Basic Economic Concepts - Interest Rates
Typically, when the supply of money increases, interest rates fall. And when the supply of money tightens, interest rates increase. So, the Fed actions discussed earlier have an impact on the following:
- Consumer spending
- Interest rates on newly issued bonds
- Market prices of existing bonds: when interest rates rise, the prices of bonds with lower coupon rates decrease and vice versa
Fed actions can also indirectly impact stocks:
- When monetary policy expands credit, lower interest rates make bonds less appealing as investments, and stocks more appealing.
- From the corporate perspective, company earnings may rise because of lower interest expense, which may cause the market price of the stock to rise.
- Of course, when the opposite occurs and monetary policy tightens credit, interest rates will rise, earnings will decrease, and the market price of the stock is likely to decrease as well. As interest rates rise, bonds become more attractive to investors.
Consider these sample exam questions:
- Which of the following short-term effects could result from increases in the money supply?
- Interest rate increases
- Bond price decreases
- Stock price increases
- I & II
- I & IV
- III & IV
- I, III, & IV
The correct answer is "c": increases in the money supply would decrease interest rates, not increase them, and bond and stock prices would both increase. Inflation does not always follow an increase in the money supply, but it usually does if the increase in the money supply is not accompanied by an increase in real output.
- All of the following are tools used by the Federal Reserve to control the money supply EXCEPT:
- Setting the Fed funds rate
- Setting the discount rate
- Changing reserve requirements
- Buying and selling government securities in the open market
The correct answer is "a". All the other actions are tools used by the Federal Reserve, but it does not have the ability to set the Fed funds rate. That rate responds to Fed actions but is not directly set by the Fed.
FAPassing the Series 79 exam is usually necessary for anyone who wants to work in investment banking.
TermThe Series 66 exam is one of two tests required to register as both a securities agent and an investment advisor.
ProfessionalsFind out which exam you need to begin your career as an investment professional.
ProfessionalsRead an in-depth comparison about working as a Financial Analyst vs. working as an Investment Banker, two highly prestigious business careers.
ProfessionalsMost states require individuals to pass the Series 65 exam in order to act as investment advisors.
Personal FinanceRIAs and brokers are held to different standards when providing investment advice. Here's how they differ.
Investing BasicsBrokers and registered investment advisors have some key differences. Here's what you need to know.
ProfessionalsUpon successful completion of the Series 6, an individual will have the qualifications needed to sell open end mutual funds and variable annuities
ProfessionalsGunning to be a stock broker and want an edge? Here's some veteran advice.
Trading Systems & SoftwareLaunching your own broker-dealer is a lot of work, but the potential payoff is great, both personally and financially.
A securities license entitling the holder to register as a limited ...
A examination to ensure a candidate is qualified to become a ...
A person who prepares investigative reports on equity securities. ...
An exam required for individuals seeking to engage in off-exchange ...
One who provides financial advice or guidance to customers for ...
An exam given by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority ...
Financial advisors are not required to have university degrees. However, they are required to pass certain exams administered ... Read Full Answer >>
Financial advisors must possess various securities licenses in order to sell investment products. The specific products an ... Read Full Answer >>
The Series 6 Investment Company and Variable Contracts Products Representative Qualification Examination is administered ... Read Full Answer >>
There are several highly acclaimed private Series 6 Exam courses in the United States. Many can be completed online. Popular ... Read Full Answer >>
The Series 6, or the Investment Company Products/Variable Contracts Limited Representative, exam is administered by the Financial ... Read Full Answer >>
The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) offers a variety of licenses that must be obtained before conducting ... Read Full Answer >>