Tax Implications of Special Circumstances - Sample Questions 1 - 6
1. Which of the following would qualify as alimony payments to an ex-spouse if directed by the divorce decree?
I. Payment of the rent for the ex-spouse.
II. Payment of life insurance premiums on a policy owned by the ex-spouse, but on the life of the payer.
III. Payment of SUV payments for a truck owned by the payer, but being used by the ex-spouse.
IV. Payment of mortgage payments for a house owned by the payer, where the ex-spouse is living in the home.
A) I only
B) I and II only
C) I, II and III
D) I, II, III and IV
2. Which of the following is a TRUE statement?
A) Child support received is taxable to the recipient.
B) Separated parents can file a joint return and claim the alimony deduction.
C) Child support payments are non-deductible.
D) Alimony is non-taxable to the recipient.
3. A divorce and separation agreement instructs Tammy to give her ex-husband (Jim) $200,000 worth of stock with a cost basis of $70,000. All of the following statements are false EXCEPT:
A) Jim will have a cost basis of $200,000 in the stock.
B) Tammy can deduct 50% or $100,000 as a loss on her tax return.
C) If Jim sells the stock in six months for $220,000, he will have a $150,000 gain.
D) If Jim sells the stock immediately and gets $200,000, he will have no gain.
4. Gus and Ingrid are getting a divorce, and they agreed amicably to split the IRA and 401(k) plan belonging to Gus in a 50/50 split arrangement. The proper court issued document to notify the plan administrator and IRA custodian of this ruling is which of the following:
A) Divorce decree
B) Order to distribute assets
C) Form 1099-R
D) Qualified Domestic Relations Order
5. All of the following are "Community Property" states EXCEPT:
6. Ronald and Rose (husband and wife), owned a jointly titled home together in a common law state. They paid $80,000 for the home, and made $10,000 in capital improvements over the years. Ronald dies and Rose is now left with maintaining the home. The FMV of the home at Ronald's death was $400,000. What is Rose's new adjusted cost basis in the home?
What would be the answer if they lived in California (a community property state)?
Options & FuturesFutures have a number of advantages over options such as fixed upfront trading costs, lack of time decay and liquidity.
Products and InvestmentsThe 10 steps outlined here are essential to the creation of a new financial product.
ProfessionalsHere's an inside look at the workdays of two experienced CPAs, to give you an idea of what it might be like to pursue a career as a public accountant.
ProfessionalsThere’s no typical day in the life of a public accountant, but one accountant’s experience may shed some light on what the career entails.
Saving and SpendingRetirees who don't want to deplete their nest eggs during a bear market should make sure to do the following.
Mutual Funds & ETFsGet a brief overview of Fidelity's seven target risk funds, with a description of each fund's asset allocation and expense ratio.
Investing NewsWarning signs have started to emerge that point to a potentially dismal 2016 for the U.S. economy.
MarketsAlgorithmic HFT has a number of risks, and it also can amplify systemic risk because of its propensity to intensify market volatility.
Mutual Funds & ETFsExplore analyses of the top three Invesco mutual funds for retirement diversification in 2016, and learn about the characteristics of these target-date funds.
Investing BasicsHedging risk is always a good idea. Here is how sophisticated investors go about it.
A modification of the Sharpe ratio that differentiates harmful ...
The excess return that investing in the stock market provides ...
The amount of risk that an insurance company retains after subtracting ...
Coverage that provides financial protection to investors, financial ...
The maximum loss from a peak to a trough of a portfolio, before ...
The absolute level of a fund's investments.
Different types of orders allow you to be more specific about how you'd like your broker to fulfill your trades. When you ... Read Full Answer >>
Secured loans are better for the borrower than unsecured loans because the loan terms are more agreeable. Often, the interest ... Read Full Answer >>
Out of the 2,800 mutual funds that Morningstar, Inc., the leading provider of independent investment research in North America, ... Read Full Answer >>
Like all securities, mutual funds are subject to market, or systematic, risk. This is because there is no way to predict ... Read Full Answer >>
Mutual funds have become an incredibly popular option for a wide variety of investors. This is primarily due to the automatic ... Read Full Answer >>
While your auto insurance company cannot pull your full motor vehicle report, or MVR, it does pull a record summary that ... Read Full Answer >>