It's that time of year again. The holidays are over, winter has set in and your annual tax paperwork has begun arriving. Once you've gathered all the necessary information to file your tax returns, there are several options for filing your taxes for free. These free options are great, particularly if you have a simple return or just need a little extra help in filing your taxes.

SEE: The History Of Taxes In The U.S.

Prepare Them Yourself
Preparing your taxes by yourself is the least expensive method of filing. The IRS has an outstanding website where you can download any form(s) you might need, as well as instruction sheets. The site also has a "fill-in-forms" area if you are filing a simple return like the 1040EZ. While this area does add income, it will not calculate the return for you, nor does it do depreciation - those calculations are up to you.

You can also find most of the commonly used IRS forms at post offices, public libraries, senior centers, banks, credit unions and even some grocery stores.

Free Software and Free File
The IRS has teamed with a number of tax preparing services and software companies to provide free tax service for many Americans. Receiving free service means you must meet certain qualifications to be eligible such as earning less than $57,000 per year, being between the ages of 23 and 55 and other qualifiers. Each tax service has slightly different eligibility requirements. You'll need to visit their websites to see which one(s) might be right for you.

The below list of providers is working in conjunction with the IRS. Many of these providers had already offered free tax preparation for those filing an EZ form. If you need additional forms or are filing a more complex tax return, all of them offer additional services for a fee. (For more help filing your taxes, check out 10 Steps To Tax Preparation.)

In order to take advantage of the free file tax preparation services, you must begin your taxes through the IRS website or you won't receive the free filing services.

H&R Block
Free File IRS

VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance for Americans) is eligible to those who earned less than $50,000 last year. The volunteers are IRS-certified and give free basic tax preparation. VITA sites are usually at community centers, libraries, senior centers and shopping malls. Many VITA locations also offer free eFiling. To find a VITA site go to their website and simply type in your zip code. A list of VITA sites will be provided.

TCE - Tax Counseling for the Elderly
If you are aged 60 or older, you are eligible for assistance with your taxes from TCE. Volunteers who help with this program are well versed in taxes where pensions, social security and retirement issues are a priority. TCE is funded with grant money provided by the IRS. AARP has a link on its website to help find locations for TCE providers in your area.

Tax Aide Counseling
Part of the TCE program is Tax Aide Counseling and is provided to taxpayers over the age of 60 by AARP. The service is aimed at low-income seniors who need tax assistance or counseling. Visit their website at AARP Foundation or call 1-800-829-1040 for more information and locations of these service providers.

Military Assistance
Military One Source is partnered with H&R Block to provide tax filing services for members of the U.S. military. If you are military and interested in this service, you must begin your tax return at the Military One Source/H&R Block at Home site. You can also call a tax consultant at 1-800-342-9647.

The Bottom Line
There are many options available for free tax assistance. Links to all of the providers that have been certified and approved by the IRS can be found on their website. As with any service provider, take the necessary precautions when giving out vital information such as your social security number. Use only those providers approved by the IRS, and if you have any doubt as to the validity of a provider, call the IRS for verification 1-800-876-1715. (For help filing your taxes, read Personal Income Tax Guide.)

Related Articles
  1. Taxes

    What IRS Form 990 Tells About a Nonprofit

    Want a picture of an organization's activities? This annual form, open to the public, sums up everything from salaries paid to missions accomplished.
  2. Taxes

    Top Reasons to File Separately When Married

    Most of the time, it makes sense for couples to file their taxes jointly. Except for these possible exceptions...
  3. Taxes

    What IRS Form 1023 Is Used For

    To be treated as a tax-exempt organization, start by filling out this form.
  4. Taxes

    Late with Your Taxes? Grab IRS Form 4868

    Fill out this form to get a few more months to file your tax return. But remember, April 15 is still the payment due date if you owe taxes.
  5. Taxes

    What IRS Form 8949 Is For

    Selling a painting or that lake property? Disposing of your fossil fuel stocks? You need to know about this IRS form.
  6. Economics

    The Problem With Today’s Headline Economic Data

    Headwinds have kept the U.S. growth more moderate than in the past–including leverage levels and an aging population—and the latest GDP revisions prove it.
  7. Professionals

    Holding Out for Capital Gains Could Be a Mistake

    Holding stocks for the sole purpose of avoiding short-term capital gains taxes may be a mistake, especially if all the signs say get out.
  8. Taxes

    What's Wrong with the American Tax System

    American's are highly taxed and we still run a deficit. We explain why.
  9. Professionals

    Advisors: Warn Clients About These Audit Triggers

    There are several factors that may increase the risk of an audit, especially with high-net-worth clients.
  10. Professionals

    3 States Where Taxes Can Hammer Retirees

    Knowing which states ding retirees with the highest tax implications should be part of your retirement research.
  1. Duty Free

    Goods that international travelers can purchase without paying ...
  2. Tax Deductible Interest

    A borrowing expense that a taxpayer can claim on a federal or ...
  3. Deferred Tax Asset

    A deferred tax asset is an asset on a company's balance sheet ...
  4. Quid Pro Quo Contribution

    A charitable donation for which the donor receives something ...
  5. Readvanceable Mortgage

    A mortgage feature that allows the borrower to re-borrow the ...
  6. Buffett Rule

    A tax rule proposed in 2011, by President Barack Obama, stating ...
  1. Are spousal Social Security benefits taxable?

    Your spousal Social Security benefits may be taxable, depending on your total household income for the year. About one-third ... Read Full Answer >>
  2. How do you calculate penalties on an IRA or Roth IRA early withdrawal?

    With a few exceptions, early withdrawals from traditional or Roth IRAs generally incur a tax penalty equal to 10% of the ... Read Full Answer >>
  3. Are credit card rewards taxable?

    Credit card rewards are taxable in the United States some of the time. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) classifies credit ... Read Full Answer >>
  4. Are Social Security benefits taxable after age 62?

    Eligibility to collect Social Security benefits begins at age 62. Many seniors, to collect larger benefit amounts, wait until ... Read Full Answer >>
  5. What are the best free online calculators for calculating my taxable income?

    Free online calculators for determining your taxable income are located at, and Determining ... Read Full Answer >>
  6. In what instances does overhead qualify for certain tax allowances?

    Businesses are just as keen as anyone else to keep their tax burdens low by any means possible. Overhead expenses often qualify ... Read Full Answer >>

You May Also Like

Trading Center

You are using adblocking software

Want access to all of Investopedia? Add us to your “whitelist”
so you'll never miss a feature!