Tax Implications of Special Circumstances - Sample Questions 1 - 6
1. Which of the following would qualify as alimony payments to an ex-spouse if directed by the divorce decree?
I. Payment of the rent for the ex-spouse.
II. Payment of life insurance premiums on a policy owned by the ex-spouse, but on the life of the payer.
III. Payment of SUV payments for a truck owned by the payer, but being used by the ex-spouse.
IV. Payment of mortgage payments for a house owned by the payer, where the ex-spouse is living in the home.
A) I only
B) I and II only
C) I, II and III
D) I, II, III and IV
2. Which of the following is a TRUE statement?
A) Child support received is taxable to the recipient.
B) Separated parents can file a joint return and claim the alimony deduction.
C) Child support payments are non-deductible.
D) Alimony is non-taxable to the recipient.
3. A divorce and separation agreement instructs Tammy to give her ex-husband (Jim) $200,000 worth of stock with a cost basis of $70,000. All of the following statements are false EXCEPT:
A) Jim will have a cost basis of $200,000 in the stock.
B) Tammy can deduct 50% or $100,000 as a loss on her tax return.
C) If Jim sells the stock in six months for $220,000, he will have a $150,000 gain.
D) If Jim sells the stock immediately and gets $200,000, he will have no gain.
4. Gus and Ingrid are getting a divorce, and they agreed amicably to split the IRA and 401(k) plan belonging to Gus in a 50/50 split arrangement. The proper court issued document to notify the plan administrator and IRA custodian of this ruling is which of the following:
A) Divorce decree
B) Order to distribute assets
C) Form 1099-R
D) Qualified Domestic Relations Order
5. All of the following are "Community Property" states EXCEPT:
6. Ronald and Rose (husband and wife), owned a jointly titled home together in a common law state. They paid $80,000 for the home, and made $10,000 in capital improvements over the years. Ronald dies and Rose is now left with maintaining the home. The FMV of the home at Ronald's death was $400,000. What is Rose's new adjusted cost basis in the home?
What would be the answer if they lived in California (a community property state)?
RetirementWe discuss the advantages of seeking professional help when it comes to managing our retirement account.
Personal FinanceWhile there’s still potential for some “tweaking” around your Social Security retirement benefits, I’d like to share some insight on what we know now.
Chart AdvisorThere has been lots of hype around the IPO market lately. We'll take a look at whether now is the time to buy.
EntrepreneurshipLearn how a complete risk management plan can minimize or eliminate your financial exposure through insurance and prevention solutions.
Investing BasicsA diversified portfolio will protect you in a tough market. Get some solid tips here!
EntrepreneurshipThere are a lot of risks associated with running a business, but there are an equal number of ways to prepare for and manage them.
Active TradingIt's impossible to avoid disaster without trading rules - make sure you know how to devise them for yourself.
Trading StrategiesReduce position size by 50% to 75% in a flat market.
Credit & LoansIf you are seeking a personal loan, be aware of these pitfalls before you proceed.
Chart AdvisorFalling lumber prices and weakness on the charts of home builders suggest that the next leg of the trend could be downward.
The excess return that investing in the stock market provides ...
The amount of risk that an insurance company retains after subtracting ...
Coverage that provides financial protection to investors, financial ...
The maximum loss from a peak to a trough of a portfolio, before ...
The absolute level of a fund's investments.
A technique used by insurance companies to calculate loss reserves.
Secured loans are better for the borrower than unsecured loans because the loan terms are more agreeable. Often, the interest ... Read Full Answer >>
Out of the 2,800 mutual funds that Morningstar, Inc., the leading provider of independent investment research in North America, ... Read Full Answer >>
Like all securities, mutual funds are subject to market, or systematic, risk. This is because there is no way to predict ... Read Full Answer >>
Mutual funds have become an incredibly popular option for a wide variety of investors. This is primarily due to the automatic ... Read Full Answer >>
While your auto insurance company cannot pull your full motor vehicle report, or MVR, it does pull a record summary that ... Read Full Answer >>
While the majority of financial advisors work for financial institutions such as banks, a large proportion of them are self-employed ... Read Full Answer >>