With tax season right around the corner, many taxpayers are contacting their tax professionals and gathering all their pertinent documents to ensure a smooth and painless process of filing their taxes. There are some taxpayers who choose to file their income taxes on their own, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that. It is important, however, to make sure that you are covering all the bases when you decide to file without the financial expertise of a tax professional. Here is a look at five rules you should follow if you are filing your 2012 tax return yourself.

Determine If You Have a Simple or Complex Return
Prior to filing your taxes, you should determine how complex your tax return might be. If you are filing a simple return with no deductions other than the standard one, filing by yourself should be a fairly simply task. However, if you are married, filing with multiple W2s or have various deductions, it may be wise to consult a tax professional for assistance. A tax professional will be able to maximize your return and ensure that you are not missing any vital information. His or her guidance can also help protect you in the event of an audit.

Understand the Tax Code
Before you start filling out that 1040 form, make sure that you have at least a basic knowledge of the tax code and its terminology. This is one form that you definitely do not want to second guess. Keep in mind that the tax code changes year after year, and filing a return using outdated knowledge may have dire financial implications in the future. The tax code is highly complex and easily misunderstood.

If you are ever in doubt, contact a tax professional or reference the tax code at www.irs.gov.

Keep Organized Records
A crucial part of filing taxes is maintaining accurate and organized tax records. Tax forms, receipts and other important documentation should be filed away for at least seven years in case of an audit. If you plan on claiming a deduction, make sure you have the receipt on file. When filing your own taxes, it is vital that you keep organized records and keep them filed in a safe place.

Don't Be Afraid to Ask Questions
Just because you are not using an accountant to file your taxes doesn't mean that you have no resources available to you should a question arise. There are plenty of resources you can consult if you have a question about the tax code, filing forms, eligible deductions and more. Some of these resources include the IRS tax hotline, various retail and traditional tax professionals, and online resources. Don't be afraid to ask questions prior to filing; it could save you a lot of time and money in the future.

Know What Tax Credits You Are Eligible For
In order to maximize your refund, you will need to know what tax credits you are eligible for. This is where having a solid understanding of the tax code comes in handy. Families with children are eligible for a number of tax credits, especially if they have a child in college or in daycare. Every year, the IRS reports lists of commonly overlooked tax deductions and credits. Some of these deductions include job-hunting costs, reinvested dividends and out-of-pocket charitable contributions. Plan ahead and make sure you are getting all the deductions and tax credits you deserve.

The Bottom Line
You can successfully file your own taxes when you do your homework. Having a good knowledge of the U.S. tax code, staying up-to-date with recent tax changes and knowing what deductions and tax credits you are eligible to receive are all effective ways to ensure tax filing success.

Related Articles
  1. Taxes

    What IRS Form 990 Tells About a Nonprofit

    Want a picture of an organization's activities? This annual form, open to the public, sums up everything from salaries paid to missions accomplished.
  2. Retirement

    The 3 Most Common 401k Rollover Mistakes

    No one is born knowing the tax rules for 401(k)s and IRAs, but only dummies, scaredy cats and suckers don't buckle down to learn them.
  3. Taxes

    Top Reasons to File Separately When Married

    Most of the time, it makes sense for couples to file their taxes jointly. Except for these possible exceptions...
  4. Taxes

    What IRS Form 1023 Is Used For

    To be treated as a tax-exempt organization, start by filling out this form.
  5. Taxes

    Late with Your Taxes? Grab IRS Form 4868

    Fill out this form to get a few more months to file your tax return. But remember, April 15 is still the payment due date if you owe taxes.
  6. Taxes

    What IRS Form 8949 Is For

    Selling a painting or that lake property? Disposing of your fossil fuel stocks? You need to know about this IRS form.
  7. Economics

    The Top 9 Things to Know About Hillary Clinton's Economic View

    Find out where former secretary of state and Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton stands on the economy, jobs, trade and education.
  8. Professionals

    Holding Out for Capital Gains Could Be a Mistake

    Holding stocks for the sole purpose of avoiding short-term capital gains taxes may be a mistake, especially if all the signs say get out.
  9. Retirement

    How do you calculate penalties on a 401(k) early withdrawal?

    Find out how to calculate the penalties on early withdrawals from your 401(k), including the impact of the additional 10% tax penalty, vesting and income tax.
  10. Savings

    A Look at the Cost and Tax Treatment of College

    Is there more we can do to improve the affordability of post-secondary education? We take a look at how students and colleges are taxed today.
  1. Section 1231 Property

    A tax term relating to depreciable business property that has ...
  2. Duty Free

    Goods that international travelers can purchase without paying ...
  3. Exchange-Traded Mutual Funds (ETMF)

    Investopedia explains the definition of exchange-traded mutual ...
  4. Tax Deductible Interest

    A borrowing expense that a taxpayer can claim on a federal or ...
  5. Guideline Premium And Corridor ...

    A test used to determine whether an insurance product can be ...
  6. Cash Value Accumulation Test (CVAT)

    A test method used to determine whether a financial product can ...
  1. Can I use my IRA savings to start my own savings?

    While there is no legal reason why you cannot withdraw funds from your IRA to start a traditional savings account, it is ... Read Full Answer >>
  2. Are spousal Social Security benefits taxable?

    Your spousal Social Security benefits may be taxable, depending on your total household income for the year. About one-third ... Read Full Answer >>
  3. What is the Social Security tax rate?

    The Social Security tax rate is 12.4% as of 2015. Of that amount, the employee is responsible for half, or 6.2%, and the ... Read Full Answer >>
  4. What is the Social Security administration responsible for?

    The main responsibility of the U.S. Social Security Administration, or SSA, is overseeing the country's Social Security program. ... Read Full Answer >>
  5. How is Social Security tax calculated?

    The Old-Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance program, or OASDI, tax is calculated by taking a set percentage of your income ... Read Full Answer >>
  6. Are my Social Security disability benefits taxable?

    Social Security disability benefits may be taxable if you receive other income that places you above a certain threshold. ... Read Full Answer >>

You May Also Like

Trading Center

You are using adblocking software

Want access to all of Investopedia? Add us to your “whitelist”
so you'll never miss a feature!