The 1099 form is a way to report certain non-payroll income to the IRS, and it is often used by contractors and investors. If you've never received one of these forms, then you need to prepare yourself for the possibility. However, if you have received a 1099 form before, then expect to see some changes in 2012.

SEE: Tax Tips For The Individual Investor

Many people receive the form 1099-B since it is sent when an investor sells a stock in a non-retirement account. In 2011, some changes were made to the 1099-B. One of the most important changes was the addition of Box 5, which asks your broker to report all disallowed losses based on a same or similar-CUSIP buy within 30-days preceding or following the loss sale.

The new 1099-B will also require brokers to report the adjusted cost basis on certain stock sales. While this will help many taxpayers more easily determine their gain and resulting tax liability, many others will find that their sold stocks were not considered "covered" and were, therefore, exempt from the requirement.

Some cancelled or forgiven debts are reportable on form 1099-C. This includes both credit card and mortgage debt that was canceled. If you receive a 1099-C after a short sale or foreclosure of your home, then the IRS will allow you to exclude the forgiven debt as long as it was created on your primary home because the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007 allows that for short sales and foreclosures through 2012.

If the canceled debt that prompted the 1099-C was from a credit card or other debt, then you may still be permitted to exclude it if you were forgiven due to bankruptcy or insolvency, or if it was a non-recourse loan.

Credit card and payment processors, such as Paypal, are being required to send a 1099-K for those who received $20,000 in gross payments and 200 payments over the course of a year. It's important to note that both of these qualifiers must be met in order to prompt a 1099-K. This policy was designed to crack down on businesses and individuals who are under-reporting their income earned online.

According to Paypal, only payments for goods and/or services are being counted. Therefore, if you use a single Paypal account for both business and personal transactions, these transactions will be segregated when it comes time to determine whether you need a 1099-K. Additionally, multiple accounts with the same tax identification number are being evaluated, so your cumulative totals across multiple accounts will be considered.

1099 For Frequent Flier Rewards
Generally, credit card rewards are considered to be rebates, which means they are not taxable. However, if you earn an incentive, or reward, for opening an account with a financial institution then you aren't spending any money on a purchase, so the reward can't be classified as a rebate and may be taxable if it meets a certain cost threshold.

Recently, Citibank has had to send 1099s to customers who opened an account with them and received airline miles as a reward. If you were one of those customers, then consider talking to your accountant about your tax liability.

The Bottom Line
It's not easy to do your taxes alone and navigate through the quagmire of 1099s. Exemptions and tax form changes do not make the process any easier. If you feel like your taxes are beyond your ability to report correctly, then get help with your taxes through a CPA or tax program, so you can be compliant and avoid problems later.

Related Articles
  1. Credit & Loans

    5 Signs a Reverse Mortgage Is a Bad Idea

    Here are the key situations when you should probably pass on this type of home loan.
  2. Credit & Loans

    5 Signs a Reverse Mortgage Is a Good Idea

    If these five criteria describe your situation, a reverse mortgage might be a good idea for you.
  3. Credit & Loans

    Guidelines for FHA Reverse Mortgages

    FHA guidelines protect borrowers from major mistakes, prevent lenders from taking advantage of borrowers and encourage lenders to offer reverse mortgages.
  4. Home & Auto

    The Pros and Cons of Owner Financing

    Details on the upside and risks of this type of deal for both the owner and the buyer.
  5. Mutual Funds & ETFs

    ETF Analysis: iShares US Real Estate

    Learn about the iShares US Real Estate fund, which holds shares of equity and nonequity real estate investment trusts incorporated in the United States.
  6. Credit & Loans

    Schedule Loan Repayments with Excel Formulas

    Calculate all the particulars of a loan using Excel, and set up a schedule of repayment for a mortgage or any other loan.
  7. Credit & Loans

    What Qualifies as a Nonperforming Asset?

    A nonperforming asset is a loan made by a financial institution to a borrower who has failed to make any scheduled payments for at least 90 days.
  8. Credit & Loans

    Avoiding Red Flags with Online Mortgage Lenders

    Using an online mortgage lender can be convenient, but how do you know you can trust one? Follow these tips to make sure the lender is legit.
  9. Credit & Loans

    How To Boost Your Credit Score To Save Thousands

    One of the first steps you should follow before buying a home is to boost your credit score. And how do you do that? Here, we tell you how.
  10. Home & Auto

    Comparing Reverse Mortgages vs. Forward Mortgages

    Which one a homeowner chooses depends on where you are at this point in your life, personally and financially.
  1. Equity

    The value of an asset less the value of all liabilities on that ...
  2. Chattel Mortgage Non-Filing Insurance

    An insurance policy covering losses that result from a policyholder ...
  3. Zombie Foreclosure

    A situation (or a home in this situation) that occurs when a ...
  4. Deficiency Balance

    The amount owed to a creditor if the sale proceeds from the collateral ...
  5. Total Annual Loan Cost (TALC)

    The projected total cost that a reverse mortgage holder should ...
  6. Forbearance

    A temporary postponement of mortgage payments.
  1. What is the difference between "closed end credit" and a "line of credit?"

    Depending on the need, an individual or business may take out a form of credit that is either open- or closed-ended. While ... Read Full Answer >>
  2. In what instances does a business use closed end credit?

    The most common types of closed-end credit used by both businesses and individuals are mortgages and auto loans. Businesses ... Read Full Answer >>
  3. What are the long-term effects of delinquent accounts?

    Delinquency occurs when borrowers fail to make payments on their loans. All loan borrowers should do their best to avoid ... Read Full Answer >>
  4. How was the American Dream impacted by the housing market collapse in 2008?

    The American Dream was seriously damaged by the housing market collapse in 2008. In many ways, the American Dream is a self-fulfilling ... Read Full Answer >>
  5. How much risk is associated with subprime mortgages?

    A large amount of risk is associated with subprime mortgages. Since the mortgages are specifically for people who do not ... Read Full Answer >>
  6. What are the financial consequences of filing for bankruptcy?

    The financial consequences of filing for bankruptcy are substantial and can be long-lasting. They include impacts on your ... Read Full Answer >>

You May Also Like

Trading Center

You are using adblocking software

Want access to all of Investopedia? Add us to your “whitelist”
so you'll never miss a feature!