The term "security" is vitally important to the USA; therefore, you will find the exact definition from the USA below. You are strongly encouraged to memorize this definition for the exam.
As defined by the Uniform Securities Act, asecurity is any of the following:
- a note;
- treasury stock;
- security future;
- evidence of indebtedness;
- certificate of interest or
- participation in a profit-sharing agreement;
- collateral trust certificate;
- pre-organization certificate or subscription;
- transferable share;
- investment contract;
- voting trust certificate;
- certificate of deposit for a security;
- fractional undivided interest in oil, gas, or other mineral rights;
- put, call, straddle, option, or privilege on a security,
- certificate of deposit, or
- group or index of securities, including an interest therein or based on the value thereof; put, call, straddle, option, or
- privilege entered into on a national securities exchange relating to foreign currency; or, in general,
- an interest or instrument commonly known as a "security"; or
- a certificate of interest or participation in,
- temporary or interim certificate for, receipt for, guarantee of, or
- warrant or right to subscribe to or purchase any of the foregoing.
Stock Term Specifics
Managing WealthIndex-linked CDs generate returns similar to indexes, without the potential for loss.
Financial AdvisorYour career as a securities agent begins with this test. We'll show you how to score high.
TradingIn this strategy, traders cash in when the underlying security rises - and when it falls.
TradingWith options, the direction of a stock's next major move becomes less important than its magnitude.
InvestingSecurities lending is the act of loaning a stock or other security to an investor or firm.
Personal FinanceLearn more about the career options available to financial data analysts, and determine whether the profession is a good match for you.
InsightsAn accounting certification may be the boost your career needs. Find out how to get the most bang for your buck.
InvestingFor a fixed-income security, the periodic return on the investment is the same throughout the life of the security. Principal is returned at the time of maturity. The payment can be in the form ...
RetirementYour schedule opens up significantly in retirement. Pursuing any of these seven certifications will keep you busy as you gain a great new skill.
RetirementThese certifications can lead to a promising career, but is estate planning for you?