Did you know that many moving expenses are tax deductible? If you meet specific criteria outlined in "5 Situations Where You Can Write Off Moving Expenses," you can deduct nearly every expense related to moving.
TUTORIAL: Personal Income Tax Guide
In order to claim deductions accurately, keep careful records. You should include receipts for packing and moving costs, gas and toll receipts, and mileage records for your car. This checklist will help you make sure you don't forget any deductible moving expenses.
- Gas and tolls for your car if you drive to your new home location
- Oil and other fluids, along with general maintenance for the car, incurred prior to or as a result of the move
- You can deduct the standard mileage deduction of 16.5 cents per mile
- Costs of a rental truck or van in a do-it-yourself move
- Hotels or lodging on your travel route
- Lodging expenses near your former home within one day of your move
- Cost of plane tickets if you're flying to your own home, including any baggage expenses incurred
- Costs to transport your car to your new home
- Costs to transport pets to your new home (whether by air or car)
- The costs of packing materials for your household goods, including protective wrap, boxes and tape
- The cost of movers if you've hired a moving company
- Moving insurance
- Costs to move items from a third location to your new home, up to the amount it would have cost to move them from your home.
- Storage and insurance costs for household goods and personal effects for any period of 30 consecutive days after they are moved from your old home and before they are delivered to your new home
- Any costs associated with connecting or disconnecting utilities as a result of the move
Non-Deductible Moving Expenses
According to the Internal Revenue Service, you cannot deduct the following moving expenses:
- Gas and tolls or mileage for excursions you make that take you off the most direct route to your new location
- Hotel expenses incurred as a result of detours or stop-overs
- Meals related to the travel or the move
- The cost of moving furniture purchased specifically for your new home (i.e., delivery costs for furniture delivered straight to your new home)
- Expenses reimbursed by your employer as part of a relocation package
Personal FinanceCompare prices for non-refundable and refundable airline fares for five of the United States' most popular airlines, and learn about varying cancellation fees.
ProfessionalsL.A.'s dining scene is full of celebrities, but these impress-your-client spots offer better a mix of exquisite fare and power-lunchers.
Stock AnalysisHertz did everything it could to be the industry leader, but rising competition and external factors are creating headwinds.
Stock AnalysisPriceline has delivered a cumulative return north of 220% over the past five years, but the next five years is likely to paint a different picture.
Personal FinanceAlthough the Filipino archipelago is pretty divine, you don't want your holiday washed out by the rainy season. Here's a handy calendar listing the ideal months to visit.
Personal FinanceLooking to wine and dine clients in Chicago? These seven spots should be on your short list.
InvestingHow to leverage the online community and technology to create a one of a kind travel experience that's economical.
SavingsThe airline recently said that it would be upgrading some of its best passengers to private flights. How can you get on that list?
EntrepreneurshipLearn about AirHelp's business model and monetization strategy. Discover how it can quickly submit claims for your airline delays on your behalf.
Personal FinanceThese sites can help you get the flights and destinations you desire – and sometimes, even just a seat instead of a whole plane.
The frequency with which a financial advisor needs to travel varies according to numerous factors, such as the size and location ... Read Full Answer >>
Among the most common expenses and business deductions for small businesses are the expenses of getting the business started, ... Read Full Answer >>
The two best emerging markets for investing in the aerospace sector are China and India. Both countries have a rapidly expanding ... Read Full Answer >>