A state administrator cannot require the registration of federal covered securities in the state. Federal covered securities include any of the securities listed below:
- Exchange-listed Securities - This refers to any security listed on the New York Stock Exchange, American Stock Exchange or Nasdaq, as well as senior securities (such as preferred stocks and bonds of a company whose stock is so listed).
- Investment Company Shares - This refers to mutual fund shares issued by a registered investment company and sold to qualified purchasers (an individual with at least $5 million in investments or investment managers with at least $25 million in assets under management).
- Initial Public Offerings - A state administrator cannot require registration of IPOs, but they can require a notice filing in the state and a payment of a filing fee.
Exam Tips and Tricks
Questions about securities registration tend to be very straightforward. Remember that only two questions involving securities registration are scheduled to be on the exam. Here are two likely questions involving exempt securities or transactions:
Which of the following securities is NOT exempt under the Uniform Securities Act?
- Limited partnerships
- Convertible bonds of a NYSE-listed company
- U.S. Treasury bonds
- Stock issued by a nonprofit organization
The answer is A, since all the other options listed are specifically exempted.
- ABC Corporation has never previously issued securities registered by the SEC. It can register in the state by which method(s)?
- Registration by filing
- Registration by coordination
- Registration by qualification
- Registration by administration
- I only
- II only
- II and III
- I, III & IV
The correct answer is C, since registration by filing is only available to companies that have previously registered securities with the SEC, and registration by administration is not a valid registration method.
Financial AdvisorYour career as a securities agent begins with this test. We'll show you how to score high.
InvestingThe primary markets are where investors can get first crack at a new security issuance.
Financial AdvisorWhen joining the world of investment professionals, you must take the right exams.
InsightsHow Will The FAA's Proposed Drone Regulations Affect The Drone Industry?
Managing WealthUnderstand the differences between a trade name and a trademark, the different functions they serve and registration considerations for business owners.
Financial AdvisorTo become a registered investment advisor requires specific licensing, qualifications and regulations, but the greater freedom may be worth it.
Managing WealthDiscover some of the most important steps you need to take after making a decision to change your legally established business name.
Personal FinanceIf you're getting into the field of investment banking, you'll need to know all about the Series 79.
InvestingCommercial paper is a short-term debt security issued by financial companies and large corporations. The corporation promises the buyer a return, or profit, for making the loan. The return is ...
Personal FinanceEven if you don't invest a cent in stocks, you should still understand how the stock market works. Find out why.