General Theory - Summary And Review
Futures contracts have existed in some form for a very long time, but weren't standardized and exchange-traded until the mid-19th century. Futures were historically based on agricultural products, but financial futures were developed starting in 1971. Futures are conceptually similar to forward contracts, but differ in some key respects. The futures market has a unique structure in which hedgers and speculators participate, and a vocabulary not unlike that of the market for options, another type of derivative.
Review 1. Which is not an antecedent of the contemporary futures contract?
- Japanese rice and silk contracts
- Forward contracts
- Exchange-traded options
2. In which way does a future contract differ from a forward contract?
- It can be customized in terms of quantity of goods and delivery dates.
- It trades directly between buyer and seller.
- It is guaranteed by an exchange.
- It trades in a government-regulated market.
3. It is July. September futures for soybean oil settled today at 26'45 ($0.2645/pound) and December soybean oil futures settled at 26'57. The 90-day BA rate is an annualized 4.00%. True or false: The market for soybean oil is above full carry.
4. A trader expects the price of heating oil to decrease faster than the market predicts so she, on her own account, sells a futures contract "borrowed" from her firm. This market participant is acting as:
- a hedger taking a long position
- a hedger taking a short position
- a speculator taking a long position
- a speculator taking a short position
5. If an option's price would change $0.30 if its underlying commodity moved $1.00 then 0.3 is the:
- time value
6. Hedging is the inverse of speculation
7. An associated person hedging an asset or futures position with a similar, but not identical contract has entered into a cross hedge
8. A manufacturer of 200,000 pounds of Unobtanium is desirous of hedging her inventory. Each contract is 50,000 pounds.
- Purchase four futures contracts.
- Sell eight futures contracts.
- Sell four futures contracts.
- Purchase eight futures contracts.
9. An artisanal baker wants to hedge the risk in increased costs of flour. He should:
- Be long wheat futures.
- Be short flour futures
- Be long flour futures.
- Be short wheat futures.
10. To hedge falling prices, a holder of inventory should purchase futures contract equal to the quantity of inventory.
11. Commodity Pool Operators (CPOs) advise on the purchase of commodities or a commodities-based investment strategy.
Chart AdvisorCopper prices have been under pressure lately and based on these charts it doesn't seem that it will reverse any time soon.
Stock AnalysisLearn about large changes to Berkshire Hathaway's portfolio. See why Warren Buffett has invested in a commodity company even though he does not usually do so.
MarketsMany investors are looking at emerging market (EM) stocks and wonder if it’s time to step back in, while others wonder if we’ll see further declines.
MarketsWhile U.S. growth remains relatively resilient, global growth continues to slip.
Options & FuturesTerrorist activity tends to have a negative impact on the markets, but just how much? Find out how to take cover.
FACIPM designates usually work as investment performance analysts.
Investing BasicsAccording to the liquidity preference theory, investors demand interest in return for sacrificing their liquidity.
Investing NewsLooking for ideas on companies, sectors or investments to short? Consider the opinion of this hedge fund luminary.
InvestingFollowing a massive natural gas discovery in the Mediterranean, Egypt's energy concerns will be coming to an end, but how does this affect oil prices?
Investing BasicsWill these water-related investments sink or swim?
A derivative contract through which two parties exchange financial ...
Making an investment to reduce the risk of adverse price movements ...
The movement of the price of a futures contract towards the spot ...
Crude oil is a naturally occurring, unrefined petroleum product ...
An auction market in which participants buy and sell commodity/future ...
The estimated volatility of a security's price.
Out of the 2,800 mutual funds that Morningstar, Inc., the leading provider of independent investment research in North America, ... Read Full Answer >>
There are several hedge funds that invest in commodities. Many hedge funds have broad macroeconomic strategies and invest ... Read Full Answer >>
Financial advisors are not required to have university degrees. However, they are required to pass certain exams administered ... Read Full Answer >>
Mutual funds invest in not only stocks and fixed-income securities but also options and futures. There exists a separate ... Read Full Answer >>
If you are older than 59.5 and have been contributing to your IRA for more than five years, you may withdraw funds to pay ... Read Full Answer >>
If you are over 59.5, or separate from your plan-sponsoring employer after age 55, you are free to use your 401(k) to pay ... Read Full Answer >>