Income Taxation Of Trusts And Estates - Sample Questions 1 - 5
1. All of the following are characteristics or true statements pertaining to an "inter-vivos " revocable trust EXCEPT:
A) The trust can be modified at any time while the grantor is alive.
B) The grantor can claim all income from the trust on their individual Form 1040.
C) This is a good trust for probate avoidance.
D) This is a good trust for asset protection.
2. Which of the following are characteristics of a Simple Trust?
(1) Corpus can be distributed to the beneficiary.
(2) Beneficiaries can be charitable.
(3) Capital gains are considered as part of the corpus.
(4) Income is taxable to the recipient even if left in the trust to accumulate.
(5) Trust is given a deduction for income paid out to a beneficiary.
A) 1, 2 and 3 only
B) 2, 3 and 4 only
C) 3 and 4 only
D) 3, 4 and 5 only
3. All of the following are TRUE statements concerning Trust and Estate Taxation EXCEPT:
A) The maximum estate tax rate is 45%.
B) Trust income above $11,950 is taxed at 39.6%.
C) Trusts must file Form 1041 in years where the trust income is $600 or more.
D) The estate tax exclusion amount is $5,250,000 in 2013.
4. Lester (divorced, age 75), has a traditional IRA with a local bank account worth $500,000. In September of this year, he died and named his daughter Jennifer as the beneficiary of his IRA. Before Jennifer had a chance to convert the IRA into an Inherited IRA, it automatically paid out Lester's required minimum distribution for the year. This check would be best described as:
A) Return of principal
B) Tax free earnings paid to a beneficiary
C) Income in respect of a decedent
D) Section 179 income inadvertently paid to a survivor
5. All of the following are good reasons to establish an Irrevocable Trust EXCEPT:
A) Ownership of Life Insurance
B) Maintain control of assets
C) Asset protection
D) Charitable gift planning
Options & FuturesFutures have a number of advantages over options such as fixed upfront trading costs, lack of time decay and liquidity.
Products and InvestmentsThe 10 steps outlined here are essential to the creation of a new financial product.
ProfessionalsHere's an inside look at the workdays of two experienced CPAs, to give you an idea of what it might be like to pursue a career as a public accountant.
ProfessionalsThere’s no typical day in the life of a public accountant, but one accountant’s experience may shed some light on what the career entails.
Saving and SpendingRetirees who don't want to deplete their nest eggs during a bear market should make sure to do the following.
Mutual Funds & ETFsGet a brief overview of Fidelity's seven target risk funds, with a description of each fund's asset allocation and expense ratio.
Investing NewsWarning signs have started to emerge that point to a potentially dismal 2016 for the U.S. economy.
MarketsAlgorithmic HFT has a number of risks, and it also can amplify systemic risk because of its propensity to intensify market volatility.
Mutual Funds & ETFsExplore analyses of the top three Invesco mutual funds for retirement diversification in 2016, and learn about the characteristics of these target-date funds.
Investing BasicsHedging risk is always a good idea. Here is how sophisticated investors go about it.
A modification of the Sharpe ratio that differentiates harmful ...
The excess return that investing in the stock market provides ...
The amount of risk that an insurance company retains after subtracting ...
Coverage that provides financial protection to investors, financial ...
The maximum loss from a peak to a trough of a portfolio, before ...
The absolute level of a fund's investments.
Different types of orders allow you to be more specific about how you'd like your broker to fulfill your trades. When you ... Read Full Answer >>
Secured loans are better for the borrower than unsecured loans because the loan terms are more agreeable. Often, the interest ... Read Full Answer >>
Out of the 2,800 mutual funds that Morningstar, Inc., the leading provider of independent investment research in North America, ... Read Full Answer >>
Like all securities, mutual funds are subject to market, or systematic, risk. This is because there is no way to predict ... Read Full Answer >>
Mutual funds have become an incredibly popular option for a wide variety of investors. This is primarily due to the automatic ... Read Full Answer >>
While your auto insurance company cannot pull your full motor vehicle report, or MVR, it does pull a record summary that ... Read Full Answer >>