While most individuals are aware of the tax benefits available for taking care of their minor children, many are unaware that some of these benefits are available for taking care of adults. In some cases, these benefits extend to adults who are not your spouse. If you are one of the increasing numbers of individuals who have opened up your home to other adults, you may find the following tips helpful.
Eligible Adults
The adults for whom you can claim some tax benefits are not limited to your spouse and children. In fact, you may be able to claim tax benefits for your parents, your in-laws, friends or other non-relative individuals who you have supported during the year. Of course, the IRS has a set of specific requirements that must be met in order for you to receive any tax benefits for taking care of these individuals.

The IRS allows an exemption of $3,700 for each dependent for which you can claim on your tax return and reduce your taxable income. The following are some of the requirements that must be met, in order for you to be eligible to claim someone who is not your child as a dependent:

  • You (and/or your spouse if you filed a joint tax return) must not be claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • You cannot claim someone as a dependent if that person is married and files a joint tax return, except in cases where the return is filed for the sole purpose of a tax refund and there would be no tax liability for that person and his or her spouse on separate returns.
  • Your dependent must be a qualifying relative, as defined by the IRS.
  • The person cannot be a 'qualifying child' of another taxpayer or your 'qualifying child.'
  • The person must either (a) have lived with you for the entire year or (b) meets the IRS' definition of "Relatives who do not have to live with you."
  • The person's gross income for the year must be less than $3,700, unless an exception applies.
  • You must have provided more than 50% of the person's total financial support for the year.
  • The person is not your maid, housekeeper or servant.
  • In addition, the person must be a U.S. Citizen, resident alien, U.S. National, Canadian resident or Mexican resident, unless an exception applies.

Dependent Care Tax Credit
You may be able to claim a tax credit for up to 35% of your dependent's care expenses, if the expenses were paid so that you could work or look for work. For individuals other than your qualifying child or spouse, the person must not have been physically or mentally able to care for himself or herself, lived with you for more than half the year and either: (a) was your dependent, or (b) would have been your dependent except that:

  • He or she received a gross income of $3,700 or more.
  • He or she filed a joint return.
  • You, or your spouse if filing jointly, could be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return for the year.

Tax Filing Status
Your tax filing status is used for purposes such as determining if you are required to file a tax return based on your income for the year, and the amount of income tax that you will owe (or tax refund you will receive). If you are single, you can use a more tax favorable filing status as head-of-household if you meet certain requirements.

The Bottom Line
These are just a few of the tax benefits available for individuals who take care of other adults. Bear in mind that these explanations are high level and other requirements may need to be met, or exceptions may apply. Consult with a tax professional regarding these provisions and your eligibility.

Related Articles
  1. Retirement

    What to Do When Your Doctor Doesn't Take Medicare

    Stay and pay the full fee? Cut and run to another provider? Five ways to cope when Medicare threatens to break up you and your medico.
  2. Taxes

    The 5 Countries Without Income Taxes

    Discover information on some of the best countries to consider relocating to that offer the financial benefit of charging no income tax.
  3. Personal Finance

    Top Resorts for Multigenerational Family Vacations

    After a week at one of these resorts that cater to families of all ages, you might swear off those exhausting road trips to Grandma’s for good.
  4. Budgeting

    6 Cost-Effective Tips for Raising Your First Child

    The excitement of welcoming your first child to your family shouldn't prevent you from making good cost-effective decisions.
  5. Budgeting

    7 Kids Items You Should Never Buy Used

    Buying secondhand items is a great way to save money, but these seven kids items should not be bought used.
  6. Taxes

    Tax Haven Vs. Tax Shelters: Is There a Difference?

    Learn about the difference between tax havens and tax shelters, and how both are used to reduce tax liability or avoid paying taxes altogether.
  7. Savings

    The Top Seven 529 Plans for 2015

    With so many choices and so many features (tax advantages, fees, annualized returns) to consider, it's hard to know which 529 plan to choose. Here's help.
  8. Personal Finance

    Divorce Planning Checklist: What You Need to Know

    Divorce can be costly and hard if you don't plan for it. Making sure you have all your ducks in order will go a long way in easing the pain.
  9. Economics

    Explaining Fair Market Value

    Fair market value is the price at which a buyer and seller are willing to exchange a good.
  10. Taxes

    4 Reasons Why Delaware Is Considered a Tax Shelter

    Understand what a tax shelter is and how one is normally created. Learn about Delaware and the top five reasons why it's considered a tax shelter.
  1. Why is the Cayman Islands considered a tax haven?

    The Cayman Islands is one of the most well-known tax havens in the world. Unlike most countries, the Cayman Islands does ... Read Full Answer >>
  2. Why is Luxembourg considered a tax haven?

    Luxembourg has been the tax haven of choice for many corporations and mega-rich individuals around the world since the 197 ... Read Full Answer >>
  3. Why is Panama considered a tax haven?

    The Republic of Panama is considered one of the most well-established pure tax havens in the Caribbean due to extensive legislation ... Read Full Answer >>
  4. Why is Andorra considered a tax haven?

    Andorra is one of many locations around the globe considered a tax haven because of its relatively lenient tax laws. However, ... Read Full Answer >>
  5. Do financial advisors prepare tax returns for clients?

    Financial advisors engage in a wide variety of financial areas, including tax return preparation and tax planning for their ... Read Full Answer >>
  6. What are the best free online calculators for calculating my taxable income?

    Free online calculators for determining your taxable income are located at Bankrate.com, TaxACT.com and Moneychimp.com. Determining ... Read Full Answer >>

You May Also Like

Trading Center
You are using adblocking software

Want access to all of Investopedia? Add us to your “whitelist”
so you'll never miss a feature!