- A. The basis is always the near-future price minus the distant-future price; it narrows as it gets closer to zero it narrows, and widens as it gets farther from zero.
- B. Interest rates and futures prices move inversely. Selling the near future and buying the distant future suggests that the investor is speculating that contract prices will move down. Considering that only one-fourth of the position is hedged, this is probably a strongly held belief.
- A. Uncovered position: $93,750 (50 bps x $25 x 75 contracts). Hedged position is also positive because the speculator sold near future and bought distant future as the basis narrowed: $6,250 (10 bps x $25 x 25 contracts).
- D. Gross margin is $100,000, per 3A. The amount invested is $966.65 ($96.6650 x 100 contracts x 10%) plus $241.68 ($96.6700 x 25 contracts x 10%) plus $100 ($50 x 2 trades)
- C. A is false and the others are not necessarily true.
- B. Pyramiding involves the incremental addition of futures positions in decreasing amounts in a rising market, not a falling one.
- B. 100-93.75 ($9,375/100) = 6.25%
InvestingFuture value is the value of an asset or cash at a specified date in the future that is equivalent in value to a specified sum today.
InvestingFutures is short for Futures Contracts, which are contracts between a buyer and seller of an asset who agree to exchange goods and money at a future date, but at a price and quantity determined ...
InvestingLearn how a monthly investment of just $100 can help build a future nest egg using properly diversified stocks or stock mutual funds.
InvestingDiscover what JPMorgan Chase gets for its minority interest acquisition of ETF provider Global X, and learn about what it means for the company's ETF business.
InvestingAn introduction to oil futures, how the market arrives at oil futures prices, what futures prices mean, and how investors can exploit them.
Managing WealthSimple interest ignores the effect of compounding: it's only calculated on the principal amount. This makes it easier to calculate than compound interest.
InvestingIf you are a hedger or a speculator, gold and silver futures contracts offer a world of profit-making opportunities.
InvestingThe energy market influences every aspect of our lives, and these four options are its driving force.
TradingWe look at the top eight advantages of trading futures over stocks.