In many instances it is beneficial to a business or corporation to help an employee purchase life insurance. The policy can be used as an incentive or as a form of deferred compensation. A split-dollar life insurance policy can be beneficial to both the employer and the employee.
It is an arrangement between two parties, usually an employer and employee in which they share and split the policy. The policy can be shared and split in several ways...
- Cash values
- Death Benefits
A spit-dollar arrangement can benefit both interested parties. Overall the advantages of the arrangement to the employer are...
- The employer can provide low cost benefits to it's employees
- The portion of the premiums paid by the employer for the benefit of the employee can be deducted for tax purposes by the employer
- The employer will receive the total of all premiums paid on behalf of the employee upon the employee's death
- The plan can be designed so that the employer retains complete flexibility. In other words, the employer can modify or terminate the arrangement at their option.
- The arrangement can be used as an incentive to the employee
The advantages to the employee are...
- Able to obtain life insurance cheaper. In other words, splitting the cost of the premiums allows employees to obtain better coverage at less cost.
- The employee can protect his/her family in the event of their untimely death
- When an employer pays the premiums the employee may be able to reduce their income tax liability (if the employee is in a higher tax bracket).
- Can provide for estate liquidity in the event of the employees death
Structure and Taxation of Split-Dollar Coverage
Financial AdvisorHow to use and design cash value life insurance plans as an incentive to help attract and retain key employees.
InsuranceUnderstanding how split dollar life insurance plans are designed and what tax regulations they must follow.
Financial AdvisorCompanies can buy life insurance on their employees and collect the benefit proceeds. Find out why companies want to benefit from the death of their employees.
RetirementUnderstand how a private split-dollar life insurance plan can help leverage gifts and reduce estate taxes.
Personal FinanceHave you ever wondered how much you're worth to your boss? Here's a method for calculating that value.
RetirementLearn about the benefits that a business must offer to employees, such as family and medical leave, as well as various forms of insurance coverage.
InsuranceFind out why 98% of employees are missing out on some great benefits.
InsuranceSkilled employees are key to a successful business. Find out how to avoid a financial setback if they leave.
InsuranceThis type of insurance is a policy taken out on you by your company. Read on to find what it's all about.
InsuranceSHOP is a health care insurance resource available for for-profit and nonprofit small business owners that has a straightforward sign-up process.