portfolio hedge is purchased in the form of a spread.
1) The call is an option on ABC Corp. with a $3 premium and a $55 exercise.
2) The put is an option on ABC Corp. with a $1 premium and a $45 exercise.
What is the value of the hedge with a 20% probability of ABC E(v) at $40, a 60% E(v) at $50 (current price), and a 20% E(v) at $60?
First, calculate the net gains/losses under each probability.
50, the value is: cost of the spread ($1 x 100 share
put) + ($3 x 100 share call). So 100 + 300 = $400
cost (or -400) of the spread.
1) The $50 per share level has no gain or loss with a cost of -400, so at $50 per share the profit/loss is -$400.
2) At $60 per share, the put is worth zero since the price of the stock is more than the put's exercise price (45). The call is worth 60-55 or $500 for 100 shares with a cost of -400, or a net of $100, so at $60 per share the profit/loss is $100.
3) At $40 per share, the call won't be exercised because the ABC stock price is under the exercise price of the call ($55). The put is worth 45-40, or $500 with a cost of -400, so at $40 per share the profit/loss is $100.
Finally, sum the probabilities:
* -400 = -240
.2 * 100 = 20
.2 * 100 = 20
The value of the hedge turned out to be -$200. What would it be if there were a 40% chance of stability (no gain or loss) and a 40% chance the put would be exercised at an actual of 30? Knowing how these sensitivities work, and the direction ups and downs take the end result, is key to quick responses on many of the CFA questions!
Learn how the strike prices for call and put options work, and understand how different types of options can be exercised ...
Learn how traders use put options in their trading strategies to remain profitable, even in a bear market. Everyday investors ...
Find out more about option spread strategies, and how to set the strike prices for bull call spreads and bull put spreads ...
Learn about stock index options, including differences between single stock options and index options, and understand different ...
Learn how sold puts can be utilized in different types of hedging strategies, and understand some of the more common option ...
The correct answer is: a) Rule for a long call position: If at expiry, the asset price settles below the expiry price, Do ...
An option contract giving the owner the right, but not the obligation, ...
The exercise of an option prior to its expiration date. Early ...
When the buyer of a call option exercises the option. In options ...
A two-dimensional graphical representation that displays the ...
An option that can be exercised anytime during its life. American ...
A type of option which is always settled in cash. Upon exercise, ...