Speculating - Summary And Review
A trader needs to know how to compute gross profit and loss for both uncovered and spread positions. Once that is calculated, the trader needs to know how to calculate return on equity, regardless of the underlying commodity, on pre-tax basis. The trader also needs to be able to compare the yields for taxable and tax-exempt futures.
The trader needs to know how to recommend specific trades given expected market conditions, as well as the best way to structure the trade.
A speculator sells 100 eurodollar September futures for $96.6650 and buys 25 eurodollar December futures for $96.6700. The September price then goes down to $96.6600 and the December price goes down to $96.6640. Contract values vary $25 per basis point. There is a 10% margin and a $50/trade commission for spreads.
- Which is TRUE of the basis?
- It narrows from -50 bps to -40 bps.
- It widens from -50 bps to -60 bps.
- It widens from -40 bps to -50 bps.
- It narrows from -60 bps to -50 bps.
- Which statement is TRUE?
- The speculator expects eurodollar contract prices to go up and short-term interest rates to go up.
- The speculator expects eurodollar contract prices to go down and short-term interest rates to go up.
- The speculator expects eurodollar contract prices to go up and short-term interest rates to go down.
- The speculator expects eurodollar contract prices to go down and short-term interest rates to go down.
- The gross profit realized upon exiting the position is:
- The return on equity is:
- If your client would like to ensure that the market is moving a certain direction before entering or exiting a position you might recommend a:
- Market order
- Fill-or-kill order
- Stop-limit order
- Good-till-cancelled order
- In a falling market, a speculator would employ pyramiding as a profitable strategy.
- A trader anticipates a decline in short-term interest rates and wants to lock in lower Eurodollar prices. She goes long 100 eurodollar futures contracts for $9,375. The rate on this contract is 6.25%.
Options & FuturesIntroduction to trading eurodollar futures, covering eurodollar time deposits, the history of eurodollars, hedging and speculating with eurodollar futures.
InsuranceEssentially, futures contracts try to predict what the value of an index or commodity will be at some date in the future. Speculators in the futures market can use different strategies to take ...
Stock AnalysisDoes the news of BP's repurchase program make the stock more attractive? Let's take a look.
Stock AnalysisThe high yield bond market has been subject to extreme pressure due to commodity price weakness and potential defaults in commodity related sectors.
Options & FuturesWhat Is It? As the name implies, futures are contracts on commodities, currencies, and stock market indexes that attempt to predict the value of these securities at some date in the future. ...
Active Trading FundamentalsFutures trading is risky business, so it's crucial that traders' positions match the level of risk they are willing to bear.
ProfessionalsLearn what you need to know about margin to pass your Series 3 exam.
TermBoth forward and futures contracts allow investors to buy or sell an asset at a specific time and price.
Options & FuturesFutures markets have highly liquid equity proxies for nearly all major contracts, offering greater choices for traders and investors.
InvestingAll major U.S. indices closed higher for the third consecutive week, led by the Dow Jones Industrial Average, which was up 2%. Year to date, by far the strongest major index has been the tech-heavy ...
The price difference between three-month futures contracts for ...
The process of converting a foreign currency into the currency ...
A financial contract obligating the buyer to purchase an asset ...
A form of arbitrage involving rearranging a bank's cash by borrowing ...
A condition that exists in the eurodollar interbank deposit market ...
A unit that is equal to 1/100th of 1%, and is used to denote ...
Find out why financial analysts and publications track and quote bond yields in basis points, or bps, rather than simply ... Read Answer >>
A futures contract is an agreement to buy or sell a commodity at a pre-determined price and quantity at a future date in ... Read Answer >>
Learn how companies use futures contracts for the purposes of hedging their exposure to price fluctuations as well as for ... Read Answer >>
Learn how the notional value of a futures contract is calculated, and how futures are different from stock since they have ... Read Answer >>
Fundamentally, forward and futures contracts have the same function: both types of contracts allow people to buy or sell ... Read Answer >>
Learn about values of futures contracts and the initial margin a trader must place in an account to open a futures position, ... Read Answer >>