- USDOLLAR Just below key resistance ahead of NFPs
- EURAUD, AUDNZD setups poised heading into August trade
- Updated targets & invalidation levels
EURAUD Daily Chart
Chart Created Using FXCM Marketscope 2.0
- EURAUD Completing Head & Shoulders Objectives
- Support at 1.4216, 1.4140/66- bullish invalidation
- Resistance objectives 1.44, 1.4593, 1.4706, 1.4845
- Daily RSI divergence, resistance trigger pending- bullish
- Event Risk Ahead: RBA on the August 5th, Unemployment on the 6th
Notes:The pair has already taken out two of our topside targets noted on last week’s report and the focus remains on the 1.44-handle heading into August trade. Our outlook remains unchanged- “Bottom line: Look for favorable long entries over the next few days while above 1.4140/66 with a breach above 1.44 offering further conviction on a near-term reversal. A break / close below key support invalidate this particular setup with such a scenario putting the larger trend off the yearly high back into focus eyeing initial targets at the November low (1.4050).”
Key resistance remains at confluence of the July high, the 61.8% extension off the May high and the 50% retracement of the decline off the April highs at 1.4592 – 1.4609. A breach/close above this region suggests that a more significant low was put in this month with such a scenario eyeing subsequent resistance targets into the 200-DMA around 1.4850.
EURAUD Scalp Report – (Scalp targets unchanged)
AUDNZD Monthly Chart
AUDNZD Daily Chart
- AUDNZD fails at critical resistance / 2014 highs range 1.1028/35
- Breach targets topside resistance objectives at 1.1100, 1.1163, 1.1200
- Outside monthly reversal candle- bullish / complacency
- Key near-term support 1.0882-1.0906, 1.0832- bullish invalidation
- Daily RSI trigger 70 break- near-term bearish
- Event Risk Ahead: RBA & New Zealand Unemployment on the August 5th, Australian Unemployment on the 6th
Notes: The broader 1.0650 – 1.1035 range seen since April is back in view and our attention now turns to the August opening range after failing to break through key resistance earlier this week. An outside monthly reversal candle could suggest that the pair is poised for further gains or that we may remain within a period of consolidation as traders seem complacent to play this defined region.
That said, the immediate focus is against 1.1035 with an early/mid-August low likely to offer favorable long opportunities. It’s important to note that at the end of the day the pair remains within the confines of a broad ascending channel formation and until we break out of it, we need to trade it as such. We’ll utilize the 1.0880- 1.0906 pivot range heading into the start of August with only a break below 1.0832 (July ORH & 50% Retracement) shifting our focus towards channel support off the yearly low.
AUDNZD Scalp Report - (Scalp targets unchanged)
USDOLLAR Monthly Chart
USDOLLAR Daily Chart
- USDOLLAR struggles ahead of key resistance 10,562/64
- Breach targets topside resistance objectives at 10,611 & 10,672
- Outside reversal month off key support - bullish
- Support at form 2013 TL resistance, 10,461/73- bullish invalidation
- First daily RSI 70-breach this year- constructive
- Event Risk Ahead: Non-Farm Payroll (NFPs) tomorrow
Notes: This month’s outside reversal candle off key multi-month support bodes well for the greenback as we head into August trade. Note that prior to July, the index had not surpassed a previous month’s high since January with this week’s rally taking out trendline resistance dating back to the 2013 high. Our base case scenario is that the dollar put in a significant low in the index this month and our focus medium-term focus remains weighted to the topside while above 10,461/73.
In the near-term, the greenback looks vulnerable as the index loses steam just ahead of key resistance at 10,562/64. Look for a possible exhaustion high tomorrow on the back of the US employment report with pullback likely to offer favorable long entries deeper into August trade. Bottom line: we’ll look for the monthly opening range to offer guidance while noting a general bias towards the long-side while above 10,461 with a breach above 10,564 opening up subsequent topside resistance objectives.
Follow the progress of this trade setup and more throughout the trading week with DailyFX on Demand.
* It’s extremely important to give added consideration regarding the timing of intra-day scalps with the opening ranges on a session & hourly basis offering further clarity on intra-day biases.
Other Setups in Play:
- NZDCAD Testing Range Support Ahead of RBNZ- 9295 Key
- GBPJPY Eyes Major Inflection Zone- Weekly Opening Range in Focus
- NZDJPY Reversal Underway- Scalps Target Key Support at 88.20
- GBPUSD Posts Outside Reversal Off Key Support- Bullish Above 1.7065
- NZDUSD Opening Range Setup- Rally Vulnerable Sub 8850
- AUDUSD July Range Targets Key Support- Shorts Favored Sub 9440
- EURUSD July Opening Range Play- Shorts Favored Sub 1.37
InvestingWhile stocks have rallied since the economic recovery in 2009, many active portfolio managers have struggled to deliver investor returns in excess.
Chart AdvisorThere has been lots of hype around the IPO market lately. We'll take a look at whether now is the time to buy.
Chart AdvisorCopper prices have been under pressure lately and based on these charts it doesn't seem that it will reverse any time soon.
Mutual Funds & ETFsLearn about the differences between Vanguard's mutual fund and ETF products, and discover which may be more appropriate for investors.
Mutual Funds & ETFsLearn about the difference between using mutual funds versus ETFs for retirement, including which investment strategies and goals are best served by each.
Mutual Funds & ETFsLearn about reinvesting ETF dividends, including the benefits and drawbacks of dividend reinvestment plans (DRIPs) and manual reinvestment.
Mutual Funds & ETFsDiscover the three Vanguard funds tracking the S&P 500 Index, and learn about the characteristics and historical statistics of these funds.
Forex FundamentalsDiscover the different options that are available to investors who want to obtain exposure to the Chinese yuan, including ETFs and ETNs.
Mutual Funds & ETFsLow expense ratios are a big selling point for ETFs, but are they being focused on too much?
Chart AdvisorFalling lumber prices and weakness on the charts of home builders suggest that the next leg of the trend could be downward.
Mutual funds, when compared to other types of pooled investments such as hedge funds, have very strict regulations. In fact, ... Read Full Answer >>
Exchange-traded funds (ETFs) can generate capital gains that are transferred to shareholders, typically once a year, triggering ... Read Full Answer >>
A hedge fund is a type of investment vehicle and business structure that aggregates capital from multiple investors and invests ... Read Full Answer >>
While some Vanguard exchange-traded funds (ETFs) are available commission-free from third-party brokers, a large portion ... Read Full Answer >>
Vanguard completely waives any U.S. dollar minimum amounts to buy its exchange-traded funds (ETFs), and the minimum ETF investment ... Read Full Answer >>
Mutual fund expense ratios cannot be negative. An expense ratio is the sum total of all fees charged by an asset management ... Read Full Answer >>