The word "barter" has traditionally invoked nostalgic and folksy stories of neighbors helping to fix roofs in exchange for a hot meal. While this type of personal trade of services certainly still occurs, the formal practice of bartering is popular among businesses, as well. The Ormita Commerce Network, a recognized global trade franchise, estimates that approximately 70% of all Fortune 500 companies barter on a regular basis, totaling billions in official non-cash exchanges each year.

Whether you're an individual with a talent to share or a small business with a service to lend, the IRS wants to know about it; here are the basics to know about reporting your bartering activities on your annual tax forms.

What's a Barter?
Simply put, bartering is an exchange of goods or services that have equal value; cash may or may not be added to the exchange to even out the trade. Both individuals and companies can barter, and you may decide to do the trade independently, or through one of several reputable barter and exchange companies. These types of programs allow you to purchase or trade for credits – a sort of alternate currency – which can then be redeemed for the products and services of your choosing.

Is Bartering Taxable?
It sure is. According to Scott Estill, a former senior IRS trial attorney and the author of "Tax This! An Insider's Guide To Standing Up To The IRS," casual exchanges between non-commercial parties for similar services is usually not taxable. Offering to cut a neighbor's grass while they are on vacation in exchange for the same, for example, won't trigger a tax consequence (the key to this that you are both non-business parties, and the value is nearly identical.). When businesses venture into the same waters, especially with products and services that they would normally profit from, the obligation to cut the IRS into the action can occur.

How is Bartering Reported?
The IRS gives you all the information a good tax-paying citizen needs to know with the IRS Publication 525, but it essentially states this:

Barter exchanges, both online and in person, need to be reported on Form 1099-B, unless they occur through a barter exchange with less than 100 transactions during the year, are done with an exempt foreign person (as defined by the IRS), and involve property or services less than $1.

A further reading of the materials brings up several scenarios where reporting would need to be done on your typical forms for reporting income (for example, Schedule C, if you are self-employed.). Scott explains it this way: Basically, barter income takes the place of cash, so however the cash would have been reported will also control how the barter income will be recorded. So, if the extra income would need to be reported as earned income or capital gain income, it would be reported as such.

SEE: Earn Tax-Free Income

How Is the Value Determined?
Both parties involved in the transaction will need to determine the value of the exchange. Usually, fair market value is used, and it is defined as a "value that a willing buyer under no duress would pay and a willing seller under no duress would sell for the property or service(s) involved in the barter transaction," says Scott. Remember that the values need to be equal for a true barter exchange.

Are All Barters Taxable?
As mentioned before, many barter situations may not be taxable (the lawn mowing scenario, for example), especially if you are acting independently of a business. When goods, in particular, are exchanged, it may not be considered bartering at all. If two parties trade computers of equal value, for example, this may not be taxable – especially if neither party is in the business of selling computers.

The Bottom Line
Despite the potential for triggering income tax, bartering is still a sound option for many businesses. As the economy remains sluggish, companies may find these types of exchanges to be a great way to move inventory and rid themselves of the bloat that may have occurred during the past few years. Anyone interested in making a significant number of barter exchanges, however, is advised to seek the advice of a tax professional.

Related Articles
  1. Insurance

    Medicare 101: Do You Need All 4 Parts?

    Medicare is the United States’ health insurance program for those over age 65. Medicare has four parts, but you might not need them all.
  2. Taxes

    The Purpose Of The W-9 Form

    The W-9 form provides key data your clients need if you're an independent contractor. Just be sure you're not really an employee who should fill out a W-4.
  3. Taxes

    Revisiting the Internet Sales Tax Bill: 2013 Vs. 2015

    Learn about the Marketplace Fairness Act of 2015 being reviewed by congress and the differences between it and the 2013 Marketplace Fairness Act.
  4. Economics

    Understanding Donald Trump's Stance on China

    Find out why China bothers Donald Trump so much, and why the 2016 Republican presidential candidate argues for a return to protectionist trade policies.
  5. Economics

    Will Putin Ever Leave Office?

    Find out when, or if, Russian President Vladimir Putin will ever relinquish control over the Russian government, and whether it matters.
  6. Investing Basics

    Internet Sales Tax's Effect on Interstate Commerce

    Find out how a national Internet sales tax could affect interstate commerce, and why some bigger online retailers are lobbying for such a tax.
  7. Taxes

    10 Money-Saving Year-End Tax Tips

    Getting organized well before the deadline will curb your frustration and your tax liability.
  8. Markets

    Will Paris Attacks Undo the European Union Dream?

    Last Friday's attacks in Paris are transforming the migrant crisis into an EU security threat, which could undermine the European Union dream.
  9. Taxes

    End-of-the-Year Checklist to Save on Income Taxes

    From grouping related expenses to factoring in the alternative minimum tax, here are some things you need to keep in mind when doing tax planning.
  10. Savings

    The Worst Financial Problems Ultra-High-Net-Worth-Individuals (UHNWIs) Face

    Understand how the problems of ultra-high-net-worth individuals (UHNWIs) are different from ordinary problems, and identify the unique financial challenges they face.
  1. How and where is revenue recognized from barter transactions?

    Not all transactions of goods or services involve a monetary medium, such as dollars. Sometimes, companies exchange saleable ... Read Full Answer >>
  2. Are barter transactions taxable?

    The Internal Revenue Service treats bartering as a form of business revenue and something that must be reported as taxable ... Read Full Answer >>
  3. Are personal loans tax deductible?

    Interest paid on personal loans is not tax deductible. If you take out a loan to buy a car for personal use or to cover other ... Read Full Answer >>
  4. Does a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) cover braces?

    Funds from a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) can be used to cover costs associated with installing, maintaining and removing ... Read Full Answer >>
  5. Does QVC charge sales tax?

    QVC, an American TV network, is registered with states to collect sales or use tax on taxable items. QVC is also required ... Read Full Answer >>
  6. Does a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) cover glasses?

    The funds in a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) can be used to cover most common medical expenses; this includes the cost ... Read Full Answer >>

You May Also Like

Trading Center