As we discussed in previous sections, churning or excessive trading is an unethical business practice and is subject to the penalties.
- By definition, excessive trading is also a conflict of interest, since in most cases an IA who engages in this behavior receives commissions from such trades.
- This is a clear case of conflict of interest, since an IA must always put their client's interests first.
It is almost always considered unethical to borrow money from or loan money to a client.
- Since the advisory relationship allows the IA to know confidential information about the client's income and assets, it is a breach of confidentiality (see page 42) to borrow money from the client.
- Furthermore, loaning money in either direction is likely to influence the advice given, thus making it almost impossible for the IA to give objective advice.
- Exceptions: The allowable exceptions to borrowing money from a client would be if the client:
- is in the business of lending money, such as a bank or mortgage company
- is an affiliate of an investment adviser
- is a broker-dealer
The allowable exceptions to lending money to a client would be if the IA is:
- a financial institution that normally engages in lending money
- affiliated with the IA, such as an employee of the IA.
Remember that it is OK to borrow from or lend to someone who is an affiliate of the IA. In the test, this is often simply referred to as "an affiliate." This can be confusing, but both answers ("an affiliate" and "an affiliate of the IA") are considered correct.
Investment Adviser Duties
Managing WealthInvestment managers should always act to benefit the client. Learn what actions managers should take on a client's behalf.
InvestingLook at how Facebook's Instant Articles feature works, and how it differs from the new Accelerated Mobile Pages feature from Google and Twitter.
Financial AdvisorYou can't control how they react to the market, but you can help them understand the reality of the situation.
Financial AdvisorLosing a client is never pleasant for a financial advisor, but sometimes this is a better outcome than continuing the relationship.
Financial AdvisorThis is how you can tell if your financial planner genuinely has your best interests at heart.
Personal FinanceDiscover the various ways in which private banking and wealth management services coincide, as well as the significant differences between them.
Financial AdvisorAlmost half of millionaires would not recommend their advisor. Here's how to keep these clients happy.
RetirementAltering retirement plans is tough, but when the retiree is unprepared, it's very necessary.
Financial AdvisorManaging client expectations during periods of market volatility is challenging. Here are some ways to go about it.
Financial AdvisorOne of the best things that advisors can provide to clients is an annual review of their financial situation. Here are some guidelines.