Income Taxation Of Trusts And Estates - Sample Questions 1 - 5
1. All of the following are characteristics or true statements pertaining to an "inter-vivos " revocable trust EXCEPT:
A) The trust can be modified at any time while the grantor is alive.
B) The grantor can claim all income from the trust on their individual Form 1040.
C) This is a good trust for probate avoidance.
D) This is a good trust for asset protection.
2. Which of the following are characteristics of a Simple Trust?
(1) Corpus can be distributed to the beneficiary.
(2) Beneficiaries can be charitable.
(3) Capital gains are considered as part of the corpus.
(4) Income is taxable to the recipient even if left in the trust to accumulate.
(5) Trust is given a deduction for income paid out to a beneficiary.
A) 1, 2 and 3 only
B) 2, 3 and 4 only
C) 3 and 4 only
D) 3, 4 and 5 only
3. All of the following are TRUE statements concerning Trust and Estate Taxation EXCEPT:
A) The maximum estate tax rate is 45%.
B) Trust income above $11,950 is taxed at 39.6%.
C) Trusts must file Form 1041 in years where the trust income is $600 or more.
D) The estate tax exclusion amount is $5,250,000 in 2013.
4. Lester (divorced, age 75), has a traditional IRA with a local bank account worth $500,000. In September of this year, he died and named his daughter Jennifer as the beneficiary of his IRA. Before Jennifer had a chance to convert the IRA into an Inherited IRA, it automatically paid out Lester's required minimum distribution for the year. This check would be best described as:
A) Return of principal
B) Tax free earnings paid to a beneficiary
C) Income in respect of a decedent
D) Section 179 income inadvertently paid to a survivor
5. All of the following are good reasons to establish an Irrevocable Trust EXCEPT:
A) Ownership of Life Insurance
B) Maintain control of assets
C) Asset protection
D) Charitable gift planning
RetirementWe discuss the advantages of seeking professional help when it comes to managing our retirement account.
Personal FinanceWhile there’s still potential for some “tweaking” around your Social Security retirement benefits, I’d like to share some insight on what we know now.
Chart AdvisorThere has been lots of hype around the IPO market lately. We'll take a look at whether now is the time to buy.
EntrepreneurshipLearn how a complete risk management plan can minimize or eliminate your financial exposure through insurance and prevention solutions.
Investing BasicsA diversified portfolio will protect you in a tough market. Get some solid tips here!
EntrepreneurshipThere are a lot of risks associated with running a business, but there are an equal number of ways to prepare for and manage them.
Active TradingIt's impossible to avoid disaster without trading rules - make sure you know how to devise them for yourself.
Trading StrategiesReduce position size by 50% to 75% in a flat market.
Credit & LoansIf you are seeking a personal loan, be aware of these pitfalls before you proceed.
Chart AdvisorFalling lumber prices and weakness on the charts of home builders suggest that the next leg of the trend could be downward.
The excess return that investing in the stock market provides ...
The amount of risk that an insurance company retains after subtracting ...
Coverage that provides financial protection to investors, financial ...
The maximum loss from a peak to a trough of a portfolio, before ...
The absolute level of a fund's investments.
A technique used by insurance companies to calculate loss reserves.
Secured loans are better for the borrower than unsecured loans because the loan terms are more agreeable. Often, the interest ... Read Full Answer >>
Out of the 2,800 mutual funds that Morningstar, Inc., the leading provider of independent investment research in North America, ... Read Full Answer >>
Like all securities, mutual funds are subject to market, or systematic, risk. This is because there is no way to predict ... Read Full Answer >>
Mutual funds have become an incredibly popular option for a wide variety of investors. This is primarily due to the automatic ... Read Full Answer >>
While your auto insurance company cannot pull your full motor vehicle report, or MVR, it does pull a record summary that ... Read Full Answer >>
While the majority of financial advisors work for financial institutions such as banks, a large proportion of them are self-employed ... Read Full Answer >>