Taxation and Business Uses of Insurance - Split-Dollar Life Insurance
In many instances it is beneficial to a business or corporation to help an employee purchase life insurance. The policy can be used as an incentive or as a form of deferred compensation. A split-dollar life insurance policy can be beneficial to both the employer and the employee.
It is an arrangement between two parties, usually an employer and employee in which they share and split the policy. The policy can be shared and split in several ways...
- Cash values
- Death Benefits
A spit-dollar arrangement can benefit both interested parties. Overall the advantages of the arrangement to the employer are...
- The employer can provide low cost benefits to it's employees
- The portion of the premiums paid by the employer for the benefit of the employee can be deducted for tax purposes by the employer
- The employer will receive the total of all premiums paid on behalf of the employee upon the employee's death
- The plan can be designed so that the employer retains complete flexibility. In other words, the employer can modify or terminate the arrangement at their option.
- The arrangement can be used as an incentive to the employee
The advantages to the employee are...
- Able to obtain life insurance cheaper. In other words, splitting the cost of the premiums allows employees to obtain better coverage at less cost.
- The employee can protect his/her family in the event of their untimely death
- When an employer pays the premiums the employee may be able to reduce their income tax liability (if the employee is in a higher tax bracket).
- Can provide for estate liquidity in the event of the employees death
The amount of risk that an insurance company retains after subtracting ...
Coverage that provides financial protection to investors, financial ...
The maximum loss from a peak to a trough of a portfolio, before ...
The absolute level of a fund's investments.
A technique used by insurance companies to calculate loss reserves.
The financial benefit that a risk-taking activity will bring ...
Learn how the rise in popularity of passive ETFs and mutual funds tracking indexes has increased the correlation among stocks, ...
Learn about common delta hedging strategies, including how to make a position in options delta neutral by offsetting risk ...
Learn about the risks of having a portfolio that is overweight in a particular sector and how investors should regularly ...
Learn about the primary risks of investing in the retail sector, such as bad economic conditions, regulation, competition ...