- Activity Ratios - a metric of how well a company is able to convert inventory and receivables into cash.
- Inventory Turnover Ratio: annual sales/average inventory. A high number is a positive indicator of a company's success at turning its inventory into cash.
- Average Collection Period: receivables/sales per day. A high number is a positive indicator of a company's success at turning its accounts receivable into cash.
- Fixed Asset Turnover: annual sales/fixed assets. This ratio indicates the sales per dollar investment of fixed assets (property, plant and equipment).
- Profitability Ratios - there are several which provide different perspectives on a firm's earnings capacity.
- Operating Profit Margin: earnings before interest and taxes/sales.
- Net Profit Margin: earnings after taxes/sales.
- Return on Assets: earnings after taxes/total assets.
- Return on Equity (ROE): earnings after tax/equity.
- Payout Ratio: dividends/earnings. Indicates how much of earnings are paid out. The reciprocal of the ratio indicates retained earnings, e.g. those that the company chooses to plow back into its business rather than pay out to shareholders.
- Debt Ratios - measure the degree of a company's indebtedness, as well as its ability to service such debt.
InvestingMake informed decisions about your investments with these easy equations.
InvestingRatio analysis is the use of quantitative analysis of financial information in a company’s financial statements. The analysis is done by comparing line items in a company’s financial ...
InvestingUsing the following liquidity, profitability and debt ratios, an investor can gather deeper knowledge of a retail company's short-term and long-term outlook.
InvestingLearn why this ratio may be a good alternative to the current, cash and quick ratios.
InvestingUnderstanding financial ratios can help investors pick strong stocks and build wealth. Here are five to know.
InvestingThere are four categories of financial ratios: profitability, liquidity, solvency and valuation.
InvestingThere are many types of efficiency ratios, but all measure how well a company utilizes its resources to make a profit. Business managers use these ratios to determine how well they are operating ...
InvestingThe market has been slipping so far today. The Nasdaq has fallen 0.3%; the S&P 500 has fallen 0.4%; and the Dow has declined 0.5%. The Services sector (IYC) is currently lagging behind the overall ...
InvestingUnderstand the technology industry and the companies that operate in it. Learn about the key financial ratios used to analyze tech companies.
InvestingA company’s long-term debt to total assets ratio shows the percentage of its assets that are financed with long-term debt.