In many instances it is beneficial to a business or corporation to help an employee purchase life insurance. The policy can be used as an incentive or as a form of deferred compensation. A split-dollar life insurance policy can be beneficial to both the employer and the employee.
It is an arrangement between two parties, usually an employer and employee in which they share and split the policy. The policy can be shared and split in several ways...
- Cash values
- Death Benefits
A spit-dollar arrangement can benefit both interested parties. Overall the advantages of the arrangement to the employer are...
- The employer can provide low cost benefits to it's employees
- The portion of the premiums paid by the employer for the benefit of the employee can be deducted for tax purposes by the employer
- The employer will receive the total of all premiums paid on behalf of the employee upon the employee's death
- The plan can be designed so that the employer retains complete flexibility. In other words, the employer can modify or terminate the arrangement at their option.
- The arrangement can be used as an incentive to the employee
The advantages to the employee are...
- Able to obtain life insurance cheaper. In other words, splitting the cost of the premiums allows employees to obtain better coverage at less cost.
- The employee can protect his/her family in the event of their untimely death
- When an employer pays the premiums the employee may be able to reduce their income tax liability (if the employee is in a higher tax bracket).
- Can provide for estate liquidity in the event of the employees death
Structure and Taxation of Split-Dollar Coverage
Financial AdvisorHow to use and design cash value life insurance plans as an incentive to help attract and retain key employees.
Financial AdvisorCompanies can buy life insurance on their employees and collect the benefit proceeds. Find out why companies want to benefit from the death of their employees.
InsuranceFind out why 98% of employees are missing out on some great benefits.
InsuranceSHOP is a health care insurance resource available for for-profit and nonprofit small business owners that has a straightforward sign-up process.
Managing WealthCompanies are becoming increasingly creative with their benefits packages, in order to attract younger employees.
InsuranceChoosing employee benefits involves weighing the probability you will need them against taxes and cost.
RetirementHere's how small businesses can benefit from offering a SIMPLE IRA to their employees.
Financial AdvisorWhile this strategy does have a few advantages, it can also pose some substantial risks to employees.
Managing WealthFirms that treat their employees well have a competitive advantage over their rivals. Here are three important perks to give your employees.
InsuranceIt's no illusion that health insurance is getting more expensive, and employer healthcare costs that are passed on to employees are about to go up again.