The term "security" is vitally important to the USA; therefore, you will find the exact definition from the USA below. You are strongly encouraged to memorize this definition for the exam.
As defined by the Uniform Securities Act, asecurity is any of the following:
- a note;
- treasury stock;
- security future;
- evidence of indebtedness;
- certificate of interest or
- participation in a profit-sharing agreement;
- collateral trust certificate;
- pre-organization certificate or subscription;
- transferable share;
- investment contract;
- voting trust certificate;
- certificate of deposit for a security;
- fractional undivided interest in oil, gas, or other mineral rights;
- put, call, straddle, option, or privilege on a security,
- certificate of deposit, or
- group or index of securities, including an interest therein or based on the value thereof; put, call, straddle, option, or
- privilege entered into on a national securities exchange relating to foreign currency; or, in general,
- an interest or instrument commonly known as a "security"; or
- a certificate of interest or participation in,
- temporary or interim certificate for, receipt for, guarantee of, or
- warrant or right to subscribe to or purchase any of the foregoing.
Stock Term Specifics
InsightsAlthough a silver-certificate dollar bill no longer can be exchanged for silver, the date, grade and unique features make certain certificates very valuable.
Financial AdvisorYour career as a securities agent begins with this test. We'll show you how to score high.
InvestingThere's more to that $10 bill in your pocket than you think - read on for some interesting facts about U.S. currency.
InvestingSecurities lending is the act of loaning a stock or other security to an investor or firm.
InsightsAn accounting certification may be the boost your career needs. Find out how to get the most bang for your buck.
RetirementYour schedule opens up significantly in retirement. Pursuing any of these seven certifications will keep you busy as you gain a great new skill.
InvestingFor a fixed-income security, the periodic return on the investment is the same throughout the life of the security. Principal is returned at the time of maturity. The payment can be in the form ...
Personal FinanceThese courses and certificates are relatively cheap and non-intensive, and they can help you get hired or put you in a higher pay grade at your company.
InvestingIn today’s markets, the distinction between stocks and shares has become blurred.