It happens every year. One-fifth of all taxpayers wait until the week before the April 15 deadline to prepare their 1040s. "It's human nature," says Robert Meighan, a CPA and vice president of Intuit's TurboTax division. "People don't even start a week before. They start three days before."

Moreover, the ranks of tax procrastinators seem to be swelled this year by other factors. Taxpayers have been receiving some of their key forms, such as 1099-Bs from brokers, later than normal, complains Claudia Hill, editor of the Journal of Tax Practice &

7 Reasons To E-File Your Tax Return

The Other April 15 Tax Return

Forbes 2010 Tax Guide


and president of TaxMam in Cupertino, Calif. "We are still getting revised 1099s,'' she reported earlier this week.

Plus, after Congress ordered withholding tables changed to advance taxpayers the "Making Work Pay" credit, some workers, particularly two-earner couples, had too little withheld from their paychecks and may have delayed filing because they owe more, says Martha O'Gorman of Liberty Tax Services. Her chain, with 3,200 owned and franchised U.S. outlets, has observed a somewhat later-than-normal filing season.

If, for whatever reason, you're one of the late-starters, here are answers to some questions you may have.

Is e-filing at the last minute risky?
One advantage of filing your return electronically is that the IRS, before "accepting" it, screens it for some common mistakes, such as bad Social Security numbers and invalid ZIP codes. Better to catch a mistake at filing than to have to deal with IRS problems later. (For more on e-filing, see Should You File Taxes For Free?)

But what happens if you file at the last minute and your return bounces back? Have you missed the deadline, possibly subjecting yourself to late filing penalties? No. According to IRS spokesman Bruce Friedland, you have five days after being notified that your return has been rejected to fix whatever you got wrong and resubmit it. So if your return is rejected by the IRS computers on April 15, you have until April 20 to find and fix the mistake.

What if you can't finish your 1040 on time?
Then you're not alone. The IRS doesn't much care so long as you pay on time any tax due. The IRS expects nearly 10 million taxpayers will file a Form 4868 extension this year, which automatically buys them an extra six months to complete their 1040s. You can print out a 4868 at and mail it in or file electronically (for free through FreeFile if your adjusted gross income was $57,000 or below in 2009 or through the IRS "fillable forms" systems if it's above that.) (For more on this, see Get A Six-Month Tax Extension.)

TurboTax offers a $9.95 service that helps you estimate what you owe and electronically file the 4868. Liberty Tax will prepare and submit a 4868 for free, gambling that you'll come in later for the official paid 1040 service. (Its average fees for 1040 preparation: $200.)

What the 4868 won't buy you, however, is extra time to ante up your estimated final tax liability. If you file a 1040 or a 4868 and don't pay 100% of what you ultimately owe, you'll be assessed a penalty of 0.5% a month on the unpaid balance. Still, that's just one-tenth of the 5%-a-month penalty you'd owe for not filing either a 1040 or a Form 4868 by April 15, points out Mark Luscombe, principal federal tax analyst at CCH, a Wolters Kluwer (NYSE:WTKWY) business. (Both penalties top out at 25% of the amount due and are in addition to interest on your unpaid balance.)

You can pay by check (sent to a special address), via credit card (although the user fees are high), with a debit card or through electronic funds transfer. The IRS' website - but not its phone service - gets better each year; it sets out your electronic payment options here.

Among those taxpayers who may want to seek an extension, says Luscombe, are those who plan to claim the $8,000 refundable tax credit for first-time home buyers, or the $6,500 credit for long-time homeowners who buy a new house. If you have a binding agreement to close on a house before May 1, 2010, and do so before July 1, you can claim the credit for 2009 - but not until the closing is complete and the required paperwork (including a Form HUD 1, Settlement Statement) is mailed off to the IRS. Be prepared for delays in the processing of your claims.

While extensions are now routine, some taxpayers are afraid to request them, worrying the request will somehow flag them for an audit. Tax pros heartily disagree. "Personally I always do my return after April 15,'' Hill says. Meighan, too, is requesting an extension.

What if you can't pay on time?
The IRS has made it easy - but not exactly cheap - to set up an installment payment agreement. If you owe $25,000 or less, you can apply online for an installment deal. When you apply, you propose payment terms, which the IRS can change or even turn down. By law, however, it must grant you an installment plan if you owe under $10,000, have filed and paid your taxes on time for the previous five years, show you can pay the full amount within three years and are having the proper amount withheld from your paycheck. Alternately, you can request a plan by attaching Form 9465 to your 1040. (For more insight, read Form 9465: Don't Pay Your Back Taxes Without It.)

Don't propose - or agree to - a plan you know you can't live up to. According to a recent report form the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration, the IRS has been allowing taxpayers to miss two installment payments in a year before beginning collection actions, such as slapping a lien on their property. But that isn't something you want to test out yourself.

Plus, you can apply for a partial-payment installment agreement, granted at the IRS' discretion.

In addition to the 0.5%-a-month late payment penalty and normal interest, the IRS charges $105 to set up an installment plan, or $52 if you agree to have the money directly debited from your checking account. In fact, if you only need a little time to scare up the cash, you may be better off asking the IRS for a short-term payment extension, which carries no fees and gives you up to 120 days to pay in full. You can apply online here, and should hear back from the IRS within 10 days. But getting this one isn't automatic.

Are there any exceptions to the April 15 deadline?
Yes, including for members of the military. Those serving in a combat zone (or hospitalized for a combat zone injury) have 180 days after leaving that zone or the hospital to file, with no interest or penalties levied should they owe more. Other service members on duty outside the U.S. have until June 15 to file, but if they have a balance due they'll have to pay interest from April 15 on.

Taxpayers who live in (or keep their records in) certain recently declared federal natural disaster areas also get extra time. For example, residents of parts of New Jersey, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and West Virginia that experienced severe March storms and flooding have until May 11 to file their 1040s or requests for automatic extensions, without penalty.

Related Articles
  1. Economics

    Understanding Cost-Volume Profit Analysis

    Business managers use cost-volume profit analysis to gauge the profitability of their company’s products or services.
  2. Fundamental Analysis

    5 Must-Have Metrics For Value Investors

    Focusing on certain fundamental metrics is the best way for value investors to cash in gains. Here are the most important metrics to know.
  3. Investing Basics

    How to Analyze a Company's Inventory

    Discover how to analyze a company's inventory by understanding different types of inventory and doing a quantitative and qualitative assessment of inventory.
  4. Professionals

    A Day In The Life Of A Public Accountant

    Here's an inside look at the workdays of two experienced CPAs, to give you an idea of what it might be like to pursue a career as a public accountant.
  5. Professionals

    A Day in the Life of a Public Accountant

    There’s no typical day in the life of a public accountant, but one accountant’s experience may shed some light on what the career entails.
  6. Investing Basics

    Analyze Cash Flow The Easy Way

    Cash flow statements reveal how a company spends its money and where that money comes from.
  7. Economics

    What is a Trade Credit?

    Trade credit means that a customer purchases goods from a seller who allows the purchaser to pay for those goods at a later time.
  8. Investing Basics

    5 Tips For Reading A Balance Sheet

    If you know how to read it, the balance sheet provides valuable information on a potential investment.
  9. Executive Compensation

    Accounting Research Manager: Career Path & Qualifications

    Discover the basic responsibilities of an accounting research manager, the path this career usually takes and the qualifications needed for this career.
  10. Economics

    What are Receivables?

    Receivables are debts, transactions or other obligations owed to a company by its debtors or customers.
  1. Are personal loans tax deductible?

    Interest paid on personal loans is not tax deductible. If you take out a loan to buy a car for personal use or to cover other ... Read Full Answer >>
  2. Can working capital be depreciated?

    Working capital as current assets cannot be depreciated the way long-term, fixed assets are. In accounting, depreciation ... Read Full Answer >>
  3. Do working capital funds expire?

    While working capital funds do not expire, the working capital figure does change over time. This is because it is calculated ... Read Full Answer >>
  4. Are tax shelters legal in Canada?

    Most tax shelters are legal in Canada. However, there have been illegal tax shelter scams that the Canada Revenue Agency ... Read Full Answer >>
  5. How much working capital does a small business need?

    The amount of working capital a small business needs to run smoothly depends largely on the type of business, its operating ... Read Full Answer >>
  6. What does high working capital say about a company's financial prospects?

    If a company has high working capital, it has more than enough liquid funds to meet its short-term obligations. Working capital, ... Read Full Answer >>
Trading Center