The most frequent reason taxpayers are contacted by the IRS is because they have overlooked some item reported to both them and to the IRS by third parties such as banks, brokers and pension payers. In 2008 the IRS and its computers generated 3.5 million letters to taxpayers proposing they pay an additional $6.4 billion in tax because some "information document" couldn't be reconciled with what they'd listed on their 1040s.

This year there are some special traps. But with a little extra effort, you can avoid receiving one of those annoying letters. (Even when they're wrong, straightening things out with the IRS

Forbes 2010 Tax Guide

Stimulus Creates New Tax Time Headaches

10 Things You Should Know About 1099s

can be time consuming.)

Watch out for bank consolidation.
With all the changes and consolidations of banks and brokers this past year, it's more important than ever to be sure you match all the accounts you reported to the IRS in prior years with the 1099s you've received this year.

Be on the watch for online financial institutions (such as ING (NYSE:ING) Direct and E*Trade Financial (Nasdaq:ETFC)) that provide your annual tax information electronically only - if at some point you've agreed to go paperless. If that's the case, you'll need to log on to your account and generate your own Form 1099 information documents.

Industry turmoil could also create problems with the 1098s issued by mortgage servicers. These forms should report the deductible home mortgage interest you paid as well as any real estate taxes paid through the mortgage company. If the company collecting your monthly mortgage payments has changed, you'd be well advised to match your own records against the totals from the multiple 1098s you might (or might not) receive. If you refinanced this past year, be on the alert; often, the initial lender sells the loan shortly after funding it, and your tax paperwork may be disrupted. (For tips on how to get prepared, see Last-Minute Tax Tips.)

It's a messy year for 1099-Rs.
Another information document that is causing more confusion this filing season than previously is Form 1099-R, which covers distributions from individual retirement accounts, pensions, annuities, retirement and profit-sharing plans. New IRS instructions for the 2009 form state: Generally box 2a should be left blank when reporting distributions from traditional or SEP IRAs…Box 2b, "Taxable amount not determined" should be checked.

Unfortunately, many people receiving this form are making the erroneous assumption that if the box is left blank it is an indication that the gross amount included in Box 1 is not taxable this year. This is especially confusing for those who received the same form last year with both the gross income and taxable income boxes containing entries.

In addition to the IRS' instruction changes, there are special situations where mistakes by the issuer of the 1099-R or by the taxpayer are more likely. Those include cases where funds are rolled over from one IRA to another or from an employer retirement plan to an IRA. Since the taxpayer "knows" the rollover or distribution is not taxable, the need to report the transaction is easy to overlook. But if you don't want to receive one of those troublesome IRS letters, report the gross distribution on line 15a of your 1040, but don't include it in the taxable amount shown on 15b. Write the word "rollover" on 15b.

It's not just taxpayers who make errors, however. If you've received a Form 1099-R, watch for the code in Box 7. The IRS provides explanations for codes "1" through "9" and "A" through "U". Code "1" stands for "Early Distribution, no known exception." The most frequent mistake I see issuers make is putting a code "1," when the taxpayer simply did an indirect roll-over of funds to another IRA account. In this case, you must fill out Form 5329, and on line 2 of the form enter code "12" to let the IRS know it is an error and no 10% penalty for early withdrawal applies.

A few additional 1099-R traps were created by special tax provisions in effect for 2009. Congress decided that for 2009 those who are 70.5 or older could skip taking the usual "required minimum distributions," from their IRAs. The IRS then allowed seniors who had already been sent RMDs to roll them back into their IRAs. If you got a 1099-R for a distribution you rolled back, the same rule applies. Don't ignore it. Report the gross distribution and then report that none of it is taxable.
Another problem affects older taxpayers who took advantage of a temporary provision which allowed them to donate money directly from their IRAs to a charity, without including the distribution in their income. There is no special code on Form 1099-R to indicate the money was sent to a charity, so it is up to the taxpayers to make sure they indicate on their Form 1040 that a "QCD" (qualified charitable donation) has been made from IRA funds. Do this by showing the total distributions in box 15a of Form 1040 and the amount less the QCD in box 15b. The IRS instructions indicate you must write QCD next to line 15b if this applies. I've yet to feel confident that the IRS can see such writing when the return is transmitted electronically, so if you made a QCD, file your return on paper.

Stock options and grants are a trip point.
Do you participate in an employee stock purchase plan or receive nonqualified stock options or restricted stock grants? Then pay attention. The value of the stock on date of exercise or vesting is included in your wages and reported to the IRS and to you on your W-2. But for you to benefit from the stock participation, the securities were sold through a brokerage that will report the gross proceeds to IRS on a 1099-B, Proceeds from Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions.

Thus your proceeds from the stock have been reported twice - once on your W-2 and once on a 1099-B. Don't ignore the 1099-B. You must report the stock sale on Schedule D to acknowledge the information reported to the IRS on the 1099-B. To avoid being doubly taxed, when completing your Schedule D, you add the stock value reported on you W-2 to the cost (or basis) of the shares at exercise or vesting.

Based on our experience with numerous companies offering stock-based compensation and using a variety of national brokerages as transfer agents, I have another warning: Do not assume the information you have received from the brokerage is complete or correct!Take the time to be sure you are reporting all transactions, using the correct stock basis, and reconciling both the W-2 and the 1099-B.

Related Articles
  1. Investing Basics

    Understanding How Dividends Are Taxed

    Learn how dividends are taxed by the IRS, and understand the different types of dividend income as well as the capital gains tax rates.
  2. Investing Basics

    6 Reasons Why Dividends Should Be Reinvested

    Learn about the advantages of dividend reinvestment programs and how they may benefit longer-term investors who want to build a position in a company.
  3. Retirement

    Retirement Planning for Entrepreneurs and Small Businesses

    If your business has receiveables, here's a smart way to leverage them to build up your retirement fund fast.
  4. Retirement

    Overhaul Social Security to Fix Retirement Shortfall

    There are several theories and ideas about how we can make up for the $6.6 trillion retirement savings shortfall in America. Adjustments to Social Security and our retirement savings plans are ...
  5. Taxes

    What IRS Form 990 Tells About a Nonprofit

    Want a picture of an organization's activities? This annual form, open to the public, sums up everything from salaries paid to missions accomplished.
  6. Taxes

    Top Reasons to File Separately When Married

    Most of the time, it makes sense for couples to file their taxes jointly. Except for these possible exceptions...
  7. Taxes

    What IRS Form 1023 Is Used For

    To be treated as a tax-exempt organization, start by filling out this form.
  8. Taxes

    Late with Your Taxes? Grab IRS Form 4868

    Fill out this form to get a few more months to file your tax return. But remember, April 15 is still the payment due date if you owe taxes.
  9. Investing News

    How Does US Social Security Measure Up Abroad?

    Social Security is a hotly debated topic. After examining the retirement plans of three different countries, the U.S.'s does not come out the winner.
  10. Taxes

    What IRS Form 8949 Is For

    Selling a painting or that lake property? Disposing of your fossil fuel stocks? You need to know about this IRS form.
  1. Duty Free

    Goods that international travelers can purchase without paying ...
  2. Qualified Longevity Annuity Contract

    A Qualified Longevity Annuity Contract (QLAC) is a deferred annuity ...
  3. See-Through Trust

    A trust that is treated as the beneficiary of an individual retirement ...
  4. Backdoor Roth IRA

    A method that taxpayers can use to place retirement savings in ...
  5. Tax Deductible Interest

    A borrowing expense that a taxpayer can claim on a federal or ...
  6. Current Service Benefit

    The amount of pension benefit accrued by an employee who had ...
  1. Can my IRA be garnished for child support?

    Though some states protect IRA savings from garnishment of any kind, most states lift this exemption in cases where the account ... Read Full Answer >>
  2. Can I use my IRA savings to start my own savings?

    While there is no legal reason why you cannot withdraw funds from your IRA to start a traditional savings account, it is ... Read Full Answer >>
  3. Can creditors garnish my IRA?

    Depending on the state where you live, your IRA may be garnished by a number of creditors. Unlike 401(k) plans or other qualified ... Read Full Answer >>
  4. How does an IRA grow over time?

    Individual retirement account, or IRA, growth depends on many factors, including what types of investments are included in ... Read Full Answer >>
  5. Are spousal Social Security benefits taxable?

    Your spousal Social Security benefits may be taxable, depending on your total household income for the year. About one-third ... Read Full Answer >>
  6. Can you buy penny stocks in an IRA?

    It is possible to trade penny stocks through an individual retirement accounts, or IRA. However, penny stocks are generally ... Read Full Answer >>

You May Also Like

Trading Center

You are using adblocking software

Want access to all of Investopedia? Add us to your “whitelist”
so you'll never miss a feature!