Tax season can either be a blessing or a curse. Some will see their money go, while others will get a well-deserved windfall back from the government. In the case of independent contractors, who are different than employees, there are several built-in setbacks that come with the territory, including:

  • No sick days
  • No vacation hours
  • No health insurance
  • No worker's compensation
  • No retirement, pension, and unemployment benefits
  • No eligibility for overtime pay

However, there are deductions that contractors can write off, decreasing their taxable income and by extension, how much they will be taxed. The following are deductions independent contractors can write off, employees can write off, and a few that overlap.


Independent contractors are defined by the IRS as self-employed individuals providing services to businesses, who have the right to "control or direct only the result of the work and not what will be done and how will it be done."

Contractors are subject to different tax rules than regular employees in a number of ways. For instance, employees split the cost of payroll taxes for Social Security and Medicare with their employer, each paying 7.65 percent of the employee's eligible wages. However, a contractor is technically considered both the employer and employee, and must pay both halves, 15.3 percent in total. The silver lining is that there are several tax deductions they can claim to minimize how big a chunk the government takes back in taxes.

Home office: As a contractor, you most likely use a portion of your home or a separate structure to conduct your business or meet with clients. This space must solely be used for business purposes, as the IRS has become very strict with what counts as an office. You are entitled to claim deductions for this space and expenses that may include real estate taxes, mortgage interest, utilities, insurance, painting, rent, repairs and depreciation, and this write-off can be claimed on Form 8829 and deducted on Schedule C.

Moving expenses: You can deduct a portion of your moving expenses from your taxable income if you move your work space at least 50 miles farther away than your old space. As a contractor, you must be employed full-time for at least 78 weeks for the next 24 months after the move to deduct these expenses. Moving expenses include packing and shipping costs, travel to your new space, hotel rooms, disconnecting and reconnecting utilities, and up to 30 days of storage.

Meals and Entertaining expenses: This is another categorization of costs the IRS is stringent about. Uncle Sam stipulates that the setting must be conducive to conducting business, and it has to show. For instance, an individual who tried to write off tickets to a baseball game was rejected because the IRS states that the volume levels of a baseball stadium don't allow for "comprehensive business discussion."

Interestingly, if you throw a business party with a mix of employees and spouses, you can deduct 100 percent of the cost. However, if it is only for clients, potential clients, and other contractors, you can only deduct 50 percent of the cost.

Commuting expenses: Self-employed individuals working from home can deduct the cost of driving to see a client or go to a work location. Keep a record of this driving or else the IRS can deny you the deduction.

Medical insurance expenses: Contractors can deduct 100 percent of the health insurance premiums paid for themselves, their spouse, and dependents, which will reduce their income tax.

Retirement plans: Contractors are able to establish IRAs such as an SEP (Simplified Employee Pension Plan) or a Keogh plan, through which you can deposit 20 percent of your net earnings, your net profit minus the deduction for one of the halves of your self-employment tax.

Overlapping Deductions

Travel expenses: If you're scheduled to take a business trip to another U.S. city, by spending a few more days there as vacation, you can deduct 100 percent of your airfare expenses! Just make sure the days for business take up more of your trip than your vacation. Also, lodging, hotel tips and 50 percent of meals are eligible to deducted only for the business days.

Hobby/business: For employees that aren't really independent contractors but have a hobby such as growing vegetables that you sell to others, you can report your business income and expenses on your normal 1040 tax return (Schedule C) and deduct the expenses related to your business. However, if your business is not profitable, the IRS will investigate your losses as a tax shelter. If your business is profitable for three out of five years however, consider yourself in the clear.

Education expenses: The IRS college tax credit comes in two ways: the American Opportunity Tax Credit and the Lifetime Learning tax credit. The IRS will credit your tax bill and fund up to 40 percent of your college tax credit in the first, with the latter being more flexible for any professional taking college courses to better their employment opportunities.

Health insurance premiums: Starting in 2014, those who get their health insurance coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace are eligible for the premium tax credit, which you can have some or all of the estimated credit paid in advance to your insurance company to lower your out-of-pocket expenses during 2014, or get it later and wait to get all of the credit when you file your 2014 tax return in 2015.

Business-related goods: Clothing and equipment like scrubs, lap coats, and tools can be deducted, as well as laundering and cleaning these items. Additionally, professional journals, subscriptions, and reference books are deductible as well as the business-use percentage of Internet expenses and the cost of online research.


Commuting expenses: A loophole has made it possible to deduct the cost of commuting to your place of employment. Some employers in America have begun participating in commute benefit programs, such as TransitChek. Due to this, employees can make pre-tax deductions from monthly paychecks to cover your expenses, which functions as a deduction from your overall taxable income (since the money is deducted from your paycheck before taxes). However, only 6 percent of American employees participate in these commuter benefit programs.

Work expenses not covered by employers: You can deduct items such as uniforms you are required to buy and wear, dues if you belong to a union and other professional organizations, and business-related vehicle expenses like gas and repairs.

Travel and auto expenses: Travel expenses are deductible as long as you incurred the costs for traveling between workplaces (not a home office like the ones contractors work out of) and you can even deduct the cost of laundry, baggage, telephone bills, tips, and meals when traveling. You can deduct parking to attend a business meeting, and if your car is used for business purposes, you can deduct either your car expenses for the year or the standard mileage rate, which was 56.5 cents per mile in 2013.

Job search expenses: During your current occupation, you can deduct anything from the cost of producing and printing your resumes to travel expenses you accumulate while interviewing for a job.

Passport: This is only if you need to buy one for a business trip. All in all, though contract workers are known to get slammed during tax season, there are plenty of ways for these individuals to minimize their taxable income and get quite a few breaks, and, employees who have the fortune of having their tax burden shared with their employers, also have a few significant ways to save.

Related Articles
  1. Taxes

    Before You Visit Your Tax Preparer: Do This

    The earlier you start preparing your tax records and documents, the more likely you are to have a smooth tax return experience – and all the tax benefits you're due.
  2. Taxes

    New Taxes Under The Affordable Care Act

    Find out what you need to know about the 21 new tax changes linked to the ACA.
  3. Taxes

    How To Get The Most Money Back On Your Tax Return

    These tips will help you get a larger refund this year, while teaching you how to pay less taxes going forward.
  4. Taxes

    Tax Breaks For Second-Home Owners

    Owning a second home is a great investment for a variety of reasons, but you need to know the tax implications of multi-home ownership.
  5. Savings

    Tax-Smart Ways To Help Your Kids/Grandkids Pay For College

    Learn about plans and accounts that allow you to efficiently save for your child or grandchild’s education while shielding the savings from the IRS as much as possible.
  6. Taxes

    New Tax Rules Target The Top Tax Bracket

    The American Taxpayer Relief Act brings about new tax rules for the wealthy that people such as Warren Buffett have been calling for over the last few years.
  7. Investing News

    Obama Floats $10 a Barrel Oil Tax

    President Obama intends to propose a $10 a barrel tax on oil; consumers might have to cough up 25 cents more per gallon.
  8. Taxes

    Confused About Estimated Tax Deadlines for 2016?

    If you run a business or have investment income, pay attention to this year's estimated tax deadlines. Here are the details, and what's new for 2016.
  9. Retirement

    Retirement Plan Tax Prep Checklist

    Here's a list of items you need to have in order by tax time, including paying attention to those pesky required minimum distributions.
  10. Markets

    The (Expected) Market Impact of the 2016 Election

    With primary season upon us, investor attention is beginning to turn to the upcoming U.S. presidential election.
  1. Are Flexible Spending Account (FSA) items tax deductible?

    Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) are employer-sponsored, tax-favored savings plans expressly for the future reimbursement ... Read Full Answer >>
  2. How Long Should I Keep My Tax Records?

    The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has some hard and fast rules regarding how long taxpayers should keep their tax records. As ... Read Full Answer >>
  3. Is dental insurance tax deductible?

    Dental insurance premiums may be tax deductible. To be deductible as a qualifying medical expense, the dental insurance must ... Read Full Answer >>
  4. Are personal loans tax deductible?

    Interest paid on personal loans is not tax deductible. If you take out a loan to buy a car for personal use or to cover other ... Read Full Answer >>
  5. Are Flexible Spending Account (FSA) contributions tax deductible?

    The contributions you make to your Flexible Spending Account (FSA) are not tax-deductible because the accounts are funded ... Read Full Answer >>
  6. Does a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) cover braces?

    Funds from a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) can be used to cover costs associated with installing, maintaining and removing ... Read Full Answer >>
Trading Center