Within this section, we will examine the federal tax treatment of different income types, foreign securities, and wash sales. How taxes affect your client is extremely important to consider when providing information and recommendations.

Types of Income
U.S. federal tax authorities recognize three types of income:

  • Earned income is just what it sounds like: salary, bonus, perquisites, fees for services and other remuneration for work you perform. Earned income is subject to income tax at a rate proportional to a person's income
  • Investment income consists of interest, dividends, capital gains and gains (or losses) from selling securities or property.

    • A capital gain is the difference between the price at which you bought a security and the price at which it is now. If you haven't sold that security yet, the capital gain is said to be unrealized. Capital gains are not taxed until they are realized - that is to say, when you sell them. At that point, they become gains from selling securities and are generally taxed at a lower rate than other income.
    • Cash dividends are payable in the year paid and shareholders must pay tax on the full amount, even if they are reinvested.
      • On the other hand, companies who own stock in other companies will typically qualify for a corporate dividend exclusion of 70% (if they own less than 20% stock in the other company), or 80% (if they own more than 20% of the other company).
    • Stock dividends are not taxable until a capital gain on those securities is realized by selling the securities. At this point, the investor must adjust the cost basis of his or her position to reflect the stock dividend. As a result, capital gains (and its respective tax) will be higher due to the lower cost basis.

  • Passive income is income generated from business activities in which you do not participate materially during the year, such as rental activities (as long as you are not a real estate professional), partnerships (if you are not one of the operating partners), and residuals.
    • Residuals is best explained through the following examples:
      • A sales rep who gets a commission every time an old customer makes a new purchase.
      • A land owner who has hired a professional farmer to run the property
      • A former songwriter who makes a royalty every time his golden oldie is played on the radio (if he were still writing songs professionally, this would not be an example of passive income).

This type of income is treated similarly to earned income except that the tax code recognizes that - unlike earned income - there is the possibility of loss if the partnership or the rental property or the farm is wiped out. However, there is also a recognition that sometimes such losses occur on purpose so the holders of these properties can take a loss and avoid paying taxes. There is an entire unit of the IRS code, Section 469, which prescribes how to account for the risks and losses associated with passive income.



Tax Considerations

Related Articles
  1. Personal Finance

    All About Income

    Income is the money you or a business earns by providing goods or services, or through investments.
  2. Personal Finance

    Comparing Long-Term vs. Short-Term Capital Gain Tax Rates

    Learn about the difference between short- and long-term capital gains and how the duration of your investment can impact your tax liability.
  3. ETFs & Mutual Funds

    The Basics of Income Tax on Mutual Funds

    Learn about the basics of income tax on mutual funds, including what types of income may be subject to the capital gains tax rate.
  4. Retirement

    Understanding How Dividends Are Taxed

    Learn how dividends are taxed by the IRS, and understand the different types of dividend income as well as the capital gains tax rates.
  5. Personal Finance

    Explaining Double Taxation

    Double taxation refers to income taxes being imposed twice on the same source of earned income.
  6. Markets

    3 Tax Implications of Dividend Stocks

    Dividend paying companies are attractive in a low interest rate environment, but income seeking investors have to be careful of the potential tax hit.
  7. Personal Finance

    Capital Gains Tax 101

    Find out how taxes are applied to your investment returns and how you can reduce your tax burden.
  8. Managing Wealth

    How Will Your Investment Make Money?

    Discover the basic types of investment income and which asset classes pay them.
  9. Investing

    What is Passive Income?

    Passive income is earned by someone from ventures in which they did not actively participate.
  10. Financial Advisor

    How to Plan for Taxes on Dividends

    Dividends are taxed differently than other investment income. Here are some strategies to help lower taxes on dividends.
Trading Center