Buy-Sell Agreements are still the most common planning method used for the sale and continuation of small business interests. The buy-sell is a business continuity plan where the current property owner enters into an arrangement for the purchase and continuance of the property upon their death with another party.
Properties of the Buy-Sell Agreement:
- Guarantees a market for the business interest (liquidity).
- Owner can continue to operate business until their death.
- Avoids the probate process.
- Business is more attractive to creditors (continuity plan).
- Easier to determine the estate tax value of the business.
- Owner can choose to who they desire to sell the business interest (third party, family member, employees, etc.).
An installment sale is the taxable sale of a business or property where at least one principal payment is received in a year other than the year of the actual sale. The gain due to the sale of the property (in exchange for the installment note), will be delayed and recognized gradually over the installment period.
Payments for the property can exceed the lifetime of the seller; therefore, there is an estate inclusion of the present value of the remaining payments at the seller's death:Advantages:
- Favorable income tax treatment under installment accounting.
- Deferral of payments for buyer.
- Freezes gift/estate value and removes appreciation potential.
- Can be used to keep a business in the family.
Self-Canceling Installment Note
The self-canceling installment note (SCIN), is a variation of the installment note that includes a self-canceling provision at the seller's death. The SCIN is subject to the normal installment reporting rules, but is canceled if the seller dies before all principal payments are made to the seller. Because of the cancellation feature, these agreements usually carry a higher sales price.
- Buyer pays a higher price for a property or business.
- Installment payments end at the death of the seller.
- Nothing is included in the estate of the seller.
- No gift or estate taxes if equal value is exchanged.
Private Annuity, Transfers In Trust, Intra-Family Loan
InvestingInstallment sales allow sellers to defer taxes on real estate profits.
InsightsLong-term installment loans help borrowers finance major purchases or consolidate credit card debt. Learn how they work, and identify their pros and cons.
InvestingHire purchase is a term used in Great Britain to describe an installment plan payment arrangement.
Personal FinanceAn equated monthly installment is a fixed payment a borrower makes to a lender on the same date of each month.
TaxesRecently, the IRS has been more amenable to working out late tax payments. But you have to address the problem up front, and don’t keep Uncle Sam waiting on his tax money.
InvestingThere's more than one way to buy or sell a house. Seller financing presents yet another unique option.
InvestingSeller financing works like this: Instead of a buyer receiving a loan from a bank, the person selling the house lends the buyer the money for the purchase.
InvestingFind out how you can build wealth and reduce your taxes.
InvestingBuying real estate options is one way to invest in real estate at a lower entry cost.