Speculating - Summary And Review
A trader needs to know how to compute gross profit and loss for both uncovered and spread positions. Once that is calculated, the trader needs to know how to calculate return on equity, regardless of the underlying commodity, on pre-tax basis. The trader also needs to be able to compare the yields for taxable and tax-exempt futures.
The trader needs to know how to recommend specific trades given expected market conditions, as well as the best way to structure the trade.
A speculator sells 100 eurodollar September futures for $96.6650 and buys 25 eurodollar December futures for $96.6700. The September price then goes down to $96.6600 and the December price goes down to $96.6640. Contract values vary $25 per basis point. There is a 10% margin and a $50/trade commission for spreads.
- Which is TRUE of the basis?
- It narrows from -50 bps to -40 bps.
- It widens from -50 bps to -60 bps.
- It widens from -40 bps to -50 bps.
- It narrows from -60 bps to -50 bps.
- Which statement is TRUE?
- The speculator expects eurodollar contract prices to go up and short-term interest rates to go up.
- The speculator expects eurodollar contract prices to go down and short-term interest rates to go up.
- The speculator expects eurodollar contract prices to go up and short-term interest rates to go down.
- The speculator expects eurodollar contract prices to go down and short-term interest rates to go down.
- The gross profit realized upon exiting the position is:
- The return on equity is:
- If your client would like to ensure that the market is moving a certain direction before entering or exiting a position you might recommend a:
- Market order
- Fill-or-kill order
- Stop-limit order
- Good-till-cancelled order
- In a falling market, a speculator would employ pyramiding as a profitable strategy.
- A trader anticipates a decline in short-term interest rates and wants to lock in lower Eurodollar prices. She goes long 100 eurodollar futures contracts for $9,375. The rate on this contract is 6.25%.
ProfessionalsObtain information, both general and comparative, about the best available financial modeling courses for individuals pursuing a career in investment banking.
Chart AdvisorCopper prices have been under pressure lately and based on these charts it doesn't seem that it will reverse any time soon.
Stock AnalysisLearn about large changes to Berkshire Hathaway's portfolio. See why Warren Buffett has invested in a commodity company even though he does not usually do so.
MarketsMany investors are looking at emerging market (EM) stocks and wonder if it’s time to step back in, while others wonder if we’ll see further declines.
MarketsWhile U.S. growth remains relatively resilient, global growth continues to slip.
Options & FuturesTerrorist activity tends to have a negative impact on the markets, but just how much? Find out how to take cover.
FACIPM designates usually work as investment performance analysts.
Investing BasicsAccording to the liquidity preference theory, investors demand interest in return for sacrificing their liquidity.
Investing NewsLooking for ideas on companies, sectors or investments to short? Consider the opinion of this hedge fund luminary.
InvestingFollowing a massive natural gas discovery in the Mediterranean, Egypt's energy concerns will be coming to an end, but how does this affect oil prices?
A derivative contract through which two parties exchange financial ...
Making an investment to reduce the risk of adverse price movements ...
The movement of the price of a futures contract towards the spot ...
Crude oil is a naturally occurring, unrefined petroleum product ...
An auction market in which participants buy and sell commodity/future ...
The estimated volatility of a security's price.
Out of the 2,800 mutual funds that Morningstar, Inc., the leading provider of independent investment research in North America, ... Read Full Answer >>
There are several hedge funds that invest in commodities. Many hedge funds have broad macroeconomic strategies and invest ... Read Full Answer >>
Financial advisors are not required to have university degrees. However, they are required to pass certain exams administered ... Read Full Answer >>
Mutual funds invest in not only stocks and fixed-income securities but also options and futures. There exists a separate ... Read Full Answer >>
If you are older than 59.5 and have been contributing to your IRA for more than five years, you may withdraw funds to pay ... Read Full Answer >>
If you are over 59.5, or separate from your plan-sponsoring employer after age 55, you are free to use your 401(k) to pay ... Read Full Answer >>