Test Taking - Regulatory Questions
You will have a difficult time passing the exam without knowing the following regulations:
- Account opening
- Review the customer account documentation to ensure it complies with all applicable rules and regulations.
- Require all necessary information be on file before new accounts are allowed to trade.
- Provide adequate risk disclosure to customers prior to opening an account.
- Obtain each customer's name, address, occupation/business, estimated annual income, estimated net worth, age and prior investment and futures trading experience.
- If the required information is not obtained, document that the customer declined to provide such information.
- Cash flow
- Make all disbursements except petty cash by check.
- Make and keep copies of customer checks prior to depositing them.
- Restrictively endorse checks upon receipt
- Promotional material – type and retention requirements
- Maintain all promotional material for five years from date of last use.
- Maintain supporting documentation for all statements, claims and performance results.
- Include any material information so that the promotional material is not misleading.
- Include an equally prominent statement of the risk of loss if the material mentions the possibility of profit, including the presentation of past performance results.
- Calculate rates of return in a manner consistent with CFTC Part 4 regulations.
- Ensure that the past performance of any actual accounts presented is representative of the actual performance of all reasonably comparable accounts for the same time period.
- Include a statement that past results are not necessarily indicative of future results when past performance is mentioned.
- Ensure that statements of opinion are identifiable as such and have a reasonable basis in fact.
- Ensure that there is no guarantee against loss.
- Identify the "limited-risk" and "no margin call" features of options as applying only to the purchase of options.
- Explain that the "limited-risk" feature of options includes the full amount of the premium and transaction costs including commissions.
- Ensure that reprints of articles have been supplemented with the proper disclosures and disclaimers.
- Present hypothetical results only if there are less than three months of actual trading results for the offered program.
- Include the actual results of all customer accounts directed by the member firm for the past five years with any hypothetical results.
- Calculate hypothetical results in the same way as actual results.
- Ensure that hypothetical results and actual results are presented separately, clearly identified and given equal prominence.
- Explain all material assumptions made in preparing hypothetical results: minimum investment amount, distribution or reinvestment of profits, commission charges, management and incentive fees, and the method used to determine the purchase and sale price for each trade.
Investing BasicsPlain vanilla is a term used in investing to describe the most basic types of financial instruments.
InvestingCommodity prices have been heading lower for more than four years, being the worst performing asset class of 2015 with more losses in cyclical commodities.
InvestingWest Texas Intermediate oil futures have recently made pronounced movements. What do they bode for the world market?
InvestingGrowing global demand for quinoa has impacted Bolivian farmers' way of life. Should the American consumer be wary of buying this product?
EconomicsThe Fed continues to delay normalizing rates, citing inflation concerns and “global economic and financial developments” in explaining its rationale.
Investing NewsAlcoa plans to split into two companies. Is this a bullish catalyst for investors?
InvestingIn an industry still largely predominated by men, we look at 6 leading female value investors working today.
Forex FundamentalsThe best times to trade the Mexican peso are centered around economic releases, typically in the morning hours.
Chart AdvisorNews out of Alcoa is causing active traders to turn toward base metals for opportunities. Before diving into the market, check out the charts of these three ETFs.
Stock AnalysisRead about some of the holdings in Carl Icahn's portfolio. Learn about his activist campaigns against companies that he believes are performing poorly.
The estimated volatility of a security's price.
The most basic or standard version of a financial instrument, ...
A security with a price that is dependent upon or derived from ...
A securities license entitling the holder to register as a limited ...
A transaction that can cancel out a forward contract that has ...
The security that is delivered by the short position holder in ...
Financial advisors are not required to have university degrees. However, they are required to pass certain exams administered ... Read Full Answer >>
Mutual funds invest in not only stocks and fixed-income securities but also options and futures. There exists a separate ... Read Full Answer >>
If you are older than 59.5 and have been contributing to your IRA for more than five years, you may withdraw funds to pay ... Read Full Answer >>
If you are over 59.5, or separate from your plan-sponsoring employer after age 55, you are free to use your 401(k) to pay ... Read Full Answer >>
Traders roll over futures contracts to switch from the front month contract that is close to expiration to another contract ... Read Full Answer >>
Different types of companies may enter into futures contracts for different purposes. The most common reason is to hedge ... Read Full Answer >>