial protection to investors, financial ...
The maximum loss from a peak to a trough of a portfolio, before ...
The absolute level of a fund's investments.
A technique used by insurance companies to calculate loss reserves.
The financial benefit that a risk-taking activity will bring ...
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, or FDIC, is a government-run agency that provides protection against losses if ... Read Full Answer >>
The rise of index trading may increase the overall vulnerability of the stock market due to increased correlations between ... Read Full Answer >>
The term delta refers to the change in price of an underlying stock or exchange-traded fund (ETF) as compared to the corresponding ... Read Full Answer >>
An investor who is overweight in a particular sector risks a loss in value for the portfolio if there is a downturn in that ... Read Full Answer >>
The retail sector consists of companies operating in multiple industries such as specialty retail, general retail, food and ... Read Full Answer >>
Like all equity investments, insurance companies present investors with market risk. Insurance companies, like banks, also ... Read Full Answer >>