Opening the brokerage account is just the first step. A registered representative and the firm for which he or she works have ongoing responsibilities to their clients and to their regulators.
Broker-dealers must send confirmation of each transaction to the account owner at or prior to settlement.
- These are supplemented by monthly (or, in a thinly trading account, quarterly) statements. These and all other substantive notes to the investor must be reviewed and approved by a manager.
- Broker-dealers must also retain any correspondence received from each client.
- The accounts of employees of SROs or other broker-dealers require additional scrutiny at the supervisory level for as long as they are open in order to ensure that there are no conflicts of interest. Duplicate confirmations and account statements must be sent to the investor's employer.
- For those accounts over which the registered representative has discretionary authority, each order needs to be marked "discretion" and approved by a manager.
- The broker-dealer also needs to keep this correspondence on file:
- Changes in designation on orders
- Erroneous reports to customers regarding order executions
- Customer complaints
- Acceptance of COD purchase orders
Financial AdvisorFinancial advisors must determine a business model that meets their needs and meets the expectations of their clients.
Financial AdvisorThere are two primary types of financial advisors: investment advisors and investment brokers, who work for broker-dealers.
Personal FinanceDiscover what the job description of an accountant entails, along with education and training, salary and skills necessary for success.
Managing WealthDiscover the basic responsibilities of an accounting research manager, the path this career usually takes and the qualifications needed for this career.
Managing WealthLearn about the average salary of an accounting research manager as well as the necessary skills, experience and education, and licenses to hold this position.
Financial AdvisorIndependent broker-dealers are a great choice for experienced, self-starter planners who have established practices.
Financial AdvisorBefore you take the series 63, you need to understand jurisdiction and how it affects broker-dealers.
InvestingFind out which independent broker-dealers generate the most revenue and why one major group may face major change in 2016-2017.
Personal FinanceMore than just crunching numbers, this career blends detective work with trouble shooting.
Financial AdvisorFind out what problems arise for financial representatives when they start to diversify their client offerings.